15 replies to this topic

#1 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 01:19 PM

Got a question for you people. I have a Ruger MK11, broke it down to clean it good. If you know the gun you'll know the hassle it is to put er back together again. I got it back together with very little problem but when I cock it to dry fire it might go 30 rounds and then it acts like it didn't cock but pull the trigger again and it fires,, so it tells me that it's cocking every stroke on the slide but the trigger isn't releasing the hammer on the first pull but it will on the second. I took it apart several times and everything looks to be normal. Any of you good fellows know what I should do to fix it,, can't be nothing too serious. I have another one the same and I looked at them both and nothing seems to be abnormal.

#2 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11749 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 09 January 2021 - 02:11 PM

Know nothing on this one . Sorry my friend maybe Kevin can help

Take care

#3 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 02:54 PM

Yes,,it's a strange one. I did some more testing it, It works great in your left hand works fine, in your right hand it takes 2 pulls of the trigger for it to release the hammer. It seems it the pressure on the trigger itself. if I pull the trigger with my right hand and apply more pressure on the trigger by pulling it to the right it works fine. the gun is almost 40 years old and only had about 50 rounds fired out of it. Came in it's original box and all paper work, from 1984, so it's not worn out by any means, not really much play in the trigger at all ,,my other one is the same amount of play .

#4 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 02:55 PM

Talk to me Kevin !!!!!!

Thanks 3macs 1 !!!

#5 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11749 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 09 January 2021 - 05:40 PM

Talk to me Kevin !!!!!!

Thanks 3macs 1 !!!

Maybe Nomad owned rugers also. I cannot remember

#6 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11749 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 09 January 2021 - 05:55 PM

Found this on a ruger form. Not sure if it makes any sense to you or not

Double trigger pull issue

The issue is indeed the magazine disconnector pressing against the disconnector assembly. Normally they are parallel but inserting a magazine not only pushes the mag disconnector up, but also pushes it sideways so it is askew, causing the front part to rub against the disconnector assembly.

The rear end of the disconnector assembly can be pushed down a few millimeters (is that normal?). When pushed down, the disconnector assembly does not engage the sear when pulled forward by the trigger. Normally when the trigger is pulled the upward pressure from the trigger spring plunger is enough to push the disconnector assembly back up in time to engage the sear.

BUT the friction of the mag disconnector pressing against the disconnector assembly is enough that the disconnector assembly is not pushed up fast enough to engage the sear before being pulled past the sear. The trigger pull does cause the disconnector assembly to work its way upward a bit, so it does engage the sear on a second trigger pull.

So is the problem that the the magazine disconnector should not be pushed askew by the magazine? Or is the problem that being a little askew is ok but it should be polished enough to cause less friction with the disconnector assembly?

#7 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9280 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 09 January 2021 - 07:44 PM

Alan..did it perform normally when it was shot ?  guess I should ask..did you fire the gun before you took it apart ?

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#8 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 08:18 PM

Hi Kevin

I just bought the gun this week. It's from the 80's still in the box, with all the original paper work. I have another one from the same time period. Gun is like new. Guy said it had about 6 rnds shot out of it and I must say that I believe him.

I took mine apart many times no problem so I was bored today I thought I would check this one out. All good, it could use a bit of polishing,,,lot of roughness around the edges. When I put it back together all was good until I dry fired with a snap caps it worked great in my left hand but had to squeeze the trigger twice in my right. I can cock and shoot every time with my left hand ,, but pull twice in my right hand.

I think what 3macs1 wrote there is exactly my troubles. I never had it to the range yet maybe a couple 100 rounds might clear it up perhaps.

Any suggestions on your end. 

With the barrel off it works a-1 by using your fingers to operate it, once you put the barrel on and put in the bolt it friggs up again,,i suppose if I was left handed I wouldnt never had known,,lol

#9 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9280 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 08:49 AM

did you try swapping the barrels or the frame out with each other...see if it persists ?

you try other mags ??   did you take the grips off and see that everything's moving the way it should be when loading the mag into the frame ?

Quite possibly, you may have tweaked something when you were house cleaning...or perhaps there always was an underlying issue with it and it was never disclosed to you by the original owner...maybe that's why there was only 6 shots taken with it.

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#10 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 09:17 AM

No I never tried any of those you mentioned. The guys father bought it when he was just little. So he claims he was the first to fire it. He told me he had no interest in it. The gun is mint so I can't see it being really an issue.

3MACS1 Posted a site on here that I would say is the problem. It sounds crazy ,,but if I pull the trigger with my left hand it will work until dooms day, ,as soon as I use my right hand I need to pull the trigger twice. But if I use my right hand and with my trigger finger apply pressure on it by putting pressure pulling to the right A OK. so it tells me it's rubbing somewhere inside.

I'm thinking by maybe taking it to the range and putting a couple hundred rounds through it might loosen it up. not sure.

I'll try those ideas you told me just to see, never know Kevin, might just be something simple, which I think it is

#11 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 09:26 AM

OK,, Tried 3 other mags ,,, all same thing. Work great in my left hand, but must pull twice to get it to release,,,  BUT, after you pull the first time and release the trigger you can hear a faint ping like something going back in place.  Must take it apart again, anybody have trouble putting these back together, I can do it now with my eyes shut ,,,lol

IT also does the same thing without a mag in it as well,,,

OH Yea Kevin,, I never fired it yet, hopefully this week, try one round at a time in the mag just incase it would go fully auto on me.

#12 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 10:26 AM

Well I took Kevins advice and swapped out both guns,, same,, no friggen difference,, the original worked evert time.. with both barrels off held them up to the light and checked out everything  ,,,,there it was!!!!, the flat bar ,I would call it the hammer release bar which conects to the trigger and to the hammer it was slightly leaning over to the right at the top . I did notice a shiny spot on the bottom of the barrel where something was rubbing on,,,,soooo when I would put the barrel on it would rub up against it and make it drag. So I removed it straightened it out nice and flat and said this has to be the last time for this. 

Put it all back together for the 45th time and pull the slide back and pulled,,,are you ready for this,,hold on,,,,,SNAP,pulled again about 30 times and I counted 30 more snaps,,, fixed ,,OH, By the way both hands all snapping like crazy,, now I'm one happy camper !!!!!

Thanks to 3MACS1 for the article you posted, I would say that was exactly my problem all the time, thanks again,, and to Kevin to get me to try out the parts of my other gun as well. all good 

Thanks Guy's muchly appreciated !!!

#13 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11749 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 10 January 2021 - 10:31 AM

NP glad it is working and we could help. Toss those rugers tongue.png and buy old remingtons. Those we knowlaugh.png laugh.png

#14 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 10:46 AM

NO I have enough now to look after, like those Ruger MK 's,, nothing much to them, very simple when you see them apart except for that main spring housing, Wonder who and how they ever came up with that, even when you look at it and try to figure it out I still can't for the life of me figure it out.

#15 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9280 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 02:26 PM

no worries Alan...annnd YUP, little tweaking...lol...I always had to hold my tongue juuuust right to get that sum bayooch I had back togedder....laugh.pnglaugh.png

#16 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 03:00 PM

Isn't it something else, I ask myself why???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users