#1 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Nova Scotia

Posted 19 November 2020 - 06:20 PM

So I am thinking that a 35 Whelen would make a good moose /elk rifle at a max of 250 yards with a 225 grain pill. Maybe a good project rifle over the winter using a Mauser action . Just something about big pills without the recoil of a 30 cal. magnum, I have absolutely no need for such a rifle but that has never stopped me before. Ya gotta have a project especially with covid 19 knocking at the door !

#2 adam_h

adam_h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 19 November 2020 - 07:12 PM

I see your moose gun and raise you a plinker  (or is that really a raise?).   My project is rebuilding a Marlin 1899 in 38-40.

#3 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 07:43 PM

Nice project. Had to google this cartridge. Cool enough to make cartridge Hall of Fame

#4 adam_h

adam_h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 19 November 2020 - 10:52 PM

yup, absolutely useless cartridge.  lol, that's half the fun.   Oddly a 38-40 is more common and easier to load than a 32-40 and I shoot one of those too.

#5 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:36 AM

The 35W has a following like a cult for sure and there is a few guys on nutz into them big time one from New Brunswick. Those guys love them

I have never hunted or even fired one but do still have one NIB

Some years ago I was at Epps and at the time I was collecting remington 760/7600 rifles just by luck their was a new 7600 35W there on the shelf and in carbine so I bought it

I found out later on nutz it was one of only six in carbine and wood to ever come into canada and epps got all six. Lots of regular barrels around but no carbines

The value today is over 3X what I paid for it and growing and have names of 35W collectors  who wants it when the time comes to sell so it is an investment to me and will stay NIB

One of those buy like T10ga and the gun case

Cheers 

B8ryUL7.jpg

#6 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:49 AM

I shot one a long time ago...buddy of mine had one...They're like a 30-06 on a bit of a steroid kick...lol  Similar in bark..little more bite. 

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#7 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2711 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:42 PM

The 35W has a following like a cult for sure and there is a few guys on nutz into them big time one from New Brunswick. Those guys love them

I have never hunted or even fired one but do still have one NIB

Some years ago I was at Epps and at the time I was collecting remington 760/7600 rifles just by luck their was a new 7600 35W there on the shelf and in carbine so I bought it

I found out later on nutz it was one of only six in carbine and wood to ever come into canada and epps got all six. Lots of regular barrels around but no carbines

The value today is over 3X what I paid for it and growing and have names of 35W collectors  who wants it when the time comes to sell so it is an investment to me and will stay NIB

One of those buy like T10ga and the gun case

Cheers 

B8ryUL7.jpg

Always wanted a 35 Whelen myself, I would say that was a smart purchase on your part 3macs1.

I see them occasionally come up on the used market but have not jumped on one yet.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#8 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 20 November 2020 - 01:40 PM

Always wanted a 35 Whelen myself, I would say that was a smart purchase on your part 3macs1.

I see them occasionally come up on the used market but have not jumped on one yet.

Didnot known it at the time. It was just a caliper of 7600 that I didnot own in my 7600 collection at the time at looking to me at epps saying buy me :)

I will never use it now that I know the carbine model was very rare in canada regular barrel fairly common per all the discussions on nutz and will sell it off eventually more than likely when the daughter needs another few grand for books or something sad.png

Cheers

#9 Sir William

Sir William

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • LocationWestville, Pictou County

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:46 PM

I have shot the Ackley Improved version.

#10 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 10:58 PM

I wonder what the chances are of finding a Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS with wood furniture in 35 Whelen would be? I probable have a better chance of scoring a Cape Breton Moose Tag!,

#11 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:33 AM

I wonder what the chances are of finding a Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS with wood furniture in 35 Whelen would be? I probable have a better chance of scoring a Cape Breton Moose Tag!,

Did they even make them in SS?? A blued one is doable. Profit river had ten 4 years ago and could more than likely still order one

Cheers

Ruger M77 wood/blued 35 whelen
Ruger just did a run of these and have 'given' us ten. Will be a few weeks until delivery. Will take orders now if you are wanting one.
$1179

#12 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:26 AM

I'll be dammed they do make them

Seems it is called the "all weather " version

https://www.gunsinte...un_id=101250955

#13 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:20 PM

Lots of the "all weather" versions are now cerakoted to look like stainless....and what stainless version are out there has lots of carbon in em...they can and WILL rust.

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#14 3030blaster

3030blaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:30 PM

I was shopping for one few year ago but wasn't able to find what I wanted. I built one instead using a donor Savage 110, McGowen barrel, and Boyd's Heritage stock. Shoots Hornady 200gr RNSPs pretty well so far. Sierra 225 gr GameKings not so good, so I am testing Barnes 225 gr TSX tomorrow.

#15 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:40 PM

I was shopping for one few year ago but wasn't able to find what I wanted. I built one instead using a donor Savage 110, McGowen barrel, and Boyd's Heritage stock. Shoots Hornady 200gr RNSPs pretty well so far. Sierra 225 gr GameKings not so good, so I am testing Barnes 225 gr TSX tomorrow.

#16 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:48 PM

That sounds like the root I may take if I cannot find what I would like. I want an action with CRF and stainless is not necessary. I do have a P17 complete rifle but it has the military peep sight and would need to be milled if I want to scope it. I too , like the look of the Boyd's Heritage stock. Let us know how the 225 pills work out.

#17 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:50 PM

Lots of the "all weather" versions are now cerakoted to look like stainless....and what stainless version are out there has lots of carbon in em...they can and WILL rust.

#18 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:59 PM

You are correct. Lots of people think All Weather" means care free. No so. They need the same care as any rifle and any moisture caused by quick change of temperature needs to be addressed just like that from rain or snow.

#19 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:59 PM

Why am I not shocked

Can we say make it cheap :(

#20 Tombraider

Tombraider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationLower Sackville

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:14 PM

Since you may be doing a project, may I suggest for your consideration....

350 Remington magnum- same stats as 35 whelan; but in a short action. love mine, works for deer too! 

P.E.T.A.- PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users