#1 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1356 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 05 January 2021 - 11:45 AM

How many are using ear pro while hunting?  Specifically upland and deer.  Waterfowl is usually a given.

I have been doing it now for a few seasons and no negative impact in fact it's all been positive.  I have gone through a few pairs of electronic muffs settling on a pair I like.  

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
was when they killed bambi's mother because I knew somwhere the hunters
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

Gotta Love The Nova Scotia Federation of Anti Hunters

#2 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2863 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 12:26 PM

I've never used or tried any ear protection hunting , at the range for sighting in I always do , as it's pretty close quarters at times and kinda closed in to the next shooter .

Don't really plan on using in the future either .
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#3 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11748 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 05 January 2021 - 01:36 PM

Might be a given today . I have no idea but it sure wasn't when I spent my many falls in goose blinds with friends or clients

Not saying that was wise or smart but like Tyson 10ga only wore them shooting targets and at a range 100% over the years never hunting 

The guys that did I hunted with in blinds wore products made by Walkers or Honeywell Howards and still do to this day and forced me to take that dam 10ga to the end of the blind sad.png Never had anyone wear them upland or deer hunting

I might have been lucky god knows but hearing loss is not something that has hit me at all even with a career in heavy industry and a high use of power tools and I get tested fairly regular since lots of hearing aids in my family and my poor mrs wears two and makes me get tested all the time

As good as I was at 19 they say. Glad something is not falling apart wacko.png

Even a good goose call is over 85 

What models are you using now just the ear pro ??  or pro ears??

Cheers

#4 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1356 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 06 January 2021 - 12:17 PM

Might be a given today . I have no idea but it sure wasn't when I spent my many falls in goose blinds with friends or clients

Not saying that was wise or smart but like Tyson 10ga only wore them shooting targets and at a range 100% over the years never hunting 

The guys that did I hunted with in blinds wore products made by Walkers or Honeywell Howards and still do to this day and forced me to take that dam 10ga to the end of the blind sad.png Never had anyone wear them upland or deer hunting

I might have been lucky god knows but hearing loss is not something that has hit me at all even with a career in heavy industry and a high use of power tools and I get tested fairly regular since lots of hearing aids in my family and my poor mrs wears two and makes me get tested all the time

As good as I was at 19 they say. Glad something is not falling apart wacko.png

Even a good goose call is over 85 

What models are you using now just the ear pro ??  or pro ears??

Cheers

Well aren't you lucky. I just had the ears ringing after a shot or two a couple years in a row and I had enough.  Don't even notice wearing the ears now.  I find them an essential piece of gear that is in my pack now.  Only option since suppressors are banned. 

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

#5 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3347 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 12:43 PM

Early 80's went hunting with a fellow, he was late showing up. Finally arrived and of we went. Hunted to almost dark and the proceeded out. He was carrying a 7mm mag. As we top a hill there was a porcupine. I was slightly in front and little did I know that he would discharge his rifle inches from my right ear. I fell actually to the ground. My left ear got blown, could hear nothing but ringing. Went to medical folks right away but little could be done. When someone discharges a weapon near you ear its the opposite ear that takes the worse injury, in this case my left. Never hunted again with him, I believed he had taken a few beer or something before leaving. I spent years not knowing where sounds came from. My ears have rung constantly since that time. At one point I thought it would drive me crazy, but I had to adapt. Had to give up walking, hunting rabbits, birds etc and just stay with sitting for deer, wearing hearing protection. During the past thirty years I have gone through many hearing devices. I first purchased walker game ears, one for each ear, they were expensive but lasted for years. I never have gone hunting since then without a full headset on. By the end of hunting season I have a huge headache as my head feels like it has been in a vice. If I did not wear them I would not hear a thing, plus I have very little left to loose. Wish I had worn hearing aides more during the hunting years. Would of saved a little more hearing. Ears still ring like hell none stop. Hunting sucksbiggrin.png

#6 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11748 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 06 January 2021 - 01:01 PM

Well aren't you lucky. I just had the ears ringing after a shot or two a couple years in a row and I had enough.  Don't even notice wearing the ears now.  I find them an essential piece of gear that is in my pack now.  Only option since suppressors are banned. 

