#1 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2514 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 03 January 2021 - 03:03 PM

Always hear about the crap that goes on in the woods during hunting season - not so much about the positive things.....

I always put a cpl tcams in areas Im not hunting. In this particular area, I put up a cam in a place I used to hunt many moons ago. I wasnt aware a stand had been put up in the area. When I retrieved the cam, the other day, there was a ziplock attached to the strap, with a note inside - see below.

I called the guy and we had a very good, positive conversation plus traded some info via text on the area, where we hunt, where we intend to hunt, wished each other the best, shared some tcam pics, etc, etc. Made my day to meet (at least by electronic device) a very respectable hunter.

kOvpj6E.jpg

#2 adam_h

adam_h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 03 January 2021 - 03:05 PM

I wish more of this happened.  I left a note on a car earlier this year with similar results.  It's not hard to share the woods if we talk to each other.

#3 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2864 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 03:52 PM

Now this is the right way to go about things , this guy is real sportsman and hunter. At least he took time to not mess around with your gear and was willing to discuss his and your intentions .

So many out there need to see this is how things should be carried out
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#4 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1938 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 03 January 2021 - 04:30 PM

This is how it should go. Last year end of season my friend and i went in to get the last of the gear only to find a note. Nothing else. No popup, no chairs, not a thing.
The note was hand written on a piece of loose leaf almost illegible. Basically telling us to move along we were not welcome. It was private land i thought i had permission to hunt. No the note was not written by the owners,
can i go hunting yet??

#5 Caper391

Caper391

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationGlace Bay

Posted 03 January 2021 - 05:37 PM

If only every situation played out like that one...glad you had a positive experience and possibly made a new friend.

#6 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5876 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 03 January 2021 - 06:49 PM

Good to hear and the positive way to do things. I had a similar experience five or six yrs ago.
Had a couple stands set up well off the beaten trail but one day after a snowfall a guy followed a set of deer tracks which lead right in front of a pop up I had there.Nothing was bothered. Like the guy you met I put a note in a sandwich bag and left it where it would be seen thanking the other person for being respectful of my set up etc. A few days later the baggie was still there but had a different note in it! The other guy explained how he happened upon my set up and actually apologized for disturbing the area and said he would stay out of there in the future. Unfortunately he left no way to contact him. Always hoped I’d bump into him as I’d really like to shake his hand ! For another respectable hunter such as him/ her I would probably relocate.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#7 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9280 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 03 January 2021 - 09:27 PM

sooooo, there ARE a few old school hunters left....great stuff Gary !! 

my son went thru the same thing a few years back. A guy set up a stand on the back side of an island of trees my sons stand was on (4 yrs )...notes and numbers were exchanged...both guys chatted and worked it out so that both hunted there that season...the new comer thanked him and moved on the next year !!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#8 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2743 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 04 January 2021 - 08:07 AM

Good to hear of a positive interaction with another hunter.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#9 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11749 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 04 January 2021 - 08:13 AM

Only ever experienced this once and it was like 30 years ago on our land nailed to a tree by the stand no cams then 

In the end he hunted with us or on the property for many years and we are still friends to this day

Real nice to see especially today

Cheers

#10 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts
  • LocationMiddle Stewiacke

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:06 AM

Good to hear.

I’ve been lucky so far, knock on wood, to never have any troubles. I’ve had plenty of trail cam photos of hunters walking past my sight. And I’ve come across plenty of apple piles and cameras and always just take a little peek around their setup, see how they do things and where they come in from and then go on my way.

Always boggles my mind how anyone can just come across stands and cams and just take it and walk away. Glad there are honest hunters around.
Time to start hunting them coyotes, I think!!!!

#11 Joyrider

Joyrider

So much anger towards everything... :-(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 04 January 2021 - 03:13 PM

Good to hear.

I’ve been lucky so far, knock on wood, to never have any troubles. I’ve had plenty of trail cam photos of hunters walking past my sight. And I’ve come across plenty of apple piles and cameras and always just take a little peek around their setup, see how they do things and where they come in from and then go on my way.

