Watching From The Sidelines Of A Turkey Hunt - Gone Hunting - Nova Scotia Hunting

Photo

Watching From The Sidelines Of A Turkey Hunt

Turkey hunt in Nova Scotia

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Steaknonions

Steaknonions

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 11:23 AM

I just read the announcement that New Brunswick will open applications in April for a May hunt this spring for turkeys. The announcement was made by minister Mike Holland. New Brunswick started their move to have birds released approximately 15 years ago Nova Scotia started in 2000 and we wait for our government to make a move. Read minister Holland’s full release as he describes the financial benefit his province will see as we look over the fence. If only we had some one in government that would be willing to make a positive call and give some of us a bit of light in these times.

#2 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12682 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 30 March 2021 - 11:50 AM

Wonder if it will still be 400 tags like 2020 which covid put on hold

The fun has begun already sad.png

https://www.peta.org...ed-turkey-hunt/

Also it is not the government the problem here In Nova Scoitia this is

There is a significant number of organizations are opposed to the proposal(s) In dealing with the introduction of wild turkey

Many like to blame the government for everything but if we want to blame someone start here in this case not the government

During the review process, six groups in NS formally opposed the introduction of wild turkeys: -

Tusket River Environmental Association

- Nova Scotia Fruit Growers Association

- Nova Scotia Egg Producers -

Federation of Nova Scotia Naturalists

- Annapolis County Federation of Agriculture

- Nova Scotia Bird Society

#3 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 12:50 PM

You think the Nova Scotia Bird Society would be on board , Being a Society dedicated to birds is counter productive to ones agenda . Saying that it would ad a species to their list of ones to watch and flourish as well help with the black legged tick problem we have in this province.

Anyways its the Negative Nellies that ruin this province and keep it in a backwards state .

I'll be in New Brunswick end next month till mid May on my Non Resident Bear Hunt , place we set up last yr had several sightings of Turkeys , hoping to get some photos at least from the bear stations . I for one wont sit idle if and when a opportunity presents itself for now the turkey season is for N.B. Residents only and MUST take wild turkey hunting course ???? Geez another cash grab .

None the less hunters like myself who leave the province to hunt elsewhere due to not being able to obtain those same adventures in their home province is money not spent here , must be nice to turn heads on those types licences , fees , taxes and money spent in local stores and so on , all due to a few who are opposed , the minorities rule this province .
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#4 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12682 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 30 March 2021 - 12:58 PM

When I first hunted them in Ontario at my brothers there was no course and then they made it mandatory to take a course and then in 2017 they dropped it again so maybe that may happen in NB down the road .Like you say cash grab but it did keep some guys in Ontario from hunting turkey

Cheers

#5 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1427 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 30 March 2021 - 02:47 PM

NB is kind of in a different situation than NS.  They have birds coming over the border and establishing a population there. NS is trying to go down the path of introduction when no population exists.  Good luck with that.

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
was when they killed bambi's mother because I knew somwhere the hunters
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

Gotta Love The Nova Scotia Federation of Anti Hunters

#6 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 03:52 PM

NB is kind of in a different situation than NS. They have birds coming over the border and establishing a population there. NS is trying to go down the path of introduction when no population exists. Good luck with that.

There are reports and evidence of people trying also bolster the population thru introduction , now saying that , most those birds will not live past winter , if someone was actually have captive wild brood stock not genetically crossed with farm raised or farm brood stock , those birds would have better chance of survival and of establish a population in that area .

That actually took place here on the cape yrs back , that population was wiped out very quickly thru DNR and those assisting , guy who brought in American Brood stock and released Illegally was charged and his operation raided and shut down very quickly .
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#7 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12682 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 30 March 2021 - 07:00 PM

The migration from NB is well under way. I may not live long enough to see a hunt in NS but it will happen some day. Thanks to the turkeys doing it on their own

Wish they would walk fastertongue.png

Seem to recall Kevin seen some also one time here

#8 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2549 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 31 March 2021 - 04:21 AM

was looking for info on fish habitat work - came across an article on wild turkey.........

https://www.nsfah.ca...ce16b44094b.pdf

#9 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2789 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 31 March 2021 - 08:01 AM

Thanks for posting Gary, I sat here this morning and read all of it.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#10 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2549 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 31 March 2021 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for posting Gary, I sat here this morning and read all of it.

LOL - I read the whole thing too, when I found it. Miss those local articles/mags/papers.

#11 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1427 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 31 March 2021 - 10:21 AM

LOL the old NSFAH, are they even a thing anymore? I see that arsehole Tony Rodgers was the Executive Director then.

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
was when they killed bambi's mother because I knew somwhere the hunters
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

Gotta Love The Nova Scotia Federation of Anti Hunters

#12 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1416 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 31 March 2021 - 02:08 PM

There is a fairly decent population of turkeys in NS. They are in pockets ... and I’m sure they are from “released” birds. When you have free range eastern wild turkeys (domesticated) ... they often leave the property to nest. Sometimes they will bring the brood back ... sometimes they won’t. Even though, these were domesticated to begin with, the offspring are essentially “wild”.  I have seen a number of turkeys between Keji park and Annapolis Royal, and not a house for miles. These birds do very well in the wild, and winter seems to have no affect on them. 

#13 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12682 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 31 March 2021 - 02:13 PM

There is a fairly decent population of turkeys in NS. They are in pockets ... and I’m sure they are from “released” birds. When you have free range eastern wild turkeys (domesticated) ... they often leave the property to nest. Sometimes they will bring the brood back ... sometimes they won’t. Even though, these were domesticated to begin with, the offspring are essentially “wild”.  I have seen a number of turkeys between Keji park and Annapolis Royal, and not a house for miles. These birds do very well in the wild, and winter seems to have no affect on them. 

Agree, have seen them in the park also and that was a few years back when I was hanging in Caledonia I think it was called or maybe Kempt ?? with one of my buds who was also into old cars

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users