Lucky or we are all made differently how certain parts we have tolerate things according to the doc and genetics plays a big role . Only time I ever remember my ears ringing that bothered me from noise was after a ac/dc concert

Not saying they won't make a difference and to each their own on wearing them. Wonder how many used /shot  500 plus rounds of 10ga a year in blind for 20 years ( 84-2004) and ended up with no damage. Often wondered if using right hand guns on the left side may have something to do with how the noise travelled

More than likely not too many but it is what is it for me and like I said not wise or smart by what they say today it was never a consideration years ago

One thing I do remember is I could not use ported chokes in the 10ga or no one would hunt in the blind with me with the noise they gave off

Here is another one that has been proven and I have never smoked in my  life

Compared to nonsmokers, smokers have a 70% greater chance of developing hearing loss

Cheers

#7 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5876 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 06 January 2021 - 07:58 PM

Wouldn’t it be difficult to hear critters moving with ear protection. I carry ear plugs for when I’m in a blind or stand but forget about them when the deer show up!

I have 70% hearing loss in one ear. Now you would think it would be due to shooting sports or the noise from working on and running in Diesel engines for 39 yrs but no the decisive blow was actually disconnecting an air hose from the compressor line at work. Had the ringing for yrs but very seldom now. But it’s a good excuse to ignore people you don’t want to listen too!
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#8 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3347 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 11:22 PM

Wouldn’t it be difficult to hear critters moving with ear protection. I carry ear plugs for when I’m in a blind or stand but forget about them when the deer show up!

I have 70% hearing loss in one ear. Now you would think it would be due to shooting sports or the noise from working on and running in Diesel engines for 39 yrs but no the decisive blow was actually disconnecting an air hose from the compressor line at work. Had the ringing for yrs but very seldom now. But it’s a good excuse to ignore people you don’t want to listen too!

I was referring to the hearing devices that not only allow one to hear, but allow one to hear 10x normal hearing if desired and also provided protection for noises over 23 decibels I believe, like a rifle or shotgun discharge. The only thing I find as a con with them is they do not allow one to pin point where the noise exactly came from like normal hearing. The better ones also offer no wind noise and have a volume selection for each ear, while the cheaper ones have wind noise and just one volume control. Those I don't recommend. 

#9 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1356 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 07 January 2021 - 06:30 AM

I was referring to the hearing devices that not only allow one to hear, but allow one to hear 10x normal hearing if desired and also provided protection for noises over 23 decibels I believe, like a rifle or shotgun discharge. The only thing I find as a con with them is they do not allow one to pin point where the noise exactly came from like normal hearing. The better ones also offer no wind noise and have a volume selection for each ear, while the cheaper ones have wind noise and just one volume control. Those I don't recommend. 

The better ones allow you to pinpoint noises as well.

bad guy.

#10 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1316 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 07 January 2021 - 06:35 AM

I have used what is called “Shooter Ears” for quite some time now. They are custom moulded to fit my ears. They are like hearing aids, as I can turn them up to hear a mouse fart if I want to, but at the sound of a muzzle blast ... they shut off and act as hearing protection. I love them at the range, but not so much for hunting. The sounds of you walking alone is enough to make you want to turn them off. When I am in the stand, I find that I can’t distinguish what direction the sounds are coming from. At the range ... they are great, but for hunting ... not so great. These are old technology now, and likely can’t be purchased any longer. I got another set for Christmas a few weeks ago. They are called “Sound Gear”.... manufactured by Starkey Hearing Aids. I have yet to try them ... but they work on the same principle as my other ones ... except they are not custom fitted. They are more like a rubber type ear plug. We all should have been protecting our hearing better when we were younger. For some of us ... it’s too late. For those young people ... never take your hearing for granted. Hearing loss can be a cause of Dementia. Nothing to screw around with. 

