38 replies to this topic

#21 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 24 November 2020 - 08:42 AM

I watched a program the other night on Wild TV...the host went to the Federal Ammunition plant....The building alone had to be a km long !!! Newest technology working right along side of the machines from the 30's and 40's which are still going and are an integral part of their business.

For just the shotgun manufacturing section, They have about 7 or 8 huge silos outside (that's all I saw...likely more) filled with the tiny plastic pellets....these are fed into the heating / melting unit and come out as nearly solid plastic tubes maybe 10 inches long with a 1/4 inch hole in the middle...these then go into an extruder and are heated and pulled along to thin it out to make the hulls of the shotshells.....the opposite end of this extruding line alone is almost 200 yds long !!! The starting point the plastic is barely moving as it's being stretched...on the opposite cut off end the plastic is being chopped ...several every second !!

Showed the rifle bullet making section as well as the rimfire section too...gigantic rolls of brass for case heads and 22 shells being stamped and forged out...really fascinating and interesting !! Almost as much noise and commotion there as there is in my head sometimes...lol

They're more than a billion orders behind !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...as of that taping ! 

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#22 Joyrider

Joyrider

So much anger towards everything... :-(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1472 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:16 AM

I watched a program the other night on Wild TV...the host went to the Federal Ammunition plant....The building alone had to be a km long !!! Newest technology working right along side of the machines from the 30's and 40's which are still going and are an integral part of their business.

For just the shotgun manufacturing section, They have about 7 or 8 huge silos outside (that's all I saw...likely more) filled with the tiny plastic pellets....these are fed into the heating / melting unit and come out as nearly solid plastic tubes maybe 10 inches long with a 1/4 inch hole in the middle...these then go into an extruder and are heated and pulled along to thin it out to make the hulls of the shotshells.....the opposite end of this extruding line alone is almost 200 yds long !!! The starting point the plastic is barely moving as it's being stretched...on the opposite cut off end the plastic is being chopped ...several every second !!

Showed the rifle bullet making section as well as the rimfire section too...gigantic rolls of brass for case heads and 22 shells being stamped and forged out...really fascinating and interesting !! Almost as much noise and commotion there as there is in my head sometimes...lol

Thanks for mentioning that - it got me looking!  I don't think this is exactly the show you mentioned, but it was interesting to watch!

https://www.youtube....powder

#23 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:12 AM

Seen it also a few weeks ago . It was very interesting

Back in the early 80's I had the opportunity to tour a remington plant in NY with some relatives that worked there. I will never forget it and more than likely why I grew to love my remingtons so much

Yes relatives when asked would gladly would send me boxes and boxes of 500 once fired 10ga  3 1/2 and 12ga 3" hulls left over from rounds they used in the testing program for just shipping when it was legal to do so sad.png

Still have quite a few stashed and not selling any since impossible to find today in the quality they have. Managed to get just one box of 12ga 3 1/2 which we new at the time out before the cross border laws changed. Those are nonexistent to find in canada used for reloading other than some trash ones

Cheers

#24 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 28 November 2020 - 01:06 PM

I like this one 

stop it
Every time I see one of these threads I go running out to buy more ammo and components.

#25 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts
  • LocationMiddle Stewiacke

Posted 28 November 2020 - 06:11 PM

Took advantage of a little bit of sales to do some stocking up today.

My normal powder has become unicorn dust. Gone everywhere. So I settled for something new. Ordered 6lbs from one place, two different types, and then another lb of a different powder along with some projectiles and GASP large rifle primers!! They DO exist!!!

I decided to get some 130gr Barnes TSX bullets to try out in the 308 over the winter. Want to try them on a deer next season. The concept intrigued me.

Also got some Speer 130gr HP for the 308 as plinking rounds. For 30$/100 they’re cheap for just range fun.
Time to start hunting them coyotes, I think!!!!

#26 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 06:29 AM

Hope you have better luck than I did with the TSX (and TTSX)  they garnered a new nick name from me " T-SUX "for short  wink.png wink.png

The VERY Best I could do, was, 2-3 inch groups ...3 to 4 inches in most cases..that was the norm  !!...annnnd, ..with 2 different calibers too.

My trusted Tikka in 6.5x55 {2 different weights} and my Stainless Browning A-Bolt II in 308. ...I did multiple loads and tried using 2 different powders in both cases. !!

No doubt in my mind that would do the trick on deer out to 250 yds...but it wasn't good enuff for me....so back to my trusted Noslers !

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#27 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 29 November 2020 - 06:45 AM

Hope you have better luck than I did with the TSX (and TTSX)  they garnered a new nick name from me " T-SUX "for short  wink.png wink.png

The VERY Best I could do, was, 2-3 inch groups ...3 to 4 inches in most cases..that was the norm  !!...annnnd, ..with 2 different calibers too.

My trusted Tikka in 6.5x55 {2 different weights} and my Stainless Browning A-Bolt II in 308. ...I did multiple loads and tried using 2 different powders in both cases. !!

No doubt in my mind that would do the trick on deer out to 250 yds...but it wasn't good enuff for me....so back to my trusted Noslers !

