#1 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 23 December 2020 - 06:38 AM

Just wondering if anyone out there would have any advice for me before I take it to a gunsmith. I bought an older cooey single shot 410 (worked when I bought it). I had the barrel and receiver re-blued. When I got it back and put it together ... the hammer won’t lock in the “cocked” position. If I take the barrel off, I can pull the hammer back, and it locks in place like it should. I am stumped ... because these are very simple guns. Any help would be appreciated. 

#2 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9618 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 23 December 2020 - 06:58 AM

no left over parts ?? any particular thing give you a hard time when you put it back together ?? annnd, the biggest queshun... were you holding your tongue just right when you put it back together ??  wink.png wink.png 

If it FAS (functions as should) with no barrel, then doesn't with the barrel, then ..possibly seems like the issue is with your barrel lock up in the bottom of the receiver ??

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#3 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9618 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 23 December 2020 - 06:59 AM

give ol joe a chance to google up a fix..he'll chime in biggrin.png biggrin.png biggrin.png

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#4 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 23 December 2020 - 07:06 AM

I never actually took the receiver apart. By putting back together ... I meant attaching the barrel to the receiver and then attaching the fore stock. I tried googling it. It appears it has something to do with the lock up mechanism at the bottom of the receiver. Joe has a few of those old cooey’s. He might know the answer. 

#5 Caper391

Caper391

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationGlace Bay

Posted 23 December 2020 - 10:58 AM

Mine sometimes does this as well. I find that if I close the gun with a bit of authority, it always works.

#6 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2370 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 23 December 2020 - 11:32 AM

I would look at the relationship of the locking block and barrel lug notch and what allows the hammer to come to cocked lock position .

#7 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13045 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 23 December 2020 - 01:25 PM

I never actually took the receiver apart. By putting back together ... I meant attaching the barrel to the receiver and then attaching the fore stock. I tried googling it. It appears it has something to do with the lock up mechanism at the bottom of the receiver. Joe has a few of those old cooey’s. He might know the answer. 

I have seven. A set of six 84's from 410 to 12 ga 36" barrel and one 840 in 28ga

LOL I collect shotguns in sets or did years ago tongue.png

Honestly they are pretty much bullet proof and I would say a smith would be shaking his head quite a while to fix it assuming not dirty , sticking or something broke he could see

Make sure all springs etc are clean etc and everything moves as it should with the barrel off. You never soaked it did you in anything when preparing for bluing

https://www.gunparts...uns-win/37a-win

That being said I have seen it but twice in clean guns with no broken parts and both times was when different barrels had to be fitted to a receiver never on a gun with a matching factory barrel 

You said the receiver has never been apart so I assume it got a cold bluing and not a factory type and total disassembly

If so you would have removed the old finish and added new blue which may have been enough of a change between the two pieces involved to cause this since we are talking thousands here to make it do it.

My guess if nothing sticking or broken is the face on the v on the barrel lug has to be filed but not a lot

Not my words but this guy explains it pretty good., But I would not file the locking thing at this stage

If you're fitting a new barrel to a gun that already has one and you plan to switch them now and then, you need to file off just the slightest part of the face of the lower side of that V on the barrel. Just two or three filings and a test fit. Do NOT file a lot!!! Two or three filings and then test fit. When you get it to the point that it closes clean, try cocking it. The same V is blocking the locking block and preventing it from closing or cocking. If you plan to mount a new barrel and never switch it, then file on the face of the locking thingymabob instead of the barrel. That locking thing and the matching face of the barrel lug are what's blocking you. So again, if you plan to mount a new barrel and switch it out regularly, work on the barrel. Fit the barrel to the gun. If it's a one time and leave it switch, then work on the locking thingy. Fit it to the barrel. Two or three filings then test fit.

#8 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2557 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 23 December 2020 - 07:01 PM

you say - the hammer wont lock in cocked position - is the hammer coming back all the way? Meaning, does it come back as far as when it does cock with barrel off?

#9 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13045 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 23 December 2020 - 07:13 PM

Some excellent pics here of all the moving parts in the receiver which may help

https://www.shotgunw...p?f=12&t=439116

#10 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 24 December 2020 - 06:25 AM

Gary ... the problem arises when I attach the barrel to the receiver. When the barrel is attached to the receiver ... the hammer doesn’t appear to go back far enough to lock in the cocked position. Take the barrel off ... and it works perfectly. It obviously has something to do with the barrel locking mechanism. 

