#1 bakerpete

bakerpete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1054 posts
  • Locationhammonds plains

Posted 21 December 2020 - 07:45 PM

Going to try  making some venison summer sausage in the next few days .Looked up some recipes online ,just wondering if anyone here has any tips or recipes of their own .

Wish i had half the skill with a rifle my dad had(rest in peace  Dad).

#2 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12662 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 21 December 2020 - 07:52 PM

For me only those Cabelas kits and they were OK in the summer one. Did three different ones so far

Tim's are real good maybe he will chime in . But I don't remember the types he makes

Cheers

https://www.cabelas....-sausage-makers

#3 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2012 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 21 December 2020 - 09:49 PM

We make italian sweet, summer sausage, and bunny sausage
I thought i posted the recipes in the recipe section.
If its not there ill post it again here.
This year weve added donair sausage and a fermented cranberry breakfast sausage. I picked up the donair spice at gateway and then just added as per directions.
We picked up a sausage stuffer at princess auto to make things go faster and its a great time saver too.
can i go hunting yet??

#4 bakerpete

bakerpete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1054 posts
  • Locationhammonds plains

Posted 22 December 2020 - 04:40 PM

Thanks guys !

Wish i had half the skill with a rifle my dad had(rest in peace  Dad).

#5 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9506 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 23 December 2020 - 06:43 AM

We did some deer sausage this year...my nieces hubby got a Cabelas brand grinder / sausage maker....MAN...that thing can sure grind the meat up ! He had a Farmers Sausage blend we added to cold water and dissolved prior to mixing it. 9 lbs of lean deer meat...3.5 lbs of ground pork...combined...first time ever for me making sausages...him too. happy.png These were fairly large sausages...the kind your BBQ.

Wasn't a very hard process...other than learning how much to put in the casings and how quick to move them along.  Bit of a learning curve for sure. We experimented with the broken ones...flattened em out like Slickie does with his rabbit patties....fried em up to try...they were awesome done like that !! 

We had taste tested 5 or 6...just to be sure...know what I mean  laugh.png laugh.png

My middle grandson was here and he liked em soooo much, that's what he chose for his supper..."only a pack of 5 grandad"..that'll do me...but he wanted me to "uncase" and flatten them for him..ahhhhh, the kiddies...Gawwd luv em !! 

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#6 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2012 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 23 December 2020 - 08:03 AM

I only flatten them when i run outta casings.
I buy the fresh salted casing from Pete's in bedford. It sure beats them plastic ones, god only knows how much plastic we eat anyway.
Besides that why ruin a good wild game sausage with a plastic casing
Im running the hounds today in cb and hope to be making bunny sausage tonight
can i go hunting yet??

#7 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts
  • LocationMiddle Stewiacke

Posted 23 December 2020 - 10:08 PM

I always find casings at my Canadian tire actually! Only place around that ever had them. I will have to go look at Pete’s! And then for summer sausage sized ones I order 1”x12” fibrous cases from amazon. LEM brand I believe they are. Makes for perfect size slices for crackers.
Time to start hunting them coyotes, I think!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users