#1 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:21 AM

I hope everyone has a good stock on hand since we are in for another shortage you can bet the farm on that

At least have the components in to make a good supply if you reload to keep going

Cheers

https://calibremag.c...unition-orders/

#2 adam_h

adam_h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:27 AM

I have 60 pounds of .357 wadcutter lead projectiles if anyone needs some.  lol

#3 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2711 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 21 November 2020 - 12:26 PM

I am fully stocked up in reloading components and rimfire, centerfire ammo not so much, but then I don't need to be since I reload.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#4 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:07 PM

I guess I'll be ok for the next lil bit  wink.png wink.png

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#5 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 21 November 2020 - 02:11 PM

It is shocking to me how many guys that shoot a lot that have nothing stashed

I think they are in for a big shock

Cheers

#6 Joyrider

Joyrider

So much anger towards everything... :-(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1472 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 21 November 2020 - 03:58 PM

It is shocking to me how many guys that shoot a lot that have nothing stashed

I think they are in for a big shock

Cheers

What do you think the cause is?  Has production gone down or is it just demand / stockpiling...?   

If it's demand, that should be temporary right?

This isn't something I really follow but you've been right in the past (thanks, I got some 20G when you mentioned it before).  

R

#7 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:17 PM

What do you think the cause is?  Has production gone down or is it just demand / stockpiling...?   

If it's demand, that should be temporary right?

This isn't something I really follow but you've been right in the past (thanks, I got some 20G when you mentioned it before).  

R

It is production,  demand and shipping right now. Demand gone nuts in the US with the election and the virus

They say this shortage will be a long one

Cheers

Record-high U.S. demand and Covid-19-related manufacturing and shipping shutdowns have drained supply, the Canadian Sporting Arms and Ammunition Association said Nov. 10 on its website.

https://www.csaaa.or...under-pressure/

#8 Joyrider

Joyrider

So much anger towards everything... :-(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1472 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:51 AM

It is production, demand and shipping right now. Demand gone nuts in the US with the election and the virus
They say this shortage will be a long one
Cheers

Record-high U.S. demand and Covid-19-related manufacturing and shipping shutdowns have drained supply, the Canadian Sporting Arms and Ammunition Association said Nov. 10 on its website.

https://www.csaaa.or...under-pressure/

Thanks!

#9 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1250 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:10 PM

I have it in my noggin to buy a new Browning X-bolt Pro ... but would like a different caliber than 30-06 or 308. I can’t come to terms with that because I have enough ‘06 and 308 ammo to start a war. Getting a different caliber ... I might be in trouble when it comes time to find ammo. I predict a big shortage for a long time. 

#10 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:14 PM

I have it in my noggin to buy a new Browning X-bolt Pro ... but would like a different caliber than 30-06 or 308. I can’t come to terms with that because I have enough ‘06 and 308 ammo to start a war. Getting a different caliber ... I might be in trouble when it comes time to find ammo. I predict a big shortage for a long time. 

Wonder how much more you will pay now for a new one vs last year. Some say a lot of price gouging going on but I am not checking to know

Cheers

#11 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1250 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 23 November 2020 - 05:38 AM

The prices vary now.... as low as $2200 ... up to $2750. As some of these are limited production ... I’m sure they will become more expensive as time goes on. There is one in Canadian Tire (of all places) in Halifax for over 2700. It is a 30-06. I would probably buy it if it was $500 cheaper. It’s one of those want / need kinda things. I certainly don’t need it, but I just like those rifles for some reason. 

#12 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:04 AM

Lots of price gouging is taking place , not just ammo but yes firearms new hand used , was looking at Browning AB3 Hunter in .243 for Yes the Wife ! Cause now she's got the bug shooting the daughters .243 and enjoys it

So figure I buy used one for her just in case , well used prices starts at $800 (unknown round count as ñever get the truth ) plus shipping this is wood stocked model , then for giggles I checked new prices The gun dealer was yes slightly more .

Then checked locally , brand new in synthetic was $659 +tax, wood stock $729+tax , then called over to Newfie to my cousin to go check Coastal outdoors for me to see what they had in çlearence section or marked down sale , Let's say shopping around new paid off in long run .

Everything is getting price gouged , groceries , lumber , ammo , and so on , with the way things are today , one really needs step up and do their homework to get best bang for their buck .

Oh and there's ammo available cause Coastal Outdoors over on the rock just got in a million dollars worth of ammo , saying that it's a drop in the bucket in some ways , but if they can aquire that amount in one order , it's stocked piled somewhere in warehouses.

