3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 13 November 2020 - 06:59 PM

Here is one for you Kevin ever seen one of these

Had a guy today pounding on the door with a shotgun that the action was jammed and would not cycle

Out of the case it came to see a old ithaca XL 900 20 gauge semi with three live rounds in it ohmy.png

I asked why he didnot take the barrel off and remove the round in the chamber and said he was too nervous but put the trigger lock on wacko.png

Ok I took the barrel off and that took care of one round but man was the action jammed

Got a flashlight and could see a round sitting on top of the lifting carrier / latch and under the action so figured ok pop the trigger pins , pull the trigger and remove the rounds

Out comes the pins, trigger moves a little bit and then no way

Took another look and said where is the brass on the shell OMG it is in the mag tube the shell is in backwardsunsure.png

Never seen that in all my years. Well take the mag tube retainer and spring out and get it that way

Good plan until I seen the plastic plug recessed in the tube and the retainer soldered in to allow the plug to be quickly removed

Nice bubba job

So normally would melt it out but cannot do that with live rounds in there plus I hate working on any gun like that with live rounds but sometimes one has no choice

1 hour later with a dremel out it comes and WTF not one shell in backwards in the mag tube but two

I never thought that would be possible since how would the catch hold the first shell in the tube but I think that extra 1/2" of play from the plug mod must have somehow allowed him to do it since he did

Then I am thinking man thank god he never seen a bird and fired it god knows what would have blown with that action jammed so bad and with live rounds to boot jamming it since he only discovered the problem when going home and trying to unload

Off he went happy as a clam and I have some fresh deer sausage coming in exchange. LOL I work for food not moneytongue.png

This is the third shotgun I have worked on  in just over a week for others and he said old seized 1187 I worked on told him to come here

With my age and health and current activities not something I want to get into but I seem to recall Walter you saying you have a smith background so if interested might be time to hang that shingle in the cape since it seems no one here working on guns any more and a need for it

Cheers

#2 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 13 November 2020 - 07:22 PM

Ive seen 22 shells in backwards in a tube fed semi. It was an easy fix, pop the tube rod and i dumped everything out
can i go hunting yet??

#3 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 13 November 2020 - 07:23 PM

Ive seen 22 shells in backwards in a tube fed semi. It was an easy fix, pop the tube rod and i dumped everything out

Yep me too but never in shotgun

Cheers

#4 30-06

30-06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 12:38 AM

Some firearms must be complex, how does one put shells in backwards?

#5 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 14 November 2020 - 07:16 AM

Have never seen it done in my life and been around guys with shotguns a lot of years and this just a standard semi action like a 1100 etc

Cheers

#6 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2711 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 14 November 2020 - 09:09 AM

I watched someone a number of years ago load a round in his Winchester model 94 in caliber 30-30, when he proceeded to work the lever the round jammed the gun up solid.

Eventually with a lot of effort he got the round back out of the gun.

The issue he had was, 303 British rounds don't work in a 30-30 blink.png huh.png

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#7 bakerpete

bakerpete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts
  • Locationhammonds plains

Posted 14 November 2020 - 10:37 AM

I know a guy who was out bird hunting one time ,and when a partridge flushed in front of him the shotgun wouldn't fire .Bad shell he figured until he opened it up and found he had a "vicks inhailer " chambered tongue.png instead of a shell .

Wish i had half the skill with a rifle my dad had(rest in peace  Dad).

#8 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 14 November 2020 - 10:38 AM

I know a guy who was out bird hunting one time ,and when a partridge flushed in front of him the shotgun wouldn't fire .Bad shell he figured until he opened it up and found he had a "vicks inhailer " chambered tongue.png instead of a shell .

Now that is funny  laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png

#9 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 14 November 2020 - 11:00 AM

Nope...never as far in as all the way in the mag tube Joe !  ...I've taken lots out that were in battery, and jammed between the carrier and next advancing round..and have fixed a few older mossbergs that couldn't keep a shell in the magazine...but not what you did !

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#10 682bubba

682bubba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCape Breton Island NS Canada

Posted 14 November 2020 - 11:36 AM

At night lol i'd say it would be pretty easy or a kid was playin with it .

#11 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 14 November 2020 - 01:39 PM

At night lol i'd say it would be pretty easy or a kid was playin with it .

He is over 60 and been hunting about 30 years. That being said he normally uses an over / under browning he said and rarely has the semi out. It was mint for an old Ithaca XL900 and a 20ga to boot

Still I think it was not a mistake I think he honestly thought they went in that way

I just cannot understand how the first one backward stayed in the tube for him to push a second in or it did pop out 1/2 way and he then pushed the two in together and the old carrier snapped closed

Cheers

#12 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 14 November 2020 - 01:40 PM

Nope...never as far in as all the way in the mag tube Joe !  ...I've taken lots out that were in battery, and jammed between the carrier and next advancing round..and have fixed a few older mossbergs that couldn't keep a shell in the magazine...but not what you did !

Agree but never one of those even backwards for me

Cheers

#13 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:55 AM

Well after the last three shotguns I have fixed that were dropped off I added a tool I thought I would never need to my 22/shotgun cleaning kit today sad.png  A hammerwacko.png

3IDJsrA.jpg

#14 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:17 PM

Where's your steel wool wound brushes at  ??  wink.png  looks like a lot of that stuff hasn't seen the bore of a shotgun yet... happy.png ....my mops are much dirtier than that Joe tongue.png ...least till I wash them out again

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#15 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 21 November 2020 - 02:04 PM

Where's your steel wool wound brushes at  ??  wink.png  looks like a lot of that stuff hasn't seen the bore of a shotgun yet... happy.png ....my mops are much dirtier than that Joe tongue.png ...least till I wash them out again

Never used them. There is some brass/ bronze  and stainless brushes there. I don't own remington shot guns made after 87 for the most part so never need them

No a lot hasn't because I try to dirty just one at a time and when it gets too dirty toss it and buy new ones. I have never washed one honestly. Some should be replaced but TRUE 10ga and 28ga are not always easy to find  . Plus when I find them will buy 1/2 a dozen normally until prices started to go nuts from 2.99 to 12.99

Plus my own guns are totally  cleaned EVERY time they are outside triggers, actions  the works out even if one round is fired and if not still wiped down so the mops or guns don't get real dirty

Mag tubes maybe every 10 times shot and action springs in stocks only when it seems it is required

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users