Same here but it was when they first came out I tried them and got poor results and went back to the old proven partitions

Cheers

#28 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 07:25 AM

The partitions are one of my favs Joe !! They'll always group better than the Hornady SST's which for all intents and purposes are more streamlined...but those Partitions still carry a high BC.

bbl...we have a conference call comin at 8 am to see if our seasons being pushed ahead due to the weather...AGAIN FFS  !!!  angry.png angry.png

#29 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 07:57 AM

Hey Kevin when did you try them out? Like 3Mac said it seems when they first came out people had trouble with them and then they changed them up. I’ve never used them at all so it will be a fresh start for me.

I went with the light ones to get lots of speed with them. My savage 10 shoots quite well with nosler 110 varmageddon bullets that I tried just for fun, and also 125 nosler ballistic tips. So I know it can shoot light billets. But you never know if it will like something until you try it. I tried out some hornady 155 amax bullets once, luckily I bought them cheap as an opened box at a gun show, because they’re garbage in my gun. Lol. 165 sst same thing. But then 168 hornady match will go sub moa easy.

It’s funny how fickle they can be sometimes. But that’s the whole fun of loading right? Trying new stuff and going to the range with it.

At the moment dad and I are using the Sierra game king 165 bthp as our hunting bullet. I haven’t shot one yet but he got a nice 8pt on openin day with them. Just shy of 200 yd and it dropped. Spine shot that blew right threw the other side no problem. They group really nice too!

#30 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 29 November 2020 - 08:36 AM

I heard that also at the time and I did later buy some more to try again but didnot use them and sold them to Nomad I think ??

Maybe he will chime in to see how the later ones worked for him

Cheers

#31 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 08:50 AM

I haven’t shot a lot of deer in my time, and have only had one that didn’t recover, even after 24hrs of blood tracking it, but my bullet desire has always been something that will expand AND punch clean through for an exit wound to track. And that’s what it sounds like these will do.

#32 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2333 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 29 November 2020 - 08:53 AM

My only experince with barnes ttsx is in the 6.5 55 . I had test rounds that were very accurate but lacked muzzle velocity under 2600fps for a 120gr ttsx .so after trying a few other powers I found I could get the velocity up but the accuracy was not there .compareatively I have a load with the 129 lrab nosler that leaves muzzle at plus 2750 fps and prints sub 3/4" at a 100 yds .I have since put togather some 130gr fb tsx round but have got to test them . the 130 gr in the 308 sounds very interesting so please post some of your test results .

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

​Remington 1100 std weight 20ga 

#33 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 09:05 AM

An important part about it all is to also consider your hunting distance. Every deer I have shot has been well under 50m. A lot of tipped bullets will just explode at that range and 308 velocity. Dad shot one with the SST billets that close a few years back. Sure it dropped dead, but the billet was everywhere. Lol. Those sst billets are moving fast and expand even quicker! I’m not going to start on the lead In meat debate because that has been done enough, haha.

Since I got my stocking up done I guess I am share where I shopped so the rest of you vultures can go pick it clean now. I picked up 5lb jug of OEM 4895 powder from Canada Ammo and 1lb of OEM 8208xbr?? From same place. They’re OEM powders labelled for Canada ammo. 159 for 5lb jug!!

Got some blc2, projectiles and primers from x reload. 1000 pack of LR primers for 45$!

#34 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2333 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 29 November 2020 - 01:54 PM

The SST ( super shock tip ) does exactly what its suppose to do . rapid expansion with maximum energy transfer . in my mind a quality cup and core lead round nose is a much better bullet at close range . 

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

​Remington 1100 std weight 20ga 

#35 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 02:43 PM

I think the best use of those SSTs and other such fast expanders is to make them useful at longer range once the round has slowed a lot. But up close they’re just too explosive.

I’ve always felt if I ever get the chance for a moose hunt I will gladly fork out the dollars and load up some nosler partitions or something type of bonded bullet. I just want an expanded bullet that keeps on trucking right through whatever it hits.

#36 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 04:03 PM

Then you'll want the Nosler Partitions   wink.png wink.png wink.png

#37 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 29 November 2020 - 05:40 PM

Yes because as they say  smile.png

qLALxl9.jpg

#38 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1753 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 29 November 2020 - 07:12 PM

I have been using Hornady SST 162 gr in my 7mm mag for moose since 2010 (9 hunts). My buddy uses Nosler Partitions in his 7 mm mag for moose over the same period of time. Both bullets seem to do their job very well.  I wouldn’t have an issue using either bullet based on our results.   

......... and Trudeau says "the budget will balance itself" 

#39 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 09:22 PM

Got my order from x reload today. Always pleased with their service. I tried ordering last Friday and couldn’t log in because my PAL info was expired in my account since I renewed it this year. And it couldn’t even login for me to update it. Sent an email to support and Saturday morning it was fixed by them. So made my order on Saturday and it arrived today! Can’t complain about that. And the other order is coming Tuesday, not bad coming from BC. 

now I have some extra supplies for when they lock us all down for the winter. Haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users