19 replies to this topic

#1 30-06

30-06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 04:05 PM

Anyone have any thoughts or information on these. Juat wondering what they may be like and if they are calibre specific are they decent? Will probably go with a vortex or burris but just wondering if there is any bonuses to these calibre specific cabella scopes lol.

#2 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1979 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 20 February 2021 - 04:20 PM

Ive got one for my 3006 and their muzzle loader one.
Very good so far, nice and clear, picks 🆙 light in the golden hour.
Friend of mine was looking to buy last year and picked up one after looking through it. He did some online searching and found they use 2 suppliers for their store branded one. At tge time it was Burris and ???

I haven't tried the "step" increase bar yet, no need. I do know it has a load specific bullet in mind, i think i saw it in the paperwork.

I picked up both of mine on sale , under $100 taxes in.
can i go hunting yet??

#3 Caper391

Caper391

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationGlace Bay

Posted 20 February 2021 - 04:27 PM

I don't know anything about Cabelas scopes and after reading the product description, the One Year Warranty doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling to say the least. It may be a fine scope that will give you years of trouble free use but I would go with one of your other options...at least they have a limited or forever lifetime warranty.

#4 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5197 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 20 February 2021 - 05:02 PM

Cabelas has a line of scopes made by meopta. I believe it is called the Euro instinct and it is quality built.The rest of their scopes are made of "Leaverrite". Meaning......."Leave-r-rite there".........It's junk!
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#5 30-06

30-06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:27 PM

Lol

#6 hityad

hityad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:42 PM

Give Bushnell AR scopes a try before, not much of a price difference for a half decent scope and better warranty. Canadian Tire at Bayers Lake  Halifax has a good lineup of those

#7 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5962 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 21 February 2021 - 11:16 AM

Give Bushnell AR scopes a try before, not much of a price difference for a half decent scope and better warranty. Canadian Tire at Bayers Lake  Halifax has a good lineup of those

Yes but be careful what you buy. If it actually says AR scope it will likely be prohibited! Too scary sounding
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#8 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9420 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 21 February 2021 - 11:46 AM

The AR lineup is a very short body'd scope requiring a picatinny or receiver rail to give you the proper eye relief. 

NOTHING any worse than trying to crawl up over a gunstock to get the proper eye relief on your scope....FIT...FIT...FIT  makes the whole world of a difference !!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#9 30-06

30-06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 02:14 PM

Thinking of sticking with Burris, seems to work so far.

#10 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12274 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 21 February 2021 - 05:05 PM

Thinking of sticking with Burris, seems to work so far.

The 100% USA made are excellent and they say the Philippine are assembled with US made parts so fine also

I would not jump and down on the china made ones they sell

I would check what Burris lines are made where before buying

Just my 2 cents

#11 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3491 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:04 AM

The 100% USA made are excellent and they say the Philippine are assembled with US made parts so fine also

I would not jump and down on the china made ones they sell

I would check what Burris lines are made where before buying

Just my 2 cents

I have bought several Burris in the last few years. They seem to be a very good scope, good light retention. One other that have have purchased was the Bushnell prime where the center dot in the cross hairs illuminates. They are a nice scope for little light.

#12 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12274 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:48 AM

I have bought several Burris in the last few years. They seem to be a very good scope, good light retention. One other that have have purchased was the Bushnell prime where the center dot in the cross hairs illuminates. They are a nice scope for little light.

My two are great also but they are vintage and USA made

They say now some of their lines/ models are fine others no so much since they are being put together in four maybe more places now

I know USA, Philippine,  and china for sure and they say to stay away from the china ones but I have no clue what models they are

Cheers

Some history here

https://www.chuckhaw...rris_optics.htm

Here we go. Not my words

Burris XTR III scopes are made in the US
Burris XTR II scopes are made in the Phillipines
Burris Fullfield II scopes are made in the Phillipines
Burris Eliminator scopes are made in the Phillipines
Burris Fullfield IV scopes are made in China
Burris RT-5, RT-8 and Signature scopes are made in China.

I do not think Burris hiding the country of origin at all, so you can select based on your preferences.

It is not practical to build lower priced optics in the US, so noone does it. Burris actually builds a fair amount of stuff for the Steiner brand in the US. Somewhat paradoxically, I think there more Steiner branded products built in the US than Burris branded products.

#13 30-06

30-06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 11:25 AM

Actually, lol it looks as if all the parts are made in the Philippines, where most are assembled in the Philippines, but some are assembled in the US.  But I could be wrong....info below is from Jan. 2021.

https://consumerfile...ris_Scopes_made

#14 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12274 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 22 February 2021 - 11:36 AM

Actually, lol it looks as if all the parts are made in the Philippines, where most are assembled in the Philippines, but some are assembled in the US.  But I could be wrong....info below is from Jan. 2021.

https://consumerfile...ris_Scopes_made

Yes but some are also made in china now and they say not to get those

Not worth that gamble IMO unless I could check the box before handing out cash

To each their own

Cheers

Seems china may have happened just before and after your date

https://www.snipersh...arrive.7019780/

Burris Fullfield IV 6-24x50 Specifications Manufacturer Burris Riflescopes series Burris Fullfield IV Made in China In production since 2020

#15 hityad

hityad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 22 February 2021 - 12:44 PM

Not all of them are short scopes, the lineup has a spectrum of different size, the eye relief is just as average as it gets between 3.5 to 4 in. I have a 1-4x24 AR scope on my 44 Magnum Henry lever and very happy with it.

