• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Joyrider

Joyrider

So much anger towards everything... :-(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 06 January 2021 - 02:06 PM

I have never felt less sorry for someone whining in the news....

For years truro has fought hunters every step of the way and now that (surprise!) the situation has become unlivable they want a fast solution for the very people they have been fighting for years.

*I am snarky because they put in a firearms ban years ago in the whole town limits - no matter if you are legal distances or not.  Screw them.  ;-)

https://www.thechron...o-mayor-537588/

Delay in cull of town deer population frustrates Truro mayor

The longtime mayor of Truro thought a municipal election day plebiscite had paved the way for a deer cull in town but he’s disappointed with how slowly things are moving.

“We had a meeting with Lands and Forestry two or three weeks ago and I’m very frustrated,” Bill Mills said last week.

“We have followed everything that they told us to do with regard to pellet counts and our pellet count is up around 75 per cent over last year. We know there is a huge number of deer and we just seem to get more and more excuses.”

Mills said he was very annoyed leaving the meeting with representatives of the provincial department that has jurisdiction over wildlife-related issues.

“My question was going to be are you guys really interested in helping us with this problem or not,” Mills said. “Every time you say something, they have these hundred different opinions as to why you can’t do this, you can’t do that. In my view, that’s what their job is.”

The town’s website says Truro has received a growing number of complaints regarding nuisance deer in urban areas since 2016.

The town held a well-attended public information session in 2017 to provide residents with information on deer management. A survey conducted in conjunction with the public information session indicated that half of the respondents felt the growing population of deer was a problem but only half of those respondents, or 25 per cent overall, felt that lethal means should be used to reduce the number of deer. 

The town has since worked with Lands and Forestry to determine the size of the deer population and how it compares with other areas of the province. 

Data collected from 2018 to 2020, through deer pellet counts and roadside surveys, showed that the urban deer population had risen by approximately 70 per cent over that three-year period. 

Based on the data, deer numbers are 2.5 times higher than populations in the local surrounding area. 

“We’ve talked about trapping the deer with nets and everything, giving them tranquilizers and moving them somewhere else. I don’t think Bible Hill wants any, I don’t think a lot of people want any."

Bill Mills, Truro mayor

Several options were considered to cull the deer population, including relocation of deer to rural areas, contraception to reduce births, conducting a managed hunt to reduce numbers and maintain them at an acceptable level or to maintain the status quo.

Lands and Forestry concluded that a managed crossbow hunt was the only approach that had consistent proven results.

“Relocation and contraception were determined to be impractical by Lands and Forestry biologists,” a department spokesman said Tuesday in an emailed response.

“Managed hunting with existing methods is an option that is already available, however the challenge is to be able to safely focus that hunting effort in areas that will help the most in resolving the issues experienced by the town.”

The plebiscite conducted as part of the Oct. 17, 2020, municipal election asked voters if they supported a managed urban deer bow/crossbow hunt in the town to reduce the population.

The result was 2,311 in favour and 1,728 opposed.

The election also resulted in four new members of council and Mills said a committee is now being set up with the new council to go over all the data and what the next steps are.

“We’ve talked about trapping the deer with nets and everything, giving them tranquilizers and moving them somewhere else,” Mills said. “I don’t think Bible Hill wants any, I don’t think a lot of people want any.

“The problem comes down to this, if people would stop feeding the deer, that would solve a lot of our problem. Now, when they have their fawns in our backyards, guess what, our backyards are now their habitat. They are never going to leave.”

Mills said he hopes to have a safe bow hunt set up in a secure area during the months of March, April and May.

“People say what’s your hurry. What’s our hurry, we’ve only been studying it for seven years. … And people say you won’t win this battle. I’m not interested in winning, I’m interested in managing the situation.” 

#2 Caper391

Caper391

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationGlace Bay

Posted 06 January 2021 - 03:34 PM

Tranquilize those bad boys and send them to Cape Breton...biggrin.png

#3 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2863 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 03:56 PM

Tranquilize those bad boys and send them to Cape Breton...:D

Our own urban deer issue is starting here too , just not as bad get , Coxetheath , Westmount , Edwardsville , Deer constant in back yards , most don't walk away tho lol , locals have been looking after the issue .

