14 replies to this topic

#1 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 07:07 PM

OK,Need your guys help, looking to get a range bag to carry my gear to the range. Right now I'm using a Plano 2 gun case with the egg crate foam for my guns. I like to take at least 2 when I go. In the other is a Canadian Tire plastic black tool box for my ear muffs, ammo, magazines,lead remover hand soap and a few other whatnots. What I'm trying to find is a one box does all, looking at them on Amazon, either too big,,too small, too cheap,,too expensive, any ideas from you guys would be good,like what do you  have? I want something that holds its shape when empty or full, not nylon shell or floppy stuff.

Any ideas would be appreciated...

#2 labradort

labradort

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 31 March 2021 - 08:33 PM

Have you looked at actual "range bags"?  Also, tool bags at hardware stores might have something.  Hard case boxes are hard on the stuff inside because it's always hard walls hitting hard objects and they can't adapt their shape to something else stuffed inside.  Given this sport, you need to spend a bit to get something of quality dedicated to the task that will last years.  Personally I like to carry something that doesn't scream "5.11 tactical" when I leave my house, so something looking like another purpose: tools, gym, hiking - is the sort of thing I prefer.

#3 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2013 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 01 April 2021 - 12:09 AM

I use a molded plastic tool box. It has small drawers on the front and in the lid. It holds 2pr ear protection, ammo for 3 guns, several snakes and targets along with paper targets. Its the right height for use as a rest too with a notch length wise on the top.
I got it on sale at Canadian Tire for under $20 years ago. It has 2 heavy clasps to hold the top secure and can be locked
can i go hunting yet??

#4 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1427 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 01 April 2021 - 06:02 AM

I am really starting to get away from hard cases for guns unless it's for pistols and need to be locked.  They aren't getting tossed around on a plane not worth it to me to be hauling around the extra weight and bulkiness.  I am literally going from my house to car.  For a range bag I use an actual range bag.  Like this, look for it to go on sale https://www.cabelas....range-ready-bag , holds muffs, mags, staple gun, targets, small adjustment tools and some ammo (depending how much you are shooting).  5.11 is plastered all over it just looks like a black bag.

cheers,

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
was when they killed bambi's mother because I knew somwhere the hunters
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

Gotta Love The Nova Scotia Federation of Anti Hunters

#5 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 06:26 AM

Have you looked at actual "range bags"?  Also, tool bags at hardware stores might have something.  Hard case boxes are hard on the stuff inside because it's always hard walls hitting hard objects and they can't adapt their shape to something else stuffed inside.  Given this sport, you need to spend a bit to get something of quality dedicated to the task that will last years.  Personally I like to carry something that doesn't scream "5.11 tactical" when I leave my house, so something looking like another purpose: tools, gym, hiking - is the sort of thing I prefer.

I'm looking at one on E-Bay 22"x12"x10" Tan, lots of pockets, plenty big for what I want. My main concern is that I can carry all in one bag, not two different containers. This bag looks like it might be what I'm looking for. all good reveiws, so I'm leaning towards that for now, I'll probably change my mine later on,,,lol

#6 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 06:34 AM

I was in Canadian Tire yesterday looking at some of their tool boxes and there was a couple there that was appealing to me. one was a hard shell,double fastener with double lock ability as well. thinking that a person could really do it the way you wanted with a bit of foam to line the inside and also partition off some handgun slots, might go back and look again. Foam Comfort in Burnside could cut out exactly what you would need and design to taylor fit your needs.

#7 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9514 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 01 April 2021 - 08:15 AM

I use a soft sided "range bag"....20" L x 14" W x 14" H...has a couple of dividers...holds my targets...tools, glasses, and lots of misc gear. 

Alan...look at the MTM Range Box.

I also have one of those here at the house I keep ALL my tools for every gun / rifle / scope job I do. Top half locks on to the bottom half. and has a lot of dividers and a couple of lift out trays for small parts, etc....also has a set of gun holders that lock into the ends they hold your rifle for scope mounting..bore scrubbing...whatever you need

https://www.bing.com...box&FORM=IRPRST

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#8 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 08:35 AM

I use a soft sided "range bag"....20" L x 14" W x 14" H...has a couple of dividers...holds my targets...tools, glasses, and lots of misc gear. 

Alan...look at the MTM Range Box.

I also have one of those here at the house I keep ALL my tools for every gun / rifle / scope job I do. Top half locks on to the bottom half. and has a lot of dividers and a couple of lift out trays for small parts, etc....also has a set of gun holders that lock into the ends they hold your rifle for scope mounting..bore scrubbing...whatever you need

https://www.bing.com...box&FORM=IRPRST

Kevin,in your soft sided bag can you fit 2 handguns in it plus your other stuff?

Your MTM box is great for your long guns but I just want to take my handguns back and forth to the range,I don't like carrying 2 hardshell cases up the long flight of stairs,,,lol age combined with weak knees,,lol,,, like to hold on the railing both going up and down.Wife said I can use one of her WalMart cloth bags,,%@#@*

#9 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6060 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 01 April 2021 - 11:57 AM

I have a hard case for my hgs which will hold four hgs. For my other gear I just use a dewalt circular saw bag.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#10 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 12:30 PM

Yea, that's basicly what I have, just wanting to put everything in one bag,so much easier to carry. I have to walk up a long stairway to the range, makes it so much easier and safer if I can carry it all in one hand and grab hold of the railing in the other. When I reach the top my knees are feeling it.

#11 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9514 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 01:06 PM

Kevin,in your soft sided bag can you fit 2 handguns in it plus your other stuff?

Your MTM box is great for your long guns but I just want to take my handguns back and forth to the range,I don't like carrying 2 hardshell cases up the long flight of stairs,,,lol age combined with weak knees,,lol,,, like to hold on the railing both going up and down.Wife said I can use one of her WalMart cloth bags,,%@#@*

yes...easily Alan

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#12 caperaway

caperaway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 04 April 2021 - 12:58 PM

I bought a Husky tool bag from home depot when I first got into pistols many years ago. It has a divider down the center with pockets that fit mags perfectly. I can put about 20 mags in there and 3-4 pistols in pistol rugs and a bunch of ammo. The zipper is lockable so I lock it there and it meets the definition of a locked opague case. Outside pockets hold various tools etc and a pair of muffs are clipped on the handles. Looks like a bag of tools to the general public. It has been thrown around for alot of years now and it still is in great shape. Way stronger construction than most "range bags" that I see advertised. I have had family gift me range bags over the years but I find the soft bags too ackward for the weight thats usually involved.

#13 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9514 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 04:00 PM

^^^^^ That's my shotgun range bag...

#14 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 05:32 AM

I bought a Eddie Baurer bag, 22x10x12. has a compartment on both ends 10x12x2, hold two guns, plus the centre compartment, made from a canvas type material, well made.should serve me for what I'm looking for.

#15 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9514 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 07:15 AM

good stuff !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users