#1 Joyrider

Joyrider

So much anger towards everything... :-(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts
  • Location(Prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 19 February 2021 - 04:22 PM

Does anyone have anything remotely hunting related to discuss...?

Some possible suggestions....

Anyone into winter camping?  I've never tried it...

I was planning on going out for my first Coyote hunt of the year (late!) with my 204 tomorrow, but it looks like the weather will kill that off...  :-(  Do you guys have dedicated guns (like my 204) or do you use your deer rifle (or something else...?)  

I am taking the trapping course on 4-Apr.  Anyone else from NSH going to be there?  I was dumb when I picked the date, I didn't realize it was a long weekend.  Doh!  I am really looking forward to it!  I don't know much about trapping, I am hoping to get some good ideas for coyote & bear in particular.

I had my beagle out a couple of weekends ago.  He's a great pet, but at best "so-so" as a hunter.  Great day in the woods but no bunnies.  It was the Sat before the snow so no tracks to see - maybe there just wasn't any around....  (wishful thinking)

I picked up a new chopping axe the other day.  So far I really like it!
(https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Ok, that's all I've got.  Any of those topics of interest...?  Anything else?

Rob

#2 682bubba

682bubba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationCape Breton Island NS Canada

Posted 19 February 2021 - 04:28 PM

I take my 243 or 10ga out for coyotes i was out a couple of times nothing came to the calls now the snow is to deep for me and the bike so i'm hoping the snow is gone before the end of march to get out.

#3 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2964 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 05:13 PM

For yotes I love my 10 gauge along with my 22-250 , used to winter camp many moons ago , absolute joy it was , made weekend and ice fished at same time , sometimes cutting or chopping thru 30 inches of ice , drive out one of the ole cars or trucks to the ice hole , lmao .

For trapping course Rob , study that book constantly as often as you can , theres a lot to it , listen to those teaching and take notes thru the course , its a good 8-11 hour day easy , so take lunch

As for my axes I love my Estwig 14 inch with leather grip and leather sheath , it was gift about 28 yrs ago , brought back from a Florida flea market , it cost at that time $10 brand new, deal of a steel . Plus ive got its big brother for felling if needed , always with me in the bush the small hatchet , keeps a edge like no other .
Nice axe you picked out , hope it holds good edge for you .

I might go in the morning for yotes b4 storms they are on the move , plus its breading season so might luck out early morn.
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#4 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5197 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 19 February 2021 - 05:55 PM

I've got a .204 but I haven't had a chance to get out yet. Mine is a heavy bugger. Thinking I might get another in a much lighter platform. Afterall, who needs weight in a .204 lol?
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#5 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Nova Scotia

Posted 19 February 2021 - 06:58 PM

Winter camping you say. Try building a Quinzee snow shelter in your backyard. Find the instructions on the internet that use the sea urchin method( sticks of the same length) used to determine thickness of the wall. Once you have mastered your building skills, head out early to your favourite location and start your construction early in the day so the snow gets a chance to settle and pack before you hollow out your overnight shelter. As long as you are ok with just being able to sit up in your shelter and the weather conditions are good these are a neat way spend a winters night. These shelters are meant to be used as a survival shelter. If you have some land and are thinking of a more permanent winter camp a canvas/cotton outfitters tent with a stove ring is the way to go. Make a wooded platform for sleeping mats and you can spend the entire winter outside! Or if just a weekender you can take your nylon low profile, steep sided tent, dig down and pack the snow, ground tarp and pack snow around the base. Winter camping is fun as long as it is cold. Wet snow or rain will ruin a winter camping trip.
Cold feet at night is what I hated about Winter camping in cold temps of minus 20 to 30 C. I found a spare pair of dry Sorel boot liners were the cats aze for use on your feet inside your minus 40 below rated sleeping bag.
Lots of gear choices and ideas on Winter camping. It is a good activity to combine with ice fishing, moose hunting, or extended snow machine trips. Enjoy!