Always boggles my mind how anyone can just come across stands and cams and just take it and walk away. Glad there are honest hunters around.

i used to run into cameras when i hunted in the Bridgewater area, not so much anymore.  I always tried to leave a funny picture when I did, I hoped someone would post one on here some days asking "Who is this idiot?"  No luck!  biggrin.png biggrin.png 

#12 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5876 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 04 January 2021 - 09:40 PM

i used to run into cameras when i hunted in the Bridgewater area, not so much anymore.  I always tried to leave a funny picture when I did, I hoped someone would post one on here some days asking "Who is this idiot?"  No luck!  :D :D

Unfortunately I can’t post pics
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#13 Joyrider

Joyrider

So much anger towards everything... :-(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 05 January 2021 - 10:14 AM

Unfortunately I can’t post pics

Well if you were around the Italy Cross area - I may have been the idiot on your camera.  biggrin.png biggrin.png

#14 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationWittenburg

Posted 09 January 2021 - 03:14 PM

Gary I'm curious about your area(county). I had a similar note on my cam. The guy that did it is known for moving in on established hunters. I put my old cam in an obvious spot to get a response, and it worked. He apologized but just moved in on another. Even this year he ruined hunting for another guy that had been there a long time. With the decrease of hunters why the crowding, other than to let someone else lug apples for his deer. I don't own the deer but there's lots of ground out there.
The knowledge of non-knowledge is power

#15 linnie

linnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3847 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 09 January 2021 - 11:10 PM

i used to run into cameras when i hunted in the Bridgewater area, not so much anymore.  I always tried to leave a funny picture when I did, I hoped someone would post one on here some days asking "Who is this idiot?"  No luck!  biggrin.png biggrin.png 

https://mymodernmet....ra-trail-photo/

Don't bite the hand that feeds you

#16 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2514 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 10 January 2021 - 07:28 AM

Gary I'm curious about your area(county). I had a similar note on my cam. The guy that did it is known for moving in on established hunters. I put my old cam in an obvious spot to get a response, and it worked. He apologized but just moved in on another. Even this year he ruined hunting for another guy that had been there a long time. With the decrease of hunters why the crowding, other than to let someone else lug apples for his deer. I don't own the deer but there's lots of ground out there.

lots of people out there looking for a spot - me included. I just dont have one "spot". I have 8  stands/blinds throughout zone 107 and plan on adding to that number this year. I also do a fair amount of stillhunting.

Ive had many experiences over the years with other hunters - some positive, some negative. Some seem to have little idea on what to look for re deer sign, some are afraid of getting lost, some are just plain lazy, some think they own the area when in fact they do not, some are very respectful, etc.

I'm real glad the start to the new year, for me, was real positive.

#17 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5876 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 10 January 2021 - 11:02 AM

Well if you were around the Italy Cross area - I may have been the idiot on your camera.  :D :D

I’ve never been cross the Atlantic let alone a cross Italy
What’s the hunting like over there

#18 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5876 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 10 January 2021 - 11:07 AM

Actually hunted down that way a few years back. I have a few friends in that area. I’ve hunted around Italy Cross as well as Hebbville area and down around Petite Riveire and Pleasanville and a few other areas lol. Fished the area as well. Lots and lots of woods down that way.

#19 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5876 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 10 January 2021 - 11:21 AM

lots of people out there looking for a spot - me included. I just dont have one "spot". I have 8  stands/blinds throughout zone 107 and plan on adding to that number this year. I also do a fair amount of stillhunting.

Ive had many experiences over the years with other hunters - some positive, some negative. Some seem to have little idea on what to look for re deer sign, some are afraid of getting lost, some are just plain lazy, some think they own the area when in fact they do not, some are very respectful, etc.

107 now there’s a zone and a half Seems to be lots from this site hunting that zone.
I have too many stands/ blinds to count in 107 but usually wind up still hunting anyway. Mostly hunt let’s say Elmsdale to Shubie through to say Burlington and areas in between . That should narrow it down a wee bit. I have hunted the other parts of Hants in the past but one has to settle down sooner or later!
But yes wherever you go you will find a wide assortment of hunters and I like to think most of them are the respectable type. There will always be a few bad apple where ever you go.

#20 682bubba

682bubba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCape Breton Island NS Canada

Posted 10 January 2021 - 11:27 AM

To me alot of guys are looking for spots but don't want to search for there own it seems theres always a few who would rather hunt the blinds that somebody else built it seems in some places.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users