#81 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11749 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 08 January 2021 - 12:36 PM

Joe this is close to the picture i was telling rob i wanted.

I would bet Rob can capture something like that for you. I will also put the mrs on notice to do the same and try to get one like that

She takes rabbit pics all year but most are in the summer and fall

Cheers

#82 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1938 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 08 January 2021 - 01:04 PM

The picture i want is a white bunny sitting under a tree with snow on it.
Rob has been trying to get it for a few years, the closest he got was in last years calendar
can i go hunting yet??

#83 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11749 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 09 January 2021 - 10:24 AM

The picture i want is a white bunny sitting under a tree with snow on it.
Rob has been trying to get it for a few years, the closest he got was in last years calendar

Mama added it to her list smile.png

You must be a witch. I had three rabbits in the yard but have not seen them since august

Last night the three of them or some other three played on the lawn in the snow for about a hour in and out of the trees but too late to get mama out of bed for a pic unless I waned to die cool.png

#84 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1938 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 09 January 2021 - 07:02 PM

Was out again today for a run with the hounds
We let the hounds go in a new area and they ran around for a bit acting like fools before they settled down and started to work. Off to the races as we raced to get into position, two guys went into the woods and i stayed behind in case they made a break across the road.
No such luck after the second pass so we started in only to hear 2 shots. One down! The hounds continued chasing he had shot a stray the game was still on. Another 4 spins around without a sighting and it was time to move the hounds, so we gathered them up and moved across the road and 100m down.
Wasn't long before they were going again and we were moving. I stayed at the top of a hill with a good softwood line. The hounds were 100m out and turning up the hill, i readied and was waiting as the bunny flashed through the opposite edge of the ridge. I fired 2 only to see it run away. Maggie was first on the scene and thoroughly searched but found nothing. Boomer was still at the bottom of the hill 100m out sounding regularly. Started to move towards boomer when he was moving towards me. I found a decent spot and waited, it wasn't long before the flash was stopped. #2 down. Both hounds came to check out the bunny and get a treat as the bunny was cleaned.
It was 130 and we decided to have one more run before calling it quits. Maggie and boomer were off and chasing 200m away so once again we were moving. Down and away from where we were through some decent deer territory. I could hear something moving slowly to my right, as i turned to look there was a buck staring at me, a nice 8pt. Didnt last but a few seconds as he was outta there as the hounds turned towards me. They turned back the opposite way so i was going the long way to try to get in front. Once i got in front of boomer i saw he wad done for the day, i called and he came. Maggie was another 300m across the road so as i waited on the road one of the guys moved in to cut her off and leash her. She wasn't having any of that and evaded capture but when she heard me call she came running.
Day done
can i go hunting yet??

#85 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5876 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 10 January 2021 - 01:27 PM

So why weren’t you hunting there in deer season. Obviously that buck was making fun of you!
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈπŸŽ±πŸ¦ŒπŸ€ 

#86 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1938 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 10 January 2021 - 08:42 PM

Maybe but i got my deer so maybe he was just telling me to come back
can i go hunting yet??

#87 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1938 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:51 PM

What a day to be out.
We met up and walked down the trail before letting the hounds go. It was a short minute before they started singing. We spread out as the hounds chased after the elusive prey. I stayed to the back of the crowd to allow the others a chance. After 20min and several circles later it was time for me to show them how it should be done. I moved in and got in position as the hounds got closer, i readied myself, one if the other hunters alerted that the quarry had just flashed past him headed right for me. I spotted the bunny as it sped towards me, i prepared to fire as it came to a sudden halt behind a birch tree. BOOM!! #1 down. Maggie was first to the game and brought it to me as boomer brought up the rear.
Going farther down the trail again and the hounds began singing again. I stayed behind to clean the game as everyone else moved in to close the circle. When i was finished i moved down the trail to join the others.
The hounds were chasing in some real thick cover and no one was getting a chance, so we gathered up the hounds and moved.
Everyone grouped up and waited for the song, it wasnt long before it started and every one moved to get a shot. The hounds split up, each one chasing on different circles. A shot rang out, miss, Maggie was running an edge of the trail coming towards tony and i. 20m out no sign of the bunny do we figure it turned. 10m away and the bunny busts out 10ft in front of Tony, he missed, cycle issue prevented his follow up shot, i fired twice as it ran away into the thicket, Maggie was just behind it and found it in the thicket and brought it to me.
Boomer was still chasing his and another shot rings out. #3 down.
Before we regrouped the hounds were off again.
Several shots, misses, another shot and " hes running up the trail" i stand up from cleaning the rabbit to see the rabbit running full out at me. I took one step towards the racing rabbit to push it into the woods where the hounds were searching. The hounds made a few more circles but we were unable to capitalize.
We gathered the hounds and headed out. A few hours out and 3 bunnies. Weather was around freezing all day with sunshine and no wind.
Great day to get out
can i go hunting yet??

#88 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1938 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:19 AM

Boomer was recently featured on an ethical omnivore Facebook page after someone saw the 23dec2020 picture of boomer in the back of the truck with the bunnies on the tailgate.
A friend of mine who started doing the videos of us hunting then did a highlight video of boomer 2015-2020.
Its great for me to watch a superb hound work over the years and watch him age. He also included the hounds we've lost,
Have a seat and enjoy the following Bunny Busters production

can i go hunting yet??

#89 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2514 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted Yesterday, 05:33 PM

nice there's some boomer footage - checked out the EOM site too.

#90 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2514 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted Yesterday, 05:35 PM

gotta ask what happened at 8:35 of the vid?

#91 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1938 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted Yesterday, 09:45 PM

gotta ask what happened at 8:35 of the vid?

He fired at the bunny crossing as i backed into the brush, he fired mid road and no pellets hit me. It was close but i was fine.
can i go hunting yet??

#92 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2514 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted Today, 05:47 AM

OK, god. scary looking in the vid.

#93 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11749 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted Today, 08:07 AM

He fired at the bunny crossing as i backed into the brush, he fired mid road and no pellets hit me. It was close but i was fine.

Hope he is not a guy you hunt with normally and if not I would not be again

Close is not something acceptable when guns are involved

Cheers

#94 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9280 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted Today, 08:16 AM

Absolutely love these videos, but this one I had to look over more than once...I was gonna say the same thing Tim....he kept telling you to watch out..watch out...IMHO he should never have pulled the trigger !!`

That rabbit would have gotten a free pass on the road..esp if that close between 2 hunters ....at the very least, the shot should should have been made before he made the road or waited till he hit the woods after he crossed.

Shot pellets will ricochet very easily...even off of alders and small birch ! 

...There's a couple of other parts I would have edited / left out too...just to keep the anti's away.

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users