• Locationmt uniacke

Posted 08 March 2021 - 05:33 PM

Buddy i know shot this one yesterday
He is getting it done up
Was going to get a weight on it but i haven't heard that yet
Joes yote https://imgur.com/gallery/onzesJW

Hello friend.
Joey said he called Dnr on his coyote.
The largest coyote brought in/reported in the last 5 years was 47.7 lbs... They said it represents a giant/trophy in this area. While this is considered large, the average is around 31 lbs.
Joey's yote weighed 52.5 lbs.
can i go hunting yet??

#22 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 08:47 AM

Not really related to “town” coyotes... but I was out walking around my wood lot yesterday and came across a fresh coyote kill. We had no snow this winter, and hardly any snow in the woods... my first thought was these buggers must be very persistent to take down a good sized buck when there is no snow to slow a deer down. I was looking over what was left of the carcass when I noticed what caused this deers demise. A very tight coyote snare with about 6 inches of frayed cable attached to it’s back foot. This is a deer that I had many pictures of, and seen many times last fall. Made me sick. Although I can’t prove it ... I’m guessing the snare was set on my property, since the deer was a local for many months. Why aren’t trappers putting deer stops on their snares ??? I am all for getting rid of coyotes ... but if I come across any traps or snares on my property ... they will be disappearing. The actions that poor deer went through to break that cable is unimaginable. No wonder the ‘yotes caught up to him.

Deer stops are required on yote snares , saying that if a deer gets in a yote snare by the leg its very rare and unfortunate , plus yote snare require a break away device less than 185lb breaking strenght , saying this no matter what its like everything in life some just dont care and do what by any means to get the job done , even if its setting illegal snares that dont allow for a deer to break off with out having brake the cable first .

Break away device i use is simple J hook or s hook made of aluminum , allows snare to open up if deer gets in but coyote cant get it to pull apart .

Ill get back ladh for this but dont care, its all about doing whats right and by the book !

Coyote snare loop should only be big enough for coyote , fox or bobcat to get its head into , any bigger and that snare is there to get everything and anything , tagged or not ! I use a 6 ft extension on my swivel to tie off my snares ,thats wrapped around the tree multible times so nothing gets in the extension part , dont need 6 extra ft of wire on the snare itself to allow the snare open up to any size , just lazziness IMHO
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#23 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12682 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 09 March 2021 - 01:45 PM

Been 100 years since I trapped but I would have to tag all my snares so it could be traced back

Does this still apply in Nova Scotia 

No person shall set a trap or snare for a fur-bearing animal
unless it is clearly and permanently marked with that person’s
Wildlife Resources Card number, except traps or snares set
for red squirrels or fur-bearing animals that are trapped as
nuisance wildlife in accordance with the General Wildlife
Regulations made under the Wildlife Act.

#24 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1416 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 09 March 2021 - 03:39 PM

There are no markings or numbers on the snare. I have a good idea whose snare it is, though. If it’s who I’m thinking ... he does not ask permission, and he uses questionable snares and traps. 

#25 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12682 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 09 March 2021 - 04:05 PM

There are no markings or numbers on the snare. I have a good idea whose snare it is, though. If it’s who I’m thinking ... he does not ask permission, and he uses questionable snares and traps. 

Walter would know this stuff I don't any more. But if no ID illegal also as well or it was years ago

So a poacher not a trapper IMO

Cheers

#26 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 06:33 PM

NO ID TAGS WITH THE OLD 4 DIGIT OR THE NEW 9 DIGIT NUMBER ATTACHED VIA A TAG OF METAL , PLASTIC , Etc

Its a illegal snare or trap , doesnt matter if a certified fur harvester set it , ITS ILLEGAL !

Traps and snares MUST have your Resources # attached .

As stated above , but must also be certified Nuisance Wildlife Operator as well

For dealing with that issue
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#27 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12682 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 09 March 2021 - 06:37 PM

Thank you Walter for the clarification. Appreciated

Take care

#28 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1416 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:18 PM

It is quite possible that snare had the appropriate number on it. All that was left of the snare was about 6 inches of frayed cable.... and the lock ??? Not sure what its called. Where would the ID typically be on one of these snares ??

#29 MWO has left

MWO has left

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1595 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 05:50 AM

Most Trappers place the Tag with their WRC # on Snares at the Anchor end of the Snare rather then anywhere near the loop. So if this particular Snare was "broke" off it would not likely have the Tag attached. Deer Stops should be mandatory in NS, however they are not. Snare season ended Feb 28, so the possibility of this snare being set legally is probable. As well Trappers do not need permission to trap Private Property, (forested) so long as legal distances are met, which is much less then  distances for Hunting.(Rifle)  However No Trapping signage must be obeyed, unlike no Hunting Signage has Zero meaning..Yes I am a Licenced Trapper...  

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

#30 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1416 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 10 March 2021 - 06:40 AM

Thanks for the info. I have zero knowledge of trapping. 

#31 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12682 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 10 March 2021 - 12:20 PM

Wasn't me. I was elsewhere jogging!

Small doe Ed. Looked at it this morning

Talked also to a guy that watched two coyotes drive it out of the woods sunday morning around 7.00 am said it was bleeding real bad coming out of the woods and didnot last more than 20 minutes on the ice

Guess next we will be hearing about the fours eagles dying from lead poison from eating it :(

#32 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12682 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 13 March 2021 - 11:25 AM

Daughter came home last night from halifax after dark. Two dead on the side of the road and seen three one in three different spots on her travels

She never sees them normally she says

This morning same place and almost same time I seen one again heading to Ed's over the ice. Sure on the move for the LOVE moon this year

Not even a bone left of that doe in 7 days

Cheers 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users