#11 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13045 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 24 December 2020 - 07:03 AM

Gary ... the problem arises when I attach the barrel to the receiver. When the barrel is attached to the receiver ... the hammer doesn’t appear to go back far enough to lock in the cocked position. Take the barrel off ... and it works perfectly. It obviously has something to do with the barrel locking mechanism. 

If nothing is broken or sticking it is the tolerance on the v groove barrel lug that has to be refitted

Cooey factory receivers were not blued and it doesn't take more than a few thousands to cause what you have going on now. Yes a factory bluing would be nothing not even one thousand as far as tolerance increase goes but not a back yard job ( anything not factory )

Just my opinion from not seeing the gun or any pics of the receiver and barrel lug

Also just noticed you didnot do the bluing. Are you 100% sure it wasn't apart

Cheers

DEAMss5.jpg

#12 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2557 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 24 December 2020 - 09:54 AM

if the hammer does not go back far enough, it sounds like the lower mechanism is sticking when you attach the barrel. 

try - take forestock & barrel off. push down mechanism (where barrel locks in). It's the piece that moves when you activate the lever. If this mechanism does not spring back all the way it will not allow the hammer to cock.  

It may just need some working back/forth, up/down (turn off that dirty mind, Kevin, if youre reading this) to get it working. 

If that doesnt work you likely have to open up the receiver to lubricate the springs and things.

Good luck.

#13 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Nova Scotia

Posted 24 December 2020 - 01:08 PM

Just wondering if anyone out there would have any advice for me before I take it to a gunsmith. I bought an older cooey single shot 410 (worked when I bought it). I had the barrel and receiver re-blued. When I got it back and put it together ... the hammer won’t lock in the “cocked” position. If I take the barrel off, I can pull the hammer back, and it locks in place like it should. I am stumped ... because these are very simple guns. Any help would be appreciated.

Take it back to the person who did the bluing job and have him repair it or at least find out if he had it apart. Sounds like a thorough cleaning of the mechanism may be necessary.

#14 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13045 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 24 December 2020 - 05:34 PM

Wish I lived closer

For giggles close the gun and see if you can open it again by pushing down with out touching  the opening lever. May have to try over a wooden chair back or something like that

https://www.gunowner...won-t-lock-back

#15 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 25 December 2020 - 07:27 AM

A little update ... I sprayed a little solvent in around the mechanism and oiled it. It appears that it’s not locking up tight. When I shut it with a little force... the hammer works like it should. All parts seem to be functioning properly except the locking lug or whatever its called. Seems a little sticky. I will have to totally dismantle it and give it a thorough cleaning ... or just leave it as is. Like I said ... if I “snap” it shut .... it works. I have 4 other Cooey’s that require very little effort to close ... and they have all been reblued. Never had an issue with either one. 

#16 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13045 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 25 December 2020 - 08:32 AM

A little update ... I sprayed a little solvent in around the mechanism and oiled it. It appears that it’s not locking up tight. When I shut it with a little force... the hammer works like it should. All parts seem to be functioning properly except the locking lug or whatever its called. Seems a little sticky. I will have to totally dismantle it and give it a thorough cleaning ... or just leave it as is. Like I said ... if I “snap” it shut .... it works. I have 4 other Cooey’s that require very little effort to close ... and they have all been reblued. Never had an issue with either one. 

Every one has a different fit and were hand fitted factory . This one clearly was tighter than the rest and the bluing effected it or one cannot see how dirty it is

I would have assumed the guy that blued it , blued a clean receiver and took it apart however. I guess not

Any how you are happy so all is good. If it is still hard to close and cock after a good cleaning I would be taking a bit off the v but hey that is me and it doesn't sound you are comfortable with that which is fine since you are using the gun and know to watch for it locking

Happy Holidays

#17 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2370 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 25 December 2020 - 05:58 PM

I would just use it a bit be for doing anything to it . it may just be that new blueing has tightened tolrances .

#18 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13045 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 25 December 2020 - 06:16 PM

Like my old man would say nothing 5000 rounds won't fix :)

#19 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 06:19 PM

Would bluing be that thick to cause issues?

#20 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13045 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 25 December 2020 - 06:26 PM

Would bluing be that thick to cause issues?

No factory bluing might be one thousand .But we have no idea what preparation or type of coating he used

IMHO his preparation could have done it taking tolerance off an area getting ready for bluing that put more stress on another area which seemed to tighten the locking relationship tolerances

Grinding or sanding out imperfections, nicks etc or dunked the entire receiver with out taking it apart ( if that happened ) could have gunked it up

Also remember the original receiver and catch and barrel lug V were bare from the factory so could have added a few thousands total one thousand on each piece with bluing and on these fits it doesn't take much

Just guessing since to make sure one would have to see the gun

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users