#11 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1356 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 07 January 2021 - 08:16 AM

I have used what is called “Shooter Ears” for quite some time now. They are custom moulded to fit my ears. They are like hearing aids, as I can turn them up to hear a mouse fart if I want to, but at the sound of a muzzle blast ... they shut off and act as hearing protection. I love them at the range, but not so much for hunting. The sounds of you walking alone is enough to make you want to turn them off. When I am in the stand, I find that I can’t distinguish what direction the sounds are coming from. At the range ... they are great, but for hunting ... not so great. These are old technology now, and likely can’t be purchased any longer. I got another set for Christmas a few weeks ago. They are called “Sound Gear”.... manufactured by Starkey Hearing Aids. I have yet to try them ... but they work on the same principle as my other ones ... except they are not custom fitted. They are more like a rubber type ear plug. We all should have been protecting our hearing better when we were younger. For some of us ... it’s too late. For those young people ... never take your hearing for granted. Hearing loss can be a cause of Dementia. Nothing to screw around with. 

Good to hear, I looked into a pair that were small like ear buds charged through USB but only had a 6-8 hr runtime.  I figured they might give out on me at the end of the day so I opted to stay with muffs you can easily pop a battery in and out.  Like I said I am 3 seasons into to using electronic muffs, I am used to them now and count them as an essential part of my hunting gear and won't be giving up on them anytime soon.

bad guy.

#12 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3347 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:00 AM

Gee we are a good bunch, no ears, eyes, knees, backs, hands and hips. Did I miss anything?

#13 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11748 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 07 January 2021 - 12:30 PM

Gee we are a good bunch, no ears, eyes, knees, backs, hands and hips. Did I miss anything?

Yep the big one little mind left at least for metongue.png

#14 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1356 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 07 January 2021 - 12:50 PM

I am younger than most of you old farts on here, I just want to keep my hearing for as long as I can, I am sure I damaged it earlier in life with concerts etc. very careful with them now, lawnmower and snowblower all get the ear pro treatment.

bad guy.

#15 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11748 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 07 January 2021 - 01:16 PM

I am younger than most of you old farts on here, I just want to keep my hearing for as long as I can, I am sure I damaged it earlier in life with concerts etc. very careful with them now, lawnmower and snowblower all get the ear pro treatment.

Are you talking the ones made by surefire???

https://www.surefire...egories/earpro/

#16 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1356 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 07 January 2021 - 01:26 PM

Are you talking the ones made by surefire???

https://www.surefire...egories/earpro/

I was looking at these:

https://www.3m.com/3...=8720539&rt=rud

But like I said I chose to go with electronic muffs instead. 

bad guy.

#17 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2514 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 07 January 2021 - 01:39 PM

Dont use any protection while hunting - in the ear aids are on my list for this year. Hopefully, they work out for hunting as I agree a fella should have something.

Will not be muffs for me, though - wearing them (muffs) for chainsaw, lawnmower, whippersnipper, chop saw, at work, at range, etc is enough to know muffs wont work for me hunting.

#18 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11748 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 07 January 2021 - 01:42 PM

I was looking at these:

https://www.3m.com/3...=8720539&rt=rud

But like I said I chose to go with electronic muffs instead. 

I have used Peltors for years in target shooting but over ear design , inner don't work as well they say unless fitted but I don't know if that is still true

https://multimedia.3...alogue-2018.pdf

For range and target shooting hard to beat the old yellow ones with a 33 NRR

https://www.3mcanada...select=5929492

#19 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5876 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 07 January 2021 - 06:51 PM

Very wise good on you, an ounce of prevention is better then.......aahhhh you know the rest
What make model etc and where do I buy them?
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#20 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5876 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 07 January 2021 - 06:53 PM

I forgot - stop bragging about your age!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users