#1 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1938 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 11 November 2020 - 11:25 PM

Im a few days away but im already excited about the upcoming season.
The trip to bunny island is going to finally happen end of November!!
The painting i commissioned should be ready to hang next week
http://imgur.com/gallery/hebx19k

And finally the hounds are well fed, well rested, and ready to go!
can i go hunting yet??

#2 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11749 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 12 November 2020 - 07:41 AM

I hope there is lots around for you

Seen quite a few this summer in fact lots but not so many now and seeing and hearing coyotes again more than normal sad.png

Mama for pictures puts a million miles it seems on my truck on old dirt roads here in the woods and even commented on how many rabbits were being seen this year  Time will tell

All the best

#3 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1938 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 16 November 2020 - 07:36 AM

The day has arrived. Not the best of days with the high winds and wet weather but ill be out for a few hours to run the energy outta this pup if nothing else. Boomer is currently curled up by the woodstove with Maggie beside him, soaking in the heat.
The guys should arrive atound 9 and then the fun begins. Hopefully we can get a few and start the season with positive results, ill let yall know once we get back from the adventure.
can i go hunting yet??

#4 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11749 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 16 November 2020 - 08:16 AM

Best of luck today smile.png

#5 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1938 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 16 November 2020 - 09:37 PM

The guys arrived early almost as excited as i was. Once the guys arrived and the hounds realized what was happening they too got excited and were waiting to go, rain or no rain.
Being the first day i was as organized as a kindergarten class going for candy.
Once we got going boomer had a smile that we could see as we walked to the spot we would be hunting.
It was a quick walk in the rain with a few friendly jabs before i released the hounds. They milled around for a minute before they realized they had a job to do and were off and running
In less than 2 minutes boomer found the first one and was quickly joined by Maggie. We moved into the woods just in time to see the flash of brown cross the path ahead. The bunny tried to evade the hounds by making a quick circle and into our shooting lane, a quick shot and#1 was in the bag.
Not bad less than 5 min and one already

#2 would be a little more work as it was crossing the brook and the hounds didn't want to get wetter so they were looking for a drier spot tocross. It took about 45min to get into the right spot and stop #2 with a surgical removal of the cranium using the trusty 12ga. No pellets into the body of the bunny.
The hounds slowed down long enough to get a liver and heart treat before running off to find another.
Next one was started by Maggie, the 1.5yr old, as boomer was showing his age and speed walking to follow the scent. Once again it took some time to get situated before tony stopped it with his win94 410!!
Boomer made another circle before be came and sat beside us and watched as the bunny was cleaned and bagged. His day was over. We caught Maggie and headed home as the sun crept out from behind the rain clouds
Not a bad way to start, 3 bunnies in 3 hours in lousy conditions
can i go hunting yet??

#6 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9280 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 17 November 2020 - 04:29 AM

kool stuff Tim!!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#7 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1938 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 24 November 2020 - 08:45 PM

Calling cb bunny hunters
Im coming up with the hounds tomorrow afternoon and am offering the opportunity to join me Thursday morning or Saturday morning.
If i have to do it solo i will but its better with a few guys. Send me a message with what day you want to join me and a contact number
can i go hunting yet??

#8 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Nova Scotia

Posted 25 November 2020 - 09:37 AM

The guys arrived early almost as excited as i was. Once the guys arrived and the hounds realized what was happening they too got excited and were waiting to go, rain or no rain.
Being the first day i was as organized as a kindergarten class going for candy.
Once we got going boomer had a smile that we could see as we walked to the spot we would be hunting.
It was a quick walk in the rain with a few friendly jabs before i released the hounds. They milled around for a minute before they realized they had a job to do and were off and running
In less than 2 minutes boomer found the first one and was quickly joined by Maggie. We moved into the woods just in time to see the flash of brown cross the path ahead. The bunny tried to evade the hounds by making a quick circle and into our shooting lane, a quick shot and#1 was in the bag.
Not bad less than 5 min and one already
#2 would be a little more work as it was crossing the brook and the hounds didn't want to get wetter so they were looking for a drier spot tocross. It took about 45min to get into the right spot and stop #2 with a surgical removal of the cranium using the trusty 12ga. No pellets into the body of the bunny.
The hounds slowed down long enough to get a liver and heart treat before running off to find another.
Next one was started by Maggie, the 1.5yr old, as boomer was showing his age and speed walking to follow the scent. Once again it took some time to get situated before tony stopped it with his win94 410!!
Boomer made another circle before be came and sat beside us and watched as the bunny was cleaned and bagged. His day was over. We caught Maggie and headed home as the sun crept out from behind the rain clouds
Not a bad way to start, 3 bunnies in 3 hours in lousy conditions

Sounds like fun to me , rain or no rain

#9 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1938 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 25 November 2020 - 02:28 PM

Sounds like fun to me , rain or no rain

A fella only gets so wet. As long as your warm and wet all is good if the hounds are singing!