I'd say we are slowly seeing the demise if big box stores selling ammo period , kinda it's outta sight and outta mind of the public , after all Cabela's in the U.S is under a Ammo Lawsuit right now and could be well be end of them in the ammo and firearms business and switching over to more SNOWFLAKE friendly tho sales , so the Karen's and Ken crybabies are not offended by the sight of ammo and guns on store shelves .
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#13 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:12 AM

None of those entry level guns are priced as entry level anymore !!!!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#14 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1330 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:18 AM

Stock up on what? everything is scarce, anyone been to Crappy Tire or Bass Pro/Cabelas lately? ammo shelves are bare you might be able to get some shot gun shells but everything else is gone.  Not sure how the online sources are doing, the well must be getting dry there too.  No need for the libs to ban guns when there are no bullets :)

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
was when they killed bambi's mother because I knew somwhere the hunters
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

Gotta Love The Nova Scotia Federation of Anti Hunters

#15 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 23 November 2020 - 10:56 AM

Stock up on what? everything is scarce, anyone been to Crappy Tire or Bass Pro/Cabelas lately? ammo shelves are bare you might be able to get some shot gun shells but everything else is gone.  Not sure how the online sources are doing, the well must be getting dry there too.  No need for the libs to ban guns when there are no bullets smile.png

You wanted too long. This conversation first started here in the spring when thunderstick first warned us

Now you have to buy what you see when you see it and not be fussy on price or it's make up. There will still be some honey holes in small shops but NOT big box stores and once word gets out they will dry out also. Unlike the last one this will be much longer

Cheers

#16 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1330 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 23 November 2020 - 01:51 PM

You wanted too long. This conversation first started here in the spring when thunderstick first warned us

Now you have to buy what you see when you see it and not be fussy on price or it's make up. There will still be some honey holes in small shops but NOT big box stores and once word gets out they will dry out also. Unlike the last one this will be much longer

Cheers

I didn't wait, I am stocked, just adding my shock to this thread, never seen the shelves empty like this before.

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
was when they killed bambi's mother because I knew somwhere the hunters
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

Gotta Love The Nova Scotia Federation of Anti Hunters

#17 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 23 November 2020 - 02:36 PM

I didn't wait, I am stocked, just adding my shock to this thread, never seen the shelves empty like this before.

Glad to hear you are stocked many didnot

Have no idea where you live but it seemed in central canada the panic button hit in April and just spread like crazy from there right across 

It seemed when this was issued all hell broke loose the end of March

https://www.cbc.ca/n...pread-1.5502092

It will be even more empty I would say from what suppliers are saying well into 2021

Those who got an order this year were lucky and  have had it on order before the shoe fell from what they are all saying

The remington sell off just made matters worse stopping their ammo production to a crawl for a while

Cheers

Irunguns posted this in July

Why everyone's shelves will be empty for the foreseeable future.
We want to share these statistics with you in the hopes of helping everyone understand what they can expect to see moving forward.

In the US, all FFL dealers are required to do a NICS background check on every firearm sold in the US.

A NICS background check is basically the same as a restricted firearm transfer in Canada. This is where the FBI is contacted and the customer is run through the national database to ensure they qualify for the purchase.

Now these checks are for a minimum of 1 firearm but can include multiple firearms at a time.

Year to date there are over 19 million NICS background checks that were done in 2020. 3.9 million of them were done in the month of June. That is basically 1% of the population in the US that bought a gun in the last 30 days.
Keep in mind these statistics do not include private transactions.

Recent looting, violence, and a Presidential election around the corner will further spike these numbers.

With the increased sales in guns comes increased sales in ammunition, magazines and accessories.

We have never seen stock shortages like this, there is no reserve stock anywhere and given the current issues with Covid 19 alot of the manufactures have been closed, working at a seriously reduced capacity, or like in Kel Tec's case making safety equipment.

Ammunition is virtually non existent, as are common magazines for both handguns and rifles. To further compound the issues components needs for ammo and other firearm related items are also depleted or non-existent.

If you are even remotely considering buying anything please move quickly.

The US IRUNGUNS Team

#18 labradort

labradort

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 23 November 2020 - 10:53 PM

The local CT showed more CCI Mini-Mag in stock and I thought maybe the goods are flowing in again.  A look at the shelf in the store shows it's not the case.  Shotgun shells are sparse, and most rifle calibres like 30-30, 308 are almost zero stock. 

The big box stores like this don't order frequently.  I remember asking about gloves after Christmas one year at Mark's.  They said there would be no more coming in.  I asked why, and they said the winter stock is ordered in July.  I expect CT works the same way, and this stuff is ordered by computers for the season several months ahead.

It's not like the old 22LR shortage.  If you want some calibre, there is likely one box of something left, but the selection is minimal.  My guess is it will be next spring before the shelves start to fill up again.  We know most people have stocked up - that's why the shelves are nearly bare.  Ordering online is still showing lots of variety, but you need to pay shipping and lead is heavy.

#19 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 24 November 2020 - 06:57 AM

Shipping ammo unless free shipping is offered  is nuts price wise and only a few couriers will even do it any more Canpar and maybe DHL but I think they stopped down east

Last one  I did was like 80 bucks for two boxes of 280. No more for that but I had no good brass left to reload at the time and you don't buy 280 at crappy tire

Cheers

#20 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 08:25 AM

been a few years for me (4 or 5 maybe) since I ordered in any factory ammo for anyone...it was Armor Transport who delivered it here (rurally) at the time. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users