#1 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2537 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 15 February 2021 - 03:30 PM

giving the new "shoes" a workout the past cpl mornings - beauty days to be out & about....

NAQDBmX.jpg

FgSvKdb.jpg

gPwSNMW.jpg

bobcat followed my trail for a bit...

zwrhrGs.jpg

FeLuycN.jpg

#2 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1979 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 15 February 2021 - 04:11 PM

Indeed a great few days
The snow is hampering the hounds, its too fluffy still so they are sinking while the bunnies run on top.
Last few times out were 1 bunny per
Didnt even take the hunting stuff over the weekend, decided to try fishing on the hard water.
can i go hunting yet??

#3 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12274 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 15 February 2021 - 04:55 PM

Nice catch

Cannot be too many coyotes in your area which is a good thing

Cheers

#4 Caper391

Caper391

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationGlace Bay

Posted 15 February 2021 - 06:41 PM

Nice haul...

#5 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2537 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 16 February 2021 - 07:25 AM

Nice catch

Cannot be too many coyotes in your area which is a good thing

Cheers

yote population appears down in the areas I go in zone 107 - not seeing a lot of sign or much on the tcams. Bobcats seem up so wondering if its a canine type disease thats affecting the coyotes.

#6 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12274 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 16 February 2021 - 07:29 AM

yote population appears down in the areas I go in zone 107 - not seeing a lot of sign or much on the tcams. Bobcats seem up so wondering if its a canine type disease thats affecting the coyotes.

I only talked to one guy snaring here this year and he is losing he says almost half between coyotes and owls he thinks. Many nothing left behind but the head

take care

#7 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2766 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 16 February 2021 - 07:51 AM

good catch.

I am going to have to get out on my snowshoes as its been a while.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#8 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12274 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 16 February 2021 - 09:05 AM

So what do you guys use today for snowshoes. What are the best ones to buy

Christ I would have to go to my bud's cabin to get my last ones back where they are vintage wall hangers on the left here

They were had made in northern Ontario by a first nation guy I met up there in the 80's. I think the pattern he got from samuel de champlain biggrin.png biggrin.png

lna9atL.jpg

#9 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1979 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 16 February 2021 - 09:49 AM

Ive got 5 pair of snowshoes here
One old rawhide webbing
One military surplus
3 various newer styled with various types of attaching to your feet. My favorite pair is a modified bear pattern with simple pull type straps to tighten to your boots. I can get them on and off easily, even after a days use shen they could be full of ice.
They are aluminum frame with what id call "crazy carpet" pieces for webbing. Narrow enough to walk through thickets when hunting and they dont alter your normal walking gait. They'll carry 220lbs so i can carry the normal stuff when im out. Best part wad finding them in june at a yard sale fod $10
can i go hunting yet??

#10 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2537 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 16 February 2021 - 12:13 PM

Ive got the wood frame/rawhide webbing with tail (like the kids model in the pic, just bigger) and rubber/inner tube type bindings. Theyre fairly quiet and easy to get around on. Been using this type for decades.

Plus, have the aluminum frame/plastic webbing type. The bindings are plastic with flex wire ratchet ( wire ratchet is easy - same system as my wading shoes) & rubber back loop. Theyre noisy, especially with any crust on the snow. Very lightweight & the built in crampon stops slip on steep hills. These ones are new to me - seem pretty tough.

L4cdt8H.jpg

#11 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1979 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 16 February 2021 - 12:40 PM

Yup thats like the ones i have
I keep extras on hand in case we need them to chase the bunnies and someone doesn't have any. Saved a hunt a few days.
can i go hunting yet??

#12 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12274 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 16 February 2021 - 01:28 PM

WOW very cool. I didnot thing the old wooden ones would still be used

Thanks for the pics

#13 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9420 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 16 February 2021 - 04:50 PM

ya ever put em on backwards and go about your business...just to try screwing with people who's lookin round your spots  ??

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#14 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2537 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 16 February 2021 - 07:04 PM

ya ever put em on backwards and go about your business...just to try screwing with people who's lookin round your spots  ??

haha - did you hang around with same crowd as me back in the day. LOL.

#15 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1748 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 16 February 2021 - 08:07 PM

Lol....I don't know how many times I have walked into a place in the snow, without snowshoes and then walked back out in my same tracks..........>Pete

Deer zones in Nova Scotia need to be reduced in size and micro managed by DNR. Zone 107 is too big!! It needs to be cut in half with the Shubie River as a boundry. Areas on the Hant Co side should not be either sex but bucks only with a doe draw, in my opinion. >Pete

#16 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9420 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 07:50 AM

LOL...mayyyybeee.....lmao.....when ever I see snow shoes, I often think of a story I read a looooong time ago, The Mad Trapper of the Rat River...Albert Johnston. He did that very thing and sent the RCMP in the wrong direction for a day or two. 

Quite the story if you've never read it !  I befriended a guy in Hawbolt SK...who was kin of one of the RC's that chased him. He was telling me about it so I had to get the book. One of many stories I read  that seems to always stay with me.

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#17 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12274 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 17 February 2021 - 12:38 PM

I could never tell the difference biggrin.png biggrin.png

WcT5iks.jpg

#18 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2537 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 17 February 2021 - 02:58 PM

LOL...mayyyybeee.....lmao.....when ever I see snow shoes, I often think of a story I read a looooong time ago, The Mad Trapper of the Rat River...Albert Johnston. He did that very thing and sent the RCMP in the wrong direction for a day or two. 

Quite the story if you've never read it !  I befriended a guy in Hawbolt SK...who was kin of one of the RC's that chased him. He was telling me about it so I had to get the book. One of many stories I read  that seems to always stay with me.

I remember seeing the pic of him (dead) in Fur-Fish-Game when I was a teen. Ive read the book too. If I recall, he got shot because he didnt have his snowshoes on when they cornered him - couldnt get away in the deep snow.

#19 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9420 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 06:10 PM

Yup....Pretty scary photos of him post search and kill... I think it was like 4 or 5 weeks they chased him like 150 or more miles

#20 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5962 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 17 February 2021 - 07:32 PM

Red coats from the Mounties who are known for their fame
Went north to find the trouble that the trapper was to blame

La la la la Layla la ........................( don’t remember all the words).......................the lead
And under a hail of bullets Albert Johnson now laid dead.
The capture of Albert Johnson ( Rat Rive Trapper)
By Wilf Carter
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈπŸŽ±πŸ¦ŒπŸ€ 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users