There pockets all around the CBRM where people can't go t due to distances. Plus like in the O.P post people gotta stop feeding or providing feed for them.

Go to United Farmers Co-Op and ask the simple question how many people come in for deer feed that are local residents , the # will really give many a wake up . Guys out back tell me that they go thru couple hundred pallets thru the winter and it's same people week after week buying it , you can tell they are not hunters , but when the issue becomes a headache then they want something done cause they created the problem.

Can't have it both ways .
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#4 Caper391

Caper391

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationGlace Bay

Posted 06 January 2021 - 05:01 PM

Our own urban deer issue is starting here too , just not as bad get , Coxetheath , Westmount , Edwardsville , Deer constant in back yards , most don't walk away tho lol , locals have been looking after the issue .

There pockets all around the CBRM where people can't go t due to distances. Plus like in the O.P post people gotta stop feeding or providing feed for them.

Go to United Farmers Co-Op and ask the simple question how many people come in for deer feed that are local residents , the # will really give many a wake up . Guys out back tell me that they go thru couple hundred pallets thru the winter and it's same people week after week buying it , you can tell they are not hunters , but when the issue becomes a headache then they want something done cause they created the problem.

Can't have it both ways .

Roger that...I have deer in my yard as well here in the Bay (seems to be more in the spring) and I joke with my wife that she need to stop feeding them tulips so they will go back to Framboise where I can get them in the fall.

#5 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5876 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 06 January 2021 - 08:17 PM

Becoming problematic everywhere. The deer are running out of natural habitat as we continue to destroy it. Plus lots of great salad bars for them in cities and towns and no hunters.
There should be culls tho lots of places around Truro and bible hill to safely use a bow. Same as HRM, came home from Dartmouth around 9pm t’other night, counted 18 between Shannon park and bridge approach. There are places there where a bow could be safely used. Close Point Pleasant Park for the month of Oct. and allow a couple hunters in there. Lots of places for bow to be legal ( by set backs from regs.)
The area known as hemlock ravine is full of deer and could be safely hunted by bow but they would have to “relax” discharging a weapon with 804m of a school or shut the school down for a month!

It can be a bit disheartening to hunt all day and come home to half a dozen deer in your backyard!
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#6 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1316 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 07 January 2021 - 07:47 AM

When a tract of woodland has been clearcutted ... in two years, the re-growth is a deer’s paradise. My take on it ...has nothing to do with clear cutting and loss of habitat ... it is the fact that a couple of urban deer started multiplying and so on and so on. My guess ... 99% of these town deer don’t know any difference. They thrive in towns. No enemies and lots of flowers and shrubs to eat. Unfortunately ... most of these urbanites are very inbred. Unless DNR gets these “colonies” under control .... things are only gonna get worse. 

#7 Joyrider

Joyrider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:24 AM

Really?  That's good to hear!  Not the "in town" part, just that there are clumps of deer in CB again.   There used to be great hunting on the Island, hopefully things come back!

#8 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2863 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 10:20 AM

Really?  That's good to hear!  Not the "in town" part, just that there are clumps of deer in CB again.   There used to be great hunting on the Island, hopefully things come back!

Things have come back last 5-10 yrs , depends on what part of the island , Hunters Mountain was paradise 30 yrs ago is now barren of deer , River Denys , Washabuck, Orangdale , have pockets , Framboise / Forchu have very good population compared to 20-30 yrs ago , I'm finding tho you must go off beaten path to find them . Even tho off beaten paths are getting more scarce due to more and more logging roads going in .

Last fall I counted at least 20 + different deer on trail cams, , I'm just waiting for snow to clear up this week to find some trails to stick few older trail cams out thru winter to watch some heavily pocketed areas to get better idea of what is actually around .

Mild weather here last few days put a kicking into the snow , plus ground is not frozen enough to take hold .