I only get so many days out in cb with the hounds so every one counts.
can i go hunting yet??

#10 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1938 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 26 November 2020 - 06:48 PM

Didn't get wet today as i cheated and wore the rain pants
I was on my own today but still managed to see lots of bunnies running away.
First one was 100ft from the car with the hounds leashed. I cut them loose and the fun began. Several circles later #1 was down.
It was the only one i connected with despite the hounds best efforts. It was always me a step behind or the wrong side of the thickets.
The pup knows the game now and is running her own bunnies with boomer bringing up the rear and usually another bunny

Now to wait and rest for Saturday morning
can i go hunting yet??

#11 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5876 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 26 November 2020 - 07:19 PM

One is better then none plus ya had a great time. Good luck Saturday!
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#12 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1938 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 28 November 2020 - 07:43 PM

What a difference a little help is.
We were back to the same area albeit 100m farther down the road.
The hounds were turned loose because my arm couldn't handle the strain on the leashes.
9am is the usual start time.
905 first one down!
915 second one
925 third one was stopped as it tried to cross the road.
Things were off to an incredible start!
It took the hounds about 20min to get the next one to the road for us. They were getting wise to us being on the road so we moved into the alder thickets.
Finding a spot large enough to see what was coming and possibly get a shot was an issue, however once it was found you were in the thick of the action. The hounds separate as each one is running their own in different spots 150m apart. Things were getting fun.
Boomer was the first to beat the bunny out and by 1030 we had #5.
Maggie wasnt too far behind as she brought hers out too. A little fancy shooting as the bunny flashed across the road with her right behind and she grabs the still moving bunny, chomping it to death. She's a viscous hound putting a hurt on the bunny for making her run do far.
Both hounds were gathered up and moved back to where we started as theyd gotten back to where i was Thursday.
Although tired they were off again, and it wasnt long before they were chasing again.
Back into the alders we went and the next few stopped up.
Then the river barrier keeping the hounds corralled on our side was gone, across they went, chasing a bunny. Took about 2omin for us to get across and back into the game.
It was now 2pm and i was getting tired, i had 3 in my bag, so i called to catch the hounds. Maggie came when called but boomer was still chasing and refused to stop. We had to shoot the bunny to end his day. It wasnt long before he came back and the bunny was slowed up allowing me to release Maggie to catch it.
Boomer came over gave it a sniff and laid down, done for the day.
We had a dozen in just over 5hrs. Great day out with the hounds.
Now i gotta wait for the video highlights
can i go hunting yet??

#13 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11749 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 28 November 2020 - 08:00 PM

Glad to hear you had a great day

Cheers

#14 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2350 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 28 November 2020 - 10:02 PM

A 12 bunny day .you guys had some fun .

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

​Remington 1100 std weight 20ga 

#15 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1938 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 28 November 2020 - 10:14 PM

http://imgur.com/gallery/0eexg6c

The pup knows the game now and runs her own

If i have too many more days like this ill have to get stock in federal ammo.
Almost a box today...10 left
can i go hunting yet??

#16 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5876 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 28 November 2020 - 10:54 PM

http://imgur.com/gallery/0eexg6c
The pup knows the game now and runs her own
If i have too many more days like this ill have to get stock in federal ammo.
Almost a box today...10 left

Awesome stuff Tim!
Uhh did you say you got THREE rabbits. WITH 15 shots???
Now that’s shooting ! ! !
Best hope you don’t run into doc holiday or the duke
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#17 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9280 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 29 November 2020 - 06:41 AM

Sounds like an incredible day bud !! 

I remember them days...comin back to camp...first thing was 16 oz of CR mixed lightly and then cleaning the bun buns for a scoff of hare wings !!  Pressure cooked / deep fried rabbits cut up to resemble chicken wings, annnd of course, what great rabbit outting didn't have it's share of ...MAN..what a shot I madeph34r.png ph34r.png  ...orrrr...man...you MISSED that one rab three times..tongue.png tongue.png laugh.png laugh.png ....12  bunny days are rare now Tim. WTG bud !!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#18 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1938 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 30 November 2020 - 09:59 PM

Heres the video from Saturday morning run

can i go hunting yet??

#19 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11749 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 01 December 2020 - 06:12 AM

Thanks for sharing. Man is that a 22 in the video or a savage combo gun. That dude must be some shot if 22 smile.png

Cheers

#20 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1938 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 01 December 2020 - 08:10 AM

Kinda, he has a 22mag over a 20ga
He didnt get a chace to use the 22mag on a sitting bunny as the hounds were running separate bunnies most of the day creating a bit of chaos and constant action.
It was a very good day for us as well as the hounds.
can i go hunting yet??

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Buckmark