Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

Just Curious.

5K views 84 replies 11 participants last post by  3macs1 
#1 ·
Just curious as to why Young guns,Lequille's Hnatniuk's etc were forced out of here by Vertical scope's advertising fees and yet one member is allowed to run what is obviously a firearms selling business through the classifieds forum cost free?
Does this mean those afore mentioned businesses can do the same?

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
This guy (win73) is a business and is taking advantage of a loophole by using the classified section to push his items out. In my opinion it's not right because the classified section is currently filled with his products. I was thinking about posting a crossbow for sale yesterday but good thing I didn't because this guy's products would have pushed my item out of view in just a few hours.

Reputable places like Young Guns, Hnatniuks, Lequilles, etc wouldn't monopolize the classified section for their products. The classified section should only be for "the average guy/gal".

....... but that makes me think that maybe they should revive their business in the "Marketplace Section" to advertise as it seems like there's absolutely no monitoring by Verticle Scope anymore.

Any thoughts/comments Kevin?

#5 ·
yea..he's been a flipper for a long time Ed. Got the same over priced stuff here F/S for a long time.

The last time I had 7 or 8 items posted here the same time, I kind felt bad shoving the rest to the bottom of the page. Since then, I tried to break it up with a few here and there...I let em go for a while and will put a few back up soon.

Had a few thoughts about this a couple of times now Gary. Perhaps, If it's a known business (flipper qualifies
wink.png
) maybe a weekly / monthly limit ? Maybe the other guys can use their names instead of their business names and run a few ads ? for specials or clear outs etc.

#6 ·
Would be excellent to have legit local tax paying businesses advertising here , those same ads we all speak of are on Gun Post , a National advertising site and clearly state no shipping , that said why bother listing there , plus his prices have increased over time on items that have been for sale for a yr or more .

Getting back to local shops advertising in classifieds id say go for it ! After all as stated no one is checking as to who is actually advertising , that is unless it gets reported and even then theres no recourse of action taken .

#7 ·
The administrator hasn't been logged in since August ffs. I think the shops should just start advertising their wares on here and see what comes of it. Perhaps then they could negotiate a fair advertising deal once caught.

#8 ·
yea..he's been a flipper for a long time Ed. Got the same over priced stuff here F/S for a long time.
Yeah, I often wonder if anyone is actually buying his stuff. Most seems ridiculously overpriced but what do I know......

#9 ·
Interesting. If his adds were not there now we would be as bad as NBH. I think, ( just my opinion) since folks went and opened a business account with Canada post to ship the odd rifle then they are ones declaring a business. This guy actually does not ship, no business account? I wonder if the business accounts are going to bite some people in the azz in the long run. How someone being on the front page of adds makes any difference I don't understand, if its not what I am looking for. Isn't this what the classifieds are for, selling hunting stuff?

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Be interesting to know how many stopped shipping with the changes.

Just my 2 cents on the new Canada post requirements which is worth nothing

The Canada post small business account really has been around since 2002?? started under the venture one program and replaced in 2015 with a new name the solutions for small business. Venture one members were automatically transferred over and most were not business owners and every e-bay seller in canada as one example had one to save the 5% .

Have never heard anyone getting screwed by either program in 18 years . In fact never even a complaint with all positive feedback until firearm shipping became part of it in May of 2020 and even that has now become a non issue once new members got set up. Original members just shipped as normal

I can guess why they did this was to have some additional important information being a firearm in the box once they could not longer get a signature for a firearm at delivery due to the virus and some were going missing

I cannot see any issues in the future but that is nothing more than one man's useless opinion based on a few painless shipments I have done since May 2020

Some even say it will return to the old way once signatures can be taken again

Cheers

Original Venture One Card with Canada Post

Venture One Card. You can register for this on the CP site. It will give you 5% off all most all packages across Canada and America . When you bring the package into the postal outlet . You show them your card and get 5% off your shipping

#11 ·
Just my two cents once i see a item listed , re-listed and en bumped repeatedly over and over just to bump everyone else from page one or two and prices go up on already over priced stuff , i just ignore it and scroll on .

Ive dealt with that individual once and only once as he was down on the cape already , he wanted a firearm FTF deal from me , told his sob story why he was on the cape then tried to offer me $150 less than my price to cover his gas expenses for the trip he already took down for other purposes , lets say offer was rejected and took the firearm anyway as he had a buyer back in Truro coming for it b4 he even bought it . Lets just say last time I'll do business with him again .

Ive looked many times for .44 lever but refused pay his price plus gas up and back , ended up getting one from Alberta $$$ less and just as nice or nicer.

#13 ·
Just my two cents once i see a item listed , re-listed and en bumped repeatedly over and over just to bump everyone else from page one or two and prices go up on already over priced stuff , i just ignore it and scroll on .

