#2 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1416 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 17 March 2021 - 10:23 AM

We (zone 102) had a phenomenal winter. Only plowed the driveway 3 times all winter, and only one storm with a significant amount.( 30-40 cm). Our deer population is thriving. Deer are in very good shape. I expect a bumper crop of fawns this year. 

#3 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5238 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 17 March 2021 - 10:37 AM

I wintered pretty well myself lol. I weigh 20 lbs more now than I did in the Fall.
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#4 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12682 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 17 March 2021 - 12:31 PM

I wintered pretty well myself lol. I weigh 20 lbs more now than I did in the Fall.

Only 20. I did 70 sad.png for f'k sake

No veggies to pick this fall and no snow to move this winter , no ice for fishing killed me 

Dropped 10 pounds of it so far since I started my diet sad.png

Just seen another four different deer by muddy hole smile.png

#5 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6060 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 17 March 2021 - 06:50 PM

Iā€™m in great shape too,gained about 10 lbs,now my pants fit me again !
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦šŸŒļøā€ā™€ļøšŸŽ±šŸ¦ŒšŸ¤ 

#6 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6060 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 17 March 2021 - 06:51 PM

Seven in the back yard yesterday. The deer here are always in good shape
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦šŸŒļøā€ā™€ļøšŸŽ±šŸ¦ŒšŸ¤ 

#7 682bubba

682bubba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationCape Breton Island NS Canada

Posted 17 March 2021 - 07:34 PM

I'VE SEEN 15 since last thurs out driving around from the bay to mira.

#8 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2789 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 18 March 2021 - 07:16 AM

I have seen a good number of deer here, 5 last evening out for a walk and 6 the previous day all in the fields close by to home.

The deer look to be in good shape as well.

On Monday there was a large Bobcat sitting at the start of a trail behind our house.

It  was there for 10 minutes cleaning itself like cats do.

It was easy to notice and watch because it was only 30 feet from the house.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#9 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9514 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 18 March 2021 - 08:53 AM

YUP !! Everything we've seen looks to be thick and full bodied..still retaining some fat Looks good for them up till now. No big stress periods (least not this way)

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#10 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12682 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 18 March 2021 - 11:58 AM

Yup today I love to see them and in August when they are in the garden eating my yellow beans I will want to kill every f'n one of them angry.png

#11 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1427 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 18 March 2021 - 12:42 PM

Yup today I love to see them and in August when they are in the garden eating my yellow beans I will want to kill every f'n one of them angry.png

I thought there were no deer in CB? :)

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
was when they killed bambi's mother because I knew somwhere the hunters
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

Gotta Love The Nova Scotia Federation of Anti Hunters

#12 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12682 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 18 March 2021 - 12:47 PM

I thought there were no deer in CB? smile.png

There isn't in the woods compared to the past glory days here. 16 in the old pasture this year ( most in years by the way ) vs 80 plus for many many years. Towns and around towns are full of them smile.png however

Guys say lots of deer in CB and I say compared to what when we had almost none left yes in that case true BUT . Guess I am comparing when guys here made a living off guiding deer hunters who would come to the cape from all over canada and the US to hunt. Sure don't see that today sad.png

Honestly very few bucks and tons of does overall. Ratio is screwed beyond

But the herd are being managed by DNR rolleyes.gif so it says it all

Cheers 

#13 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 01:31 PM

I thought there were no deer in CB? :)

Dont know who claims that one ! Lmao , lots in the woods from what weve seen , going for a weekly trip , highest # so far yarded up was 26 , wont say what area from Sydney to Grand River but least we seen at once was 3 most was 26 , thought we spotted a single doe last week , stopped the truck to see 5 more inside tree line looking out at us .

I can go count town deer in certain areas any day ,rather get out our stopping grounds and go find those not being fed to keep em around . So many say they dont but Local CO-op dealer says feed sales are double lasts yrs due to so many bored staying home. Guess the local deer are enjoying it
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#14 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1427 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 18 March 2021 - 02:59 PM

Dont know who claims that one ! Lmao , lots in the woods from what weve seen , going for a weekly trip , highest # so far yarded up was 26 , wont say what area from Sydney to Grand River but least we seen at once was 3 most was 26 , thought we spotted a single doe last week , stopped the truck to see 5 more inside tree line looking out at us .

I can go count town deer in certain areas any day ,rather get out our stopping grounds and go find those not being fed to keep em around . So many say they dont but Local CO-op dealer says feed sales are double lasts yrs due to so many bored staying home. Guess the local deer are enjoying it

LOL most of the commentors on this site say that.

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
was when they killed bambi's mother because I knew somwhere the hunters
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

Gotta Love The Nova Scotia Federation of Anti Hunters

#15 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12682 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 18 March 2021 - 04:43 PM

LOL most of the commentors on this site say that.

Cause we are all real old dry.png and still remember what the cape was likelaugh.png for deer for many years compared to now

To add deer are overall smaller here now

#16 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5238 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 18 March 2021 - 05:07 PM

We were literally tripping over them before coyotes took hold.
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#17 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12682 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 18 March 2021 - 05:11 PM

We were literally tripping over them before coyotes took hold.

Yep agree . sad.png If you didnot get your deer by day three you were drunk in the cabin and never tried and we only had one month, one weapon and no sundays or trail cams

I always booked two weeks vacation for deer season and most years by middle of first week I was off to PEI goose hunting ( the priority :) )

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users