#6 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12274 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 19 February 2021 - 07:02 PM

What I have left for dedicated coyotes guns are an early 80's 700 BDL Varmint heavy barrel in 223 with a vintage bushnell 4-12x scope, a brand new vintage 7600 pump in 243 that I got the sling mount on like 25 years ago ( yep I have a scope and mounts  sad.png )and that was it and a rem sp-10 10ga 30 " that I have an extra 23" barrel for when yote hunting. Sold off some others but these will die with me even if it has been 16 years since I hunted them 

Cheers

This is the 7600 243 for yotes ( shop was closing and I bought three that day in 243 two a bit older with the fleur de lie pattern all NIB )

bV4BWIS.jpg

gnFHKSQ.jpg

#7 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5962 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 19 February 2021 - 07:11 PM

Just got back from hunting.
Hunted all over the house for my I pad.
My wife had it down stairs in her salon.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#8 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12274 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 19 February 2021 - 07:31 PM

Just got back from hunting.
Hunted all over the house for my I pad.
My wife had it down stairs in her salon.

Good one 3Dbiggrin.png biggrin.png

#9 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1979 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:55 PM

As a former scout and scout leader, ive done my share of winter camping. I tend to agree on the cold feet at 5am but ive found a wool blanket folded opposite the zipper with a flannel liner my best sleep. If you want to borrow an old scout field book im sure i could find a few here
Dont hunt yotes as bunny season is still going, if we can go with the snow. Tomorrow morning 7am decision on if we're going, my hounds have not been running in 2weeks. Maggie needs to go for a long run in deep snow to burn all her extra energy.
I did my trappers course about 10yrs ago so i could harvest an extra bear, did just that for a few years before work picked up.
can i go hunting yet??

#10 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12274 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 20 February 2021 - 07:32 AM

As far as axes. I have one of these on my large belt that was always with me hunting and fishing. Was my dad's so guessing 50's vintage and a small buck axe in the backpack same as this one guessing 40 years old now

y3LtLeF.jpg

NkMvULx.jpg

#11 682bubba

682bubba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:10 AM

I just finished my custom damascus hunting knife next im doing a damascus hatchett for myself what shape weight and size of axe,hatchet do you guys recommend.

#12 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12274 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:33 AM

I just finished my custom damascus hunting knife next im doing a damascus hatchett for myself what shape weight and size of axe,hatchet do you guys recommend.

IF me I would use an estwing for a pattern. hard to beat one of those IMO

Cheers

#13 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:55 AM

As far as axes. I have one of these on my large belt that was always with me hunting and fishing. Was my dad's so guessing 50's vintage and a small buck axe in the backpack same as this one guessing 40 years old now
y3LtLeF.jpg
NkMvULx.jpg

I always kept a long handled heavy headed axe in my truck and one in the butcher box.
In my day pack I carry a big buck knife and a quality folding saw. I find a folding saw a very versatile tool for bush work and camping.

#14 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:58 AM

That sounds like a neat hobby you got going there. I always wanted to make a knife. I read about people making them by grinding down old files but not the same as what you are doing. Cool

#15 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12274 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:05 AM

I always kept a long handled heavy headed axe in my truck and one in the butcher box.
In my day pack I carry a big buck knife and a quality folding saw. I find a folding saw a very versatile tool for bush work and camping.

Yep the old buck 119 is on the same belt for me as the axe and I do have a folding saw in the pack but honestly mine is crap. I forget what make it is gerber I think but plastic and junk

I was going to get one of the wyoming ones like a friend had in the leather case but never did now that works just fine

Cheers

#16 682bubba

682bubba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:09 AM

That sounds like a neat hobby you got going there. I always wanted to make a knife. I read about people making them by grinding down old files but not the same as what you are doing. Cool

Making damascus from raw stock is a different animal all together but i made alot our of truck/car springs.

#17 682bubba

682bubba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:11 AM

IF me I would use an estwing for a pattern. hard to beat one of those IMO

Cheers

I like old patterns i'm thinking trade axe or bearded the modern ones don't appeal to me.

#18 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12274 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:15 AM

I like old patterns i'm thinking trade axe or bearded the modern ones don't appeal to me.

Well if you want real old I know someone close to you with real ancient axes hanging around some 12" wide that may be able to help:)

I will have to look up what those types you mention look like

Just looked. Nope I have no bearded but have some that look like this trade one somewhere. If you want bearded I know a vintage tool collector in River B that I think may be able to help you. He had a ton of vintage axes when I was there last ( 2 years ago ) and will sell stuff

PNJV5MM.jpg

#19 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12274 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:26 AM

Most of the small ones look like these I have. No idea what name they are 

j8G2dO1.jpg

or if you want a double head quite few of those kicking around laugh.png laugh.png. Then we could call you Paul B

mqvYSqR.jpg

l

#20 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12274 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:59 AM

I can see now why after I look at some. Real nice samples out there

kTYmPIr.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users