Ive dealt with that individual once and only once as he was down on the cape already , he wanted a firearm FTF deal from me , told his sob story why he was on the cape then tried to offer me $150 less than my price to cover his gas expenses for the trip he already took down for other purposes , lets say offer was rejected and took the firearm anyway as he had a buyer back in Truro coming for it b4 he even bought it . Lets just say last time I'll do business with him again .

Ive looked many times for .44 lever but refused pay his price plus gas up and back , ended up getting one from Alberta $$$ less and just as nice or nicer.
What one thinks today as to much will only be more with the way things are going, sadly. I see some gun shops sold out of firearms that were all listed $300 over what I paid a year ago for certain models. Only good thing is yours is now worth more. Like building materials, things will not be going back down. The days of getting a $300 rifle are long gone.

#14 ·
In 1980 bought my first 307 lever action, just over $300. In the past three years they sold from $600, $900, $1100, and now to $1400. Lever big bores are through the roof, 44 mags not far behind, 444, 356, 375's etc. New Winchester levers sit around $2000, so used has followed suit. Browning no different. A BLR 30-06, stainless, bought several years ago $600, now $1600. If you find a good deal better jump on it.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Maybe the other guys can use their names instead of their business names and run a few ads ? for specials or clear outs etc.
Good point Kevin! - as well maybe members can advertise some of these businesses (Young Guns, Hnatiuks, Lequilles, etc) specials/clear outs.

These shops lost money when they paid for advertising on this site. Same as the RV and Outdoor Show at Exhibition Park, money loser. Only one business had a booth there in 2020 (for only hours because of Covid) as it costs too much (cost / benefit).

I wouldn't want to see any of these shops close because of the economy as they provide a good service and knowledge (IMO). Many support our communities by making donations of their products to groups/organization, etc.

My buddy was looking for Nosler Partitions 160 gr. for his 7 mm rem mag last fall. Couldn't find them anywhere including big box stores like Cabelas ..... except ..... called JD's down Prospect way and yep he had 3 boxes. May seem like a minor thing to some but to him it was like he struck gold.

#16 ·
i didn't start this thread to debate Win73's pricing. I started to point out how the legit vendors are getting boned by Vertical scope while he is running a business through the classifieds. Bottom line is it's not right.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
i didn't start this thread to debate Win73's pricing. I started to point out how the legit vendors are getting boned by Vertical scope while he is running a business through the classifieds. Bottom line is it's not right.
And yes bottom line it is not right , these sites mean nothing other than they loose money for Vertical Scope , bottom line these sites are a tax write off end of yr , most likely why they are still running .

Local shops should be given preference for advertising on here at a discount rate , that would give these sites preference over FB and so on , saying that a certain shop advertises for free on FB on couple hunting pages under a regular persons account name , and its been working for them .

#18 ·
There are a number of businesses that could establish a good working relationship with vertical scope" all the gun and tackle shops. All the ohv venders, Rv dealers etc,etc. The ball has not only been dropped........it's been kicked off the field.

#19 ·
They probably could...IF, vertical scope was interested
dry.png
dry.png
sure don't seem like it to me.

on a side note regardless of what we think, it does say "free classifieds". There's probably still a few lurkers here that come to only peruse those items. Take more stuff away from the smaller sites, and the "slow death web site erosion" will claim another pc of history
sad.png

#20 ·
They probably could...IF, vertical scope was interested
dry.png
dry.png
sure don't seem like it to me.

on a side note regardless of what we think, it does say "free classifieds". There's probably still a few lurkers here that come to only peruse those items. Take more stuff away from the smaller sites, and the "slow death web site erosion" will claim another pc of history
sad.png
We better try to stay together as much as we can, we have enough attacking us, than each other. One thing I see time and time again and it turns me off from dealing with selling a firearm is everyone wants the stuff for nothing, not just gun flippers. I hate to list anything. First its will you take a trade, will you strip it to bare bones, will you deliver, are you going to be in my area, can you throw in free ammo, mounts, sling etc etc. Does not matter what you state in the add, they try even though its clearly stated. I am shocked when someone actually buys these days. I just had two rifles listed, both retailed at $1150 plus the tax. Brand new with new $250 scopes. I had an offer of $450. Not worth the time posting. I would have a lot more if I could find prestine guns for $450

#21 ·
My gut tells me VS is going to pull the plug on NSH and it's sister sites before long. It is inevitable given the lack of interest ion them.

#22 ·
Be interesting to know how many stopped shipping with the changes.

Just my 2 cents on the new Canada post requirements which is worth nothing

The Canada post small business account really has been around since 2002?? started under the venture one program and replaced in 2015 with a new name the solutions for small business. Venture one members were automatically transferred over and most were not business owners and every e-bay seller in canada as one example had one to save the 5% .

