31 replies to this topic

#21 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9420 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 20 February 2021 - 12:31 PM

I have my uncles old double bladed axe. I remember it from 67 /68...Found it buried in a far corner of my fish store. I cleaned it up put a new handle on it and restored it to its' former glory. Hangs on an overhead beam there today. He always kept his stuff razor sharp. You could shave with any of his stuff !!  Sharpen it then use the leather strop / and finesse hone it ! 

He always  said.." kev...you'll cut yourself a lot faster with a dull knife than you will with a sharp one. You should always have a pocket knife on ya, SOOO KEEP IT SHARP "!! .....and..."you can trust / gauge a man by how sharp his pocket knife is"  ...Dad kept his like a scalpel and quite often said this too. 

When I was growing up, uncle Kenny would take me down to the wharf and I used to turn the old sandstone wheel for him pretty well once every 2 weeks. Sometimes for the better part of a couple of hours or more. ESP if they were working in the woods cuttin wharf studs..they'd use 4 or 5 different axes, and if fishing was on them...all his fishing (gibbing, back bone splitting and gutting) knives as well,  pocket knives, scythes and all their household stuff too.

Seemed like there was always a whet stone and a pc of 1/8 leather above every door header when I was growin up !

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#22 682bubba

682bubba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationCape Breton Island NS Canada

Posted 20 February 2021 - 01:01 PM

Bearded axe it is then lol if i could figure how to post pics i would lol

#23 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Nova Scotia

Posted 20 February 2021 - 01:23 PM

Bearded axe it is then lol if i could figure how to post pics i would lol

What type of computer are you using?

#24 682bubba

682bubba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 01:35 PM

What type of computer are you using?

Wrong guy im computor illiterate  and the kids are away and me and the wife will divorce if i ask her for help.

#25 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Nova Scotia

Posted 20 February 2021 - 02:05 PM

Wrong guy im computor illiterate and the kids are away and me and the wife will divorce if i ask her for help.

Well you can take a picture of the axe and upload it to the Nova Scotia Hunting Gallery. People can view the axe head there. If you desire you can copy the pic from the album you created in the gallery and paste it in your post. It will come out as a bunch of highlighted characters just like the one below.
https://www.novascot...nd-the-red-jug/

#26 NS_Sens

NS_Sens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 04:52 PM

I'll be attending the course on the same day. Can't say I know anything about trapping either.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

#27 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12274 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 21 February 2021 - 07:46 AM

I have my uncles old double bladed axe. I remember it from 67 /68...Found it buried in a far corner of my fish store. I cleaned it up put a new handle on it and restored it to its' former glory. Hangs on an overhead beam there today. He always kept his stuff razor sharp. You could shave with any of his stuff !!  Sharpen it then use the leather strop / and finesse hone it ! 

He always  said.." kev...you'll cut yourself a lot faster with a dull knife than you will with a sharp one. You should always have a pocket knife on ya, SOOO KEEP IT SHARP "!! .....and..."you can trust / gauge a man by how sharp his pocket knife is"  ...Dad kept his like a scalpel and quite often said this too. 

When I was growing up, uncle Kenny would take me down to the wharf and I used to turn the old sandstone wheel for him pretty well once every 2 weeks. Sometimes for the better part of a couple of hours or more. ESP if they were working in the woods cuttin wharf studs..they'd use 4 or 5 different axes, and if fishing was on them...all his fishing (gibbing, back bone splitting and gutting) knives as well,  pocket knives, scythes and all their household stuff too.

Seemed like there was always a whet stone and a pc of 1/8 leather above every door header when I was growin up !

Items like that axe are priceless IMO. I have a few of my grandfathers items and one or two of my grandmothers that will die with me like the garden hoe she took from ukraine with her

My grandfathers were guns Winchester model 21's and a model 12 28 ga. Sold they would have paid for 1/2 of my last mortgage but thank God the mrs didnot know that

So many tight times over the years and so many times I thought about it but now gladly I didnot sell

Joke is I will die and daughter will sell them in 6 months sad.png. I still have two of the stones you talk about a small hand one and the huge foot powered one and redid the wooden bases for them which rotted away , they are on display every summer here

Take care

#28 682bubba

682bubba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 09:19 AM

Well you can take a picture of the axe and upload it to the Nova Scotia Hunting Gallery. People can view the axe head there. If you desire you can copy the pic from the album you created in the gallery and paste it in your post. It will come out as a bunch of highlighted characters just like the one below.
https://www.novascot...nd-the-red-jug/

I'll give it a try when its ready it'll be a couple of weeks i got some little stuff to finish up and use up whats left in propane so i can get it refilled.I dont want to run out of gas welding damascus.If worse comes to worse i'll text you the pics...

#29 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9420 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:30 AM

Items like that axe are priceless IMO. I have a few of my grandfathers items and one or two of my grandmothers that will die with me like the garden hoe she took from ukraine with her

My grandfathers were guns Winchester model 21's and a model 12 28 ga. Sold they would have paid for 1/2 of my last mortgage but thank God the mrs didnot know that

So many tight times over the years and so many times I thought about it but now gladly I didnot sell

Joke is I will die and daughter will sell them in 6 months sad.png. I still have two of the stones you talk about a small hand one and the huge foot powered one and redid the wooden bases for them which rotted away , they are on display every summer here

Take care

Joe...You got the old piece of car tire nailed on underneath to hold the water too....lol

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#30 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12274 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 21 February 2021 - 01:40 PM

Joe...You got the old piece of car tire nailed on underneath to hold the water too....lol

Nope ours was a fancy one with a copper lined wooden box smile.png

Not a great pic of them but all I have until June when I set up again Sorry

If you look close on the left by the buffalo skull on the bench you will see the small red hand one and black water box ( right over the blue creamer can )  and on the far right the foot pedal driven big wheel one with the course stone fitted and the fine stone hanging on the side of the stand

Cheers

thYCkq6.jpg

#31 Joyrider

Joyrider

So much anger towards everything... :-(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts
  • Location(Prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:24 AM

Great stories!  Thanks all!

I haven't cracked the trapping book yet, I don't want to do it all too early and forget by the time the course comes around.  :-)

R

#32 Skudiak Man

Skudiak Man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSouWest Nova

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:40 PM

We do some late season deer hunting out of a tent with a stove. -10 was the coldest last fall with snow and rain days before that. Lots of dry maple and a good stove will keep you comfortable. Its' an enjoyable way to deer hunt and enjoy the outdoors. All the best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users