7 replies to this topic

#1 30-06

30-06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 09:42 PM

So I had the opportunity to get some good slough puddle duck hunting in this year. Loved it. Even found some decent spots up here in AB to set up along some of the windy rivers. With my newfound interest I took the big jump lol. I had been debating after this season if maybe I would need a new partner...she has arrived. We now have a new addition to our family, her name is Willow. She is a purebread Chesapeake Bay retriever. Her parents are devoted waterfowl and beaver retrievers. We are all super excited to see her grow and learn the trade lol. Lots of reading to do, and any input from veteran hunters who have four legged partners is welcomed:)

#2 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2575 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 10 December 2020 - 05:40 AM

congrats on the pup. find a retriever/hunt dog club near you, if you can.

#3 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13309 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 10 December 2020 - 07:49 AM

Congratulations on the new pup

Only ever had one retriever and he right or wrong did most learning on his own as long as I took him with me and got familiar with the gun and water and retrieving the dummy bird. 

He would fail every trial I am sure but would go get a goose for me which is all I wanted

My britts now that were trained to hunt were a different story and need a lot of work

As gary says I am sure there is s group up there you can join to help

All the best with the new dog

#4 30-06

30-06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 03:21 PM

Thank you, that is the plan. We work with her every day but she will be getting some serious training from specific clubs.

#5 Chesador

Chesador

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 29 December 2020 - 05:40 PM

Congratulations on your new pup. Chessies are great dogs and love to hunt. I've had a couple myself and hunted with a few more. They take a little longer to train so dont try to rush it. They usually take about 3 years to get to know their job well. Used mine on upland and waterfowl. Good luck with the training.

#6 30-06

30-06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 09:36 PM

Thanks, she is coming along well. Loves to retrieve and be outside. She is young and eager to please:)

#7 30-06

30-06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 02:40 PM

I may have to start a tread in the hunting dogs section. I cannot even believe the progress our 7 month old chessie has made! To date we have been unable to take her to any of the hunting dog trainers and I will say there are not many that will take on working with chessies. Most stick mainly with lab retrievers. Our closest club is 650 kms away. I have been following some gun dog training videos and things have been working great. So far she has her basic commands, sit, stay, go, heel and back down pat. When it comes to retrieving, she will wait at my hip for the command and holy crap talk about focus and intensity. I can throw bumpers all day and she will bring them back everytime and drop it at my feet or place it in my hand. We have had her in the water and she loves it. Same thing, brings bumper in every time. I have worked her through the 410, and have made it to the 12 gauge. Shotgun blasts don’t fizz her in the least. When she sees me opening the safe now, she knows what we are doing and the excitement is unreal.
The most amazing thing I have seen this dog do and I have no idea how she learned this is gridding when she didn’t see the dummy bird or bumper drop. She will go to where she last seen it, and if it’s not there she comes back so far then begins to go from one side to the other side until she finds it, that blew my mind.

We (I say we as my wife and I) are by no means dog trainers lol, but we have put a lot of time in with her. Our chessie walks 10 kms a day with my wife and when I get home it’s practice after we eat. I think chanelling her energy into what we want her to do has been key. I am loving the adventure and can’t wait to see what she will do in September!

#8 KEVIN

KEVIN

• Moderators
  • 9726 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 21 May 2021 - 03:50 PM

AWESOME !  It's great to hear the updates and progression with your hunting partner

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users