The AR lineup is a very short body'd scope requiring a picatinny or receiver rail to give you the proper eye relief. 

NOTHING any worse than trying to crawl up over a gunstock to get the proper eye relief on your scope....FIT...FIT...FIT  makes the whole world of a difference !!

#16 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5197 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 22 February 2021 - 03:03 PM

Leupolds are always a great alternative when you can spot a deal. Only scope I consider a safe bet on a used purchase. Their warranty is excellent and very rarely needed. The vx-II and vx-2 models can often be found on cgn for decent prices. The vx freedom line is reasonably priced new as well.
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#17 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9420 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 04:41 PM

Not all of them are short scopes, the lineup has a spectrum of different size, the eye relief is just as average as it gets between 3.5 to 4 in. I have a 1-4x24 AR scope on my 44 Magnum Henry lever and very happy with it.

No doubt about it,  that there are lotsa different lengths, and they will work on some other rifles, but the AR platforms are all the same and have that built in rail, some so the scopes can move a lot further to the rear...and magnum eyebrow isn't any consideration when shooting 223 or 556. See guys put a 3x or a 6x multiplier behind or ahead of those short AR scopes. Esp military and special forces. Flip up and down...like the old weavers...lol

The lever 44 mag is a short receiver anyway, and shorter overall than most bolt action rifles, so your eye relief is automatically a tad closer..if you put that same scope on a B/A Savage 7mmRM or a Win / 70 in 300 WM ...then have a look at the difference.  Factor in also that not all people are built the same. Some have T-Rex arms and others drag their knuckles on the ground as they walk...lol.

Depending on the firearm, and the scope selected, lots of guys will have to use a set of extension rings to get their scopes back far enuff so they're not looking thru the black hole...and that's not just with AR scopes. The overall design now seems to be more shorter tubes for the 3-9 genre of optics.

Just be mindful when buying a scope...lots of things to consider to give you the proper fitting best bang for your buck...if you're buying a quality scope, ask around, look and look some more..do your homework, you'll be glad you did.

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#18 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9420 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 04:53 PM

Leupolds are always a great alternative when you can spot a deal. Only scope I consider a safe bet on a used purchase. Their warranty is excellent and very rarely needed. The vx-II and vx-2 models can often be found on cgn for decent prices. The vx freedom line is reasonably priced new as well.

Ed..I only owned 2 in my days...BOTH were problems. The first one, it was almost impossible to turn the elevation turret. I dropped of to Korth personally while enroute to the west coast..told them the issue...only took em 9 months to get it back to me and the turret was just as hard to turn....friggen near HAD to use a screwdriver !  Second one fogged up...it was repaired (so they said) I never bothered to try it out..sold it too. 

I had a couple of Bushnells then, and I liked em a lot, so I went to Bushnell for everything else, and never looked back. That being said....I've had a few of them that also had an issue BUT they were always replaced...no questions asked, so still buy them ! !

There's as many scopes out there as there are hunters...lol...everyone has a favorite..To each their own I say...long as your happy, and the bullet hits where you point...that's really all that counts  wink.png wink.png

#19 hityad

hityad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:02 AM

No doubt about it,  that there are lotsa different lengths, and they will work on some other rifles, but the AR platforms are all the same and have that built in rail, some so the scopes can move a lot further to the rear...and magnum eyebrow isn't any consideration when shooting 223 or 556. See guys put a 3x or a 6x multiplier behind or ahead of those short AR scopes. Esp military and special forces. Flip up and down...like the old weavers...lol

The lever 44 mag is a short receiver anyway, and shorter overall than most bolt action rifles, so your eye relief is automatically a tad closer..if you put that same scope on a B/A Savage 7mmRM or a Win / 70 in 300 WM ...then have a look at the difference.  Factor in also that not all people are built the same. Some have T-Rex arms and others drag their knuckles on the ground as they walk...lol.

Depending on the firearm, and the scope selected, lots of guys will have to use a set of extension rings to get their scopes back far enuff so they're not looking thru the black hole...and that's not just with AR scopes. The overall design now seems to be more shorter tubes for the 3-9 genre of optics.

Just be mindful when buying a scope...lots of things to consider to give you the proper fitting best bang for your buck...if you're buying a quality scope, ask around, look and look some more..do your homework, you'll be glad you did.

True, I am looking for a new scope for a 300 WM I just bought, primarily focused on Bushnell, thought about Leupold but their turrets are absolute garbage for the price. Dr Delas in Moncton has a few Bushnells priced very reasonably. 

#20 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9420 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 08:44 AM

Check the classifieds...couple of great Bushnell deals in there   wink.png wink.png happy.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users