#9 Joyrider

Joyrider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 11:58 AM

Things have come back last 5-10 yrs , depends on what part of the island , Hunters Mountain was paradise 30 yrs ago is now barren of deer , River Denys , Washabuck, Orangdale , have pockets , Framboise / Forchu have very good population compared to 20-30 yrs ago , I'm finding tho you must go off beaten path to find them . Even tho off beaten paths are getting more scarce due to more and more logging roads going in .

Last fall I counted at least 20 + different deer on trail cams, , I'm just waiting for snow to clear up this week to find some trails to stick few older trail cams out thru winter to watch some heavily pocketed areas to get better idea of what is actually around .

Mild weather here last few days put a kicking into the snow , plus ground is not frozen enough to take hold .

Nice!  I hunted in the Framboise area with a friend for 3 or 4 years right before & after the collapse.  I don't remember the exact numbers any more, but I remember talking to the owner of the store that used to be there (this was when you had to reg your deer in person) and the numbers went from well over 100 registered (I was always there around Rem Day) to like 3.  It was shocking how fast it happened.

Great to hear things are finally improving!   It is a beautiful spot and was a lot of fun to explore / hunt.  :-)

#10 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2863 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 01:41 PM

Nice!  I hunted in the Framboise area with a friend for 3 or 4 years right before & after the collapse.  I don't remember the exact numbers any more, but I remember talking to the owner of the store that used to be there (this was when you had to reg your deer in person) and the numbers went from well over 100 registered (I was always there around Rem Day) to like 3.  It was shocking how fast it happened.
Great to hear things are finally improving!   It is a beautiful spot and was a lot of fun to explore / hunt.  :-)

There's many a hunter/fisherman. Who stopped at the old Framboise Village Store in the day , I started my hunting/Fishing days in that neck of the woods , we had a old bus up at St Esprit lake till my uncle had few too many and sold it in a less than stellar state .

One time we drove those dirt roads in evenings just to count deer in back of my dad's old square body Chevy , nothing to count 10-30 plus deer a evening on the back roads.

Today your lucky see one of two a trip , but as stated Framboise looks like a war zone for all the clear cuts where the earth is so badly ripped up nothing grows in many places .

#11 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2863 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 01:46 PM

Seen a video where the deer in Truro actually were using the cross walk going thru town . As already stated , pretty sure those town deer are most likely all from same brood stock , it's a issue that seems no one wants to tackle but yet thro out a band aid to cover the gapping wound to say they are trying to fix it , while it only gets worse .

#12 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11748 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 07 January 2021 - 02:27 PM

Do you remember the  dirt lane in framboise just down from the store with the three mobile homes on the left hand side or where the hippy house/ land  was. My buddys original camp and newly built ( last 7 years ) place is right across from the old hippy land.  I remember the day the oil man filled that store with oil using the wrong pipe sad.png

Two of the  trailers where owned by friends I hunted / worked with and was one of our spots to stay

Cheers

#13 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts
  • LocationMiddle Stewiacke

Posted 12 January 2021 - 03:01 PM

Seen a video where the deer in Truro actually were using the cross walk going thru town . As already stated , pretty sure those town deer are most likely all from same brood stock , it's a issue that seems no one wants to tackle but yet thro out a band aid to cover the gapping wound to say they are trying to fix it , while it only gets worse .

Around Halloween we found the kids’ pumpkin on the lawn, after I had deliberately placed it up on the top step of deck so it wouldn’t be eaten. Weird I thought. So I returned it. Found it rolled across the deck next morning with half of it eaten away. So I set out my trail camera right on the deck and sure enough I caught a deer walk right up my steps(5 stairs!) and push the pumpkin all around the deck eating it and then walked away back down the stairs and over the lawn. 

it’s just ridiculous here now. Late summer early fall we counted about 15 one night coming home on one street. 

Time to start hunting them coyotes, I think!!!!

#14 Joyrider

Joyrider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 11:30 AM

The truro mayor shows his stupidity....

Highlighted in red below in case it's not obvious what I dislike.  ;-)

Truro’s council is creating a new group to help develop a management strategy for their longtime deer issue.

On Monday, Truro councillors voted in favour of establishing a working group to help develop a deer management strategy — which has been the cause of ongoing debate for the last seven years.

