#1 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5739 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 19 November 2020 - 08:57 PM

The summary booklet says you must have certain items while hunting, a compass being one of those items.

Years ago the booklet said you must have a compass IF you were in an area you were NOT familiar with.

So have the actual regulations changed or did they just simplify the summary booklet.
In other words MUST I carry a compass ?

Where WOT when ya need him lol.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#2 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts
  • LocationMiddle Stewiacke

Posted 19 November 2020 - 11:03 PM

https://nslegislatur...es/wildlife.pdf

Section 75 states any person entering the woods to hunt must carry a working compass.

Also must be able to show an officer that you can use it!

A question I’ve always had is, it only states “entering the woods”. So is pheasant Hunting a field not requiring a compass? Duck hunting? Hunting down an old road? Deer hunting a farm pasture?

Once again our laws are vaguely written as usual.

For example apparently only Hunters must get lost. Fishermen and hikers aren’t required by law to carry it. Haha
Time to start hunting them coyotes, I think!!!!

#3 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1250 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:06 AM

I always carry a compass. Yes ... it is a foolish law nowadays, IMO, but I carry one anyway. I also have a box of waterproof matches, even though I also carry 3 butane lighters with me. I’m sure those matches are 30+ years old.  I have been turned around in the woods a few times ... and now I just take out my phone and look at google maps. It shows exactly where you are and what direction you are headed. So many apps you can get for your phone now, and a lot of people carry hand held GPS units. Compasses are, for the most part ... obsolete.

#4 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:21 AM

Obsolete IMO until you are lost and one of your electronic devices stops working

For what it costs and weighs I agree it still should be mandatory

Not to mention not all hunters own modern phones or gps

Cheers

#5 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:41 AM

I was helping hants west wildlife association run a hunters ed course and i was doing the hands on compass section. Out of 50 compasses they had only 6 were any good. I did some online searching and ended up getting 100 shipped to my door with all duties paid for $98.
Came from china, 7 day shipping, and they arrived on time. A little smaller than my silva but same design and look. They will be used in the next course in January or February.
can i go hunting yet??

#6 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:02 AM

Yup...I always carry my compass...always have.

Growing up in a fishing village and rowing dories up and down the harbour...a box compass was must have gear for me...and of course knowing how to use it. , my uncle INSISTED that it was in the dory, along with a metal bottomed bailer, extra plug with a pc of linen sheet, 3 sets of dory oars and 4 spare tholepins. 

Tim.... that sure tells ya what stuff is REALLY worth huh ?? rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#7 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:05 AM

fella standing on the government wharf one day we were rowing by...he hollered.." do you have 2 oars in your boat" ??...I said .."NO 'BY...one's me mudder and one's me sister "  laugh.png laugh.png

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#8 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1250 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:52 AM

Joe ... I actually carry 3 compasses with me. A good one and a not so good one.... and also a small compass on my grunt call. I think it should still be mandatory ... but we are in the 21st century now and technology is great ... but like you said ... if your cell phone or GPS craps the bed ... you are chit out of luck. A trick I learned in elementary school.... if you are lost ... take a twig and put some fir sap on one end and put it in the water. The sappy end will always point to magnetic north.

#9 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2711 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:28 PM

fella standing on the government wharf one day we were rowing by...he hollered.." do you have 2 oars in your boat" ??...I said .."NO 'BY...one's me mudder and one's me sister "  laugh.png laugh.png

I always spent a lot of time around boats since an early age as well, and with all the safety equipment.

I had to read your post twice before I got, and then almost choked on a sandwich I was eating!!smile.png

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#10 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2711 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:30 PM

compasses will become obsolete when they will require batteries. Until then I will always have one in the woods or on a boat.smile.png  

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#11 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2333 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 20 November 2020 - 01:03 PM

compasses will become obsolete when they will require batteries. Until then I will always have one in the woods or on a boat.smile.png  

Actually a magnetic compass will only become obsolete when the magnetic poles of the earth cease to exist . And no one should ever count on an electronic devise there are just to many things that can happen with it . 

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

​Remington 1100 std weight 20ga 

#12 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 20 November 2020 - 01:45 PM

Compass will make a big come back in this new generation when they get our age and cannot wiggle their thumbs any more biggrin.png

Me I have one of these little silva versions as a back up on every hunting and out door jacket zipper I own for 40 years now as do my brother that hunts in the US and that saved his ass just a couple of years ago when his gps stopped working and he was in unfamiliar woods

Cheers

4tZB9hO.jpg

#13 adam_h

adam_h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 20 November 2020 - 03:15 PM

I find it strange that hikers & fishers aren't required to carry all three.  Even if your magnetic compass is pointing wrong and you have no idea what magnetic declamation is a compass will keep you going in a straight line at a minimum.  In Nova scotia even if you go the wrong way you're going to  hit a road eventually.

#14 labradort

labradort

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 20 November 2020 - 03:46 PM

I've read from DNR, the maximum distance one could travel anywhere in the province in a straight line before hitting a road is 10KM.  Depending on how many bogs, pencil thickness trees, and twisted root clear cuts, involved in that path, it could be a hard go.

The actual text in the Wildlife Act is:

No person shall enter any woods for the purpose of hunting unless that person possesses survival equipment that includes

( a ) a compass in working order;
( b ) a hand axe, or hunting knife or jack-knife;
( c ) a supply of waterproof matches or matches in a waterproof container or a source that is capable of producing a flame; and
( d ) any other item prescribed by regulation

This is covered in the hunter's education course.

As for compass accuracy, please tell me the old orienteering models with plexi-glass mount are good ones?

#15 adam_h

adam_h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 20 November 2020 - 04:00 PM

10k can be a long go.... but it's shorter than walking in circles while lost :)    And maybe more important it might prevent panic which to me is the real sign of "lost".  I've been in the woods lots of times with no idea where I was but I've never been "lost".

Just check your compass against a reliable source.  The needle can lose magnetism or sometimes even get reversed.     

#16 3006semiauto

3006semiauto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationCole Harbour

Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:05 PM

I take a GPS and a compass, was turned arround once in an area I wasn't familiar with luckily got out just before dark thanks to another hunter who knew where he was won't happen to me again I use the GPS to see exactly where I am and the compass to get where I want to go it's great peace of mind also have back up batteries for the GPS.

#17 bakerpete

bakerpete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts
  • Locationhammonds plains

Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:51 PM

x2  The wife is always after me to carry a cell phone in the woods with me .I tell her ,if i ever don't make it out of the woods ,just follow the ravens all the way to my body tongue.png.

Wish i had half the skill with a rifle my dad had(rest in peace  Dad).

#18 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:51 PM

I've never been lost in the woods....but I was once with a guy who was..

#19 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2463 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:01 PM

it applies only to hunters because back in the day, there were a lot of lost people in NS. The majority were hunters - most hunters took to the woods and not many setup over 1 spot as is done today. So, due to the large amount of resources required to find lost people, Lands & Forests implemented the reg into the wildlife act we hunters still have to abide by today. 

some info - after, the young fella, Andy Warburton got lost, in the mid-80's, a unniversity or two did a study on lost people, search/rescue efforts, etc - from that study & the data collected, Nova Scotia was named the LOST PERSON CAPITAL OF NORTH AMERICA.

#20 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2463 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:02 PM

I've never been lost in the woods....but I was once with a guy who was..

I was with that same guy, a cpl times, I think.biggrin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users