Have never heard anyone getting screwed by either program in 18 years . In fact never even a complaint with all positive feedback until firearm shipping became part of it in May of 2020 and even that has now become a non issue once new members got set up. Original members just shipped as normal

I can guess why they did this was to have some additional important information being a firearm in the box once they could not longer get a signature for a firearm at delivery due to the virus and some were going missing

I cannot see any issues in the future but that is nothing more than one man's useless opinion based on a few painless shipments I have done since May 2020

Some even say it will return to the old way once signatures can be taken again

Cheers

Original Venture One Card with Canada Post

Venture One Card. You can register for this on the CP site. It will give you 5% off all most all packages across Canada and America . When you bring the package into the postal outlet . You show them your card and get 5% off your shipping
I see a potential problem with the Soloutions for Small Business accounts. Under the Firearms Act the CFO can enter any firearms business without a warrant and search anywhere there may be a gun or records of gun transactions. By signing up for a small business account I'd say many people are opening themselves up to potentially having a firearms officer search their homes,computers and financial records and then having the CRA crawl up their butts for unpaid taxes on gun sales. By opening the small business account you could be basically saying to the Govt that you are running an unlicensed firearms business.

#23 ·
I see a potential problem with the Soloutions for Small Business accounts. Under the Firearms Act the CFO can enter any firearms business without a warrant and search anywhere there may be a gun or records of gun transactions. By signing up for a small business account I'd say many people are opening themselves up to potentially having a firearms officer search their homes,computers and financial records and then having the CRA crawl up their butts for unpaid taxes on gun sales. By opening the small business account you could be basically saying to the Govt that you are running an unlicensed firearms business.
There is no long gun registry...sooo no need to keep any records ! Just show your PAL and you're good to go. The SBA from CP is for anyone that wants to ship anything to anywhere. I know a few who have it just to send gifts and home stuff to their kids and esp the grand kids out west !

There are hundreds of women with these small business accounts...I know of several that bring in stuff from overseas and re-sell (re-distribute) it here

Besides...how does anyone (or you) for that matter know its all guns being sold by people with these accounts ? what about scopes, mounts, brass, bullet tips ?? Hunting gear, clothing etc ? stocks, parts, ?..unlimited list really.

By your logic the CRA should be attending flea markets and gun shows to bring down the hammer...LOL

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
Since you mentioned the firearms act and inspections lets look at it

The business part is just some small segment of it

Bottom line you have an active RPAL or PAL he knows you have guns and can inspect no warrant really any time they like. OH I heard you had a prohib ?? or more than 10 guns

How many have had inspections is the question. We can count on one hand how many documented collectors that have let alone an average Joe

Not to mention the business account is not going to indicate what you are shipping and as far as the tax man goes they have ten years work on the overpayments to deal with on the virus money to deal with the peanuts here

Inspection

• <a>102</a> <a>(1)</a> Subject to section 104, for the purpose of ensuring compliance with this Act and the regulations, an inspector may at any reasonable time enter and inspect any place where the inspector believes on reasonable grounds a business is being carried on or there is a record of a business, any place in which the inspector believes on reasonable grounds there is a gun collection or a record in relation to a gun collection or any place in which the inspector believes on reasonable grounds there is a prohibited firearm or there are more than 10 firearms

or in my case when I was a collector a gun hating neighbor calls complaining

#25 ·
There is no long gun registry...sooo no need to keep any records ! Just show your PAL and you're good to go. The SBA from CP is for anyone that wants to ship anything to anywhere. I know a few who have it just to send gifts and home stuff to their kids and esp the grand kids out west !

There are hundreds of women with these small business accounts...I know of several that bring in stuff from overseas and re-sell (re-distribute) it here

Besides...how does anyone (or you) for that matter know its all guns being sold by people with these accounts ? what about scopes, mounts, brass, bullet tips ?? Hunting gear, clothing etc ? stocks, parts, ?..unlimited list really.

By your logic the CRA should be attending flea markets and gun shows to bring down the hammer...LOL
With where we are today and the growing debt and the distaste of this government on firearms I will not be filling out an account with my info. Canada Post is goverment run? I was told before my opinion was wrong but when I asked a RCMP officer his answer was its a business account you are using to sell a firearm, there is a form on the RCMP site that he told me had to be filled out each time. Of course this was laughed at. There are gun flippers selling 5-10 a day on a business account, tax free, my money is on this could bite some in the ass. As simple as it appears it is I will pass. The few that I shipped over the years before the business account was required, CP acknowledged they knew what I was shipping each time. If they knew then, they certainly know now who frequently is selling firearms. I don't like my info being out there and I did not like the fact that my local post office appears to be tracking just who is moving a firearm. I see more and more adds saying no shipping these days. Either they cannot use the computer or they have concerns about opening an account.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.