Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

Fall 2020 Moose Hunt

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  MWO has left 
#1 ·
A short Hunting Story from this past fall...Well, another successful Moose Hunting trip to Newfoundland at Mountain Top Outfitters has come and gone. Only 357 days until the next hunt. In short, the first two days of the hunt had great weather, then the ass fell out of the weather. It was awefull to say the least. Ferry was even delayed a day, some will have to wait 5 days to be re-booked. Booking early, as we do, get priority when things go south with ferry delays. I invited a friend, Steve to join us this year. His excitement cannot be placed into words. He lucked in early, a beauty young Bull on our first night in. After that he became the jack of all trades in the camp. Do not think I ever saw the smile come off his face. Jennifer (my Daughter)and myself hunted with our guide Fred on day one, however Fred became quite ill and had to be hospitalized. After that Scott became our guide. Awesome guy as well. On Wednesday, in a storm, rain sideways, howling winds, hours from the camp in the Little Mica area, we connect. Scott called this big bull in from about mile away. Came on a string. Jennifer made a perfect lung shot on it at 75 yards. It was a walking dead Moose, however unbelievably, it charged us. Missing us by inches, we were protected by the Argo. Never saw anything like that before. An experience to remember.After field dressing and cutting the Moose in half we loaded and headed back to camp. A long cold , wet trip in the weather. Got stuck several times and had the Argo almost on its side . However we made it back. The weather was so bad our Ferry crossing was cancelled, however we are all safe at home now. The Moose was 17 points, 45 inched and I have 541 pounds of meat in the freezer. Jennifer made the perfect shot , with me following up only on the charge. Hearts we pumping that afternoon. Special thanks, to Fred Scott and Frank
. These are the guys that keep me coming back. As well thanks to Steve for joining us, i would Hunt with you any day of the week. Till next year. (I have lots of PIC but not the knowledge of posting them here..)

See less See more
#2 ·
Horrible weather makes for great memories, sounds like a great trip! Getting charged by a moose is quite a rush, happened to me once while on a snowmobile.

If you can send the pics via email I can PM you mine and would be willing to post a couple for you.

#3 ·
Horrible weather makes for great memories, sounds like a great trip! Getting charged by a moose is quite a rush, happened to me once while on a snowmobile.

If you can send the pics via email I can PM you mine and would be willing to post a couple for you.
Thank you. It was a trip to remember, many reason..Nl is an awesome place, even better with my Daughter and good friend. I PMed you my email. I much appreciate the assistance...

#7 ·
Great story MWO thanks for posting! Nothing like being with a new hunter when they connect. Plus being there when your own child connects, what an awesome experience!
Gotta ask tho - when the excitement and heart pounding stopped after the charge; were your drawers still clean and dry ? LOL

#8 ·
Wow some pile of people have experienced a charging moose.
I remember seeing a nice bull on the highland links golf course and seeing how close I could get, and I got within twenty feet.
Afterwards thinking how effing stupid I'd been !

#9 ·
A few PIcs posted in the gallery from this Hunt. Thanks DH11 for posting them..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.