Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

2019 Nl Moose Hunt

999 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  MWO has left 
#1 ·
My 2019 Newfoundland Moose hunt. Another great time. Weather was terrible first half of the week. Rain, Wind, Cold Wind, Snow that accumulated. On arrival at the Main camp in MMA 11, Fred, the Head Guide, invited myself and two folks from PEI to go back to a new Spike Camp, two more hours from the Main camp via Argo. Camp was built that summer on the back end of Dashwoods Pond. I jumped at the opportunity. On Monday I was done Hunting, ran into a Cow and Bull. The Cow got lucky, she was in my crosshairs, but then the young Bull made a wrong move. Rest is history. I packed too many Bullets, I only needed one.(took Jennifers instructions) Later that day i watched one of the gents from PEI shoot his Moose. Next day was uneventfull and we returned to the main camp. As of day on my departure, 5 out of 6 Hunters were tagged out. Saw 19 Cows on Monday/ Tuesday, 1 Calf, which is concerning and only 1 Bull who now takes up space in my freezer. Lots of Caribou, took a few PICs with my garbage cam.(wish I could post) The camp shown is the new spike camp.(not posted) Next week sees me in CB,(I was fortunate to be Picked for area 2, I donated the Hunt to Butch, whom applied for over 30 years without being picked. Of course I was there, but did not carry a rifle) Now a years wait to Moose Hunt again...should I still be walking this planet. Hats off to the Guides, Fred, Frank, Scott and George. These guys are the reason for my repeat trips to MTO.... I think I have a few more Moose stories, some from a friend that went with me...

See less See more
#2 ·
Another great post thanks MWO

So the guy you donated the CB hunt to was that that old guy ( hairy one ). Did he get a moose?
Kudus to you for giving some else that opportunity!

Oh yea is the weather always chitty in NL. It seems every time I hear about a NL hunt the weather is always poor.

#3 ·
Another great post thanks MWO

So the guy you donated the CB hunt to was that that old guy ( hairy one ). Did he get a moose?
Kudus to you for giving some else that opportunity!

Oh yea is the weather always chitty in NL. It seems every time I hear about a NL hunt the weather is always poor.
Yes that is who it was, both him as well as Shannon (who was also a member of this site at one time). Yes he did get a fine Bull on day 4 of the hunt. That was a story on its own. Excitement beyond excitement. I have been lucky in the Moose draw, been picked twice. And no I do not know anyone at DNR. So because of that I played/Paid it forward. I carried no Rifle and took no meat. (I had a young Bull from Nl the week prior) Our Hunt in CB had a ton of stories attached to it. One thing is for sure the Moose up there are in decline. We saw a total of 1 Moose all week in zone 2. What a difference from when I was there in the mid 2000's

#4 ·
Yes that is who it was, both him as well as Shannon (who was also a member of this site at one time). Yes he did get a fine Bull on day 4 of the hunt. That was a story on its own. Excitement beyond excitement. I have been lucky in the Moose draw, been picked twice. And no I do not know anyone at DNR. So because of that I played/Paid it forward. I carried no Rifle and took no meat. (I had a young Bull from Nl the week prior) Our Hunt in CB had a ton of stories attached to it. One thing is for sure the Moose up there are in decline. We saw a total of 1 Moose all week in zone 2. What a difference from when I was there in the mid 2000's
Awesome you couldn't of given to a better guy!

Saw the pics uploaded by dh11 just wondering who the "old" guy is in all the pics!

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Awesome you couldn't of given to a better guy!

Saw the pics uploaded by dh11 just wondering who the "old" guy is in all the pics!
That old Guy, me, will be 62 tomorrow. That jacket (you mentioned in another post) goes with me everywhere, whether Fishing or Hunting.. It is a "My" generation Hunting Jacket.LOL It is well equipped, Pockets have Compass, Backtracker and a Magnesium fire starter in them..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.