“I hope like hell we’re not talking about this on Jan. 11 2022,” Mayor Bill Mills said during the council meeting, adding that councillors have more faith than he does.

“I’m still hoping for a deer-wasting disease to come to Nova Scotia.”

Most residents do not feel lethal means necessary

The town has been working closely with the Department of Lands and Forestry to collect data and information, according to the Urban Deer Management Process Overview. In 2018, the town permitted non-motorized bow hunting in designated areas in an attempt to reduce the deer population. A survey done in the year prior found that only 25 per cent of respondents felt that lethal means were necessary.

“Death and taxes and now deer has become one of those things we’re going to be with as well,” Coun. Cathy Hinton said. “This issue is not going away.”

According to the process overview, Truro’s deer population grew by 70 per cent between 2017-2020. The Department of Lands and Forestry states that if population reduction and control is the town goal, a managed bow hunt is the “only approach with consistent results.”

Deer contraceptives suggested

Local animal-rights activist Ty Savoy thinks otherwise. Savoy would like to see the province look into deer contraceptives, a method that’s being tested in Oak Bay, B.C., with promising results.

“[Nova Scotia] needs to look at this as a legitimate option — they have an agricultural college right there in Bible Hill, right in Truro,” Savoy said. “They could easily get provincial and federal money if they need it for a test program.”

“It just doesn’t seem like the political will is there,” said Savoy.

In the first year of its trial, the Urban Wildlife Stewardship Society was able to inoculate 60 deer and tag 17 with a GPS tracker. The lasting results are incomparable to the alternative option of a cull, according to a 2017 independent review done in Oak Bay.

The review found that deer culls and non-lethal translocation of deer had no long-term results. Instead, the population was quick to rise again, and relocated deer “simply [moved] in from the outside.”

Resident offered land

In council on Monday, Mills asked that residents come forward in co-operation to help address this issue.

“One landowner in town has offered up two acres behind his property where there are lots and lots of deer,” Mills said. “I’m told we could use that if necessary.”

Mills continued, asking that residents who feel similarly and that have forested land on their property send an email to the committee, because “[They’d] like to talk to you.”

It is unclear how the land is intended to be used in regard to deer control.

When asked, Tracy Hart, the town’s executive assistant, said in an email that “a volunteered property does not necessarily mean a hunt would happen on that particular property.”

Hart said that should the council approve a managed hunt, various sites would be assessed —including volunteered private property.

The working group will review and modify management actions as they are implemented and consider their impacts on deer. The group does not have an official membership at this point, although it will consist of town staff, lands and forestry officials, members of council as well as external interest groups.

https://signalhfx.ca...yUEUawo.twitter

R

#15 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2514 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 15 January 2021 - 01:59 PM

likely be seeing Linnie's swingset listed as one of the prime hunt locations.biggrin.png

#16 bakerpete

bakerpete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1051 posts
  • Locationhammonds plains

Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:19 PM

Whenever i hear them talk about deer contraceptives , i wonder who's going to hold the bucks down while they try to get the condom's  on them biggrin.png 

Wish i had half the skill with a rifle my dad had(rest in peace  Dad).

#17 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2863 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 07:22 PM

Whenever i hear them talk about deer contraceptives , i wonder who's going to hold the bucks down while they try to get the condom's on them :D

Maybe the one whos crying her prized flowers will step up and demonstrate how to take a right front hoof to the side of the head .

Or the woman who claims geese are being held down and have feathers plucked off live geese for Canada Goose jackets will volunteer to apply the prophylactics

What next how to direct ducks and geese to migrate away from the bread and feed given out at parks.

Of course I'm being sarcastic , just shaking my head at that

#18 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5876 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 16 January 2021 - 07:15 AM

Whenever i hear them talk about deer contraceptives , i wonder who's going to hold the bucks down while they try to get the condom's  on them :D

Whenever I hear about it I just CRINGE
Too oftenThe human race decides to play God
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#19 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11748 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 17 January 2021 - 10:28 AM

Whenever i hear them talk about deer contraceptives , i wonder who's going to hold the bucks down while they try to get the condom's  on them biggrin.png

They gas them first wacko.png

6uGZhgJ.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users