71 replies to this topic

#1 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3678 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 07:42 AM

Land, homes selling $100,000's over asking prices. Competitive bids, all out of province, or country willing to pay. Going to impact some's hunting spots for sure this year. I had five lots near me that were two acre lots that were listed for $22,000. They were listed for over five years, no offers. Someone from Ontario came in and bought them all. This then led to someone listing a two acre lot for $47,000, which I thought was crazy, sold within a week, then two acres for $57,000, sold within a week, then $67,000, sold. Every piece of land is being sold to out of province, or country. Viewpoint.ca now lists all those that are enquiring from out of province and country and it is shocking to see the numbers. Unfortunately it will drive the tax rates through the roof.

#2 David G

David G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationSalmon River, Digby county

Posted 19 April 2021 - 11:23 AM

Thunderstick, The same thing is going on in Digby county. An acquaintance had a small bungalow for sale for several years, finally last year it sold for $100,000. The new owner just sold it for  $175,000. I have a brother-in-law that's a realtor and he can't believe what people are buying. Cottages are selling like hotcakes at double what you would expect and they're gone the minute you put them on the market. 

I feel bad for young couples looking to buy their first home. Outsiders are taking over the market paying prices that locals would never be able to match. 

#3 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12988 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 19 April 2021 - 12:04 PM

They are actually knocking on peoples doors here asking if they want to sell that they have a buyer . Crazy money is being offered to some

My bud was offered 200,000 more that he would have wanted to sell for if he was selling. Mind you it cost him 375 to build it 3 years ago and best of everything with lots of land

Cheers

#4 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 19 April 2021 - 12:09 PM

100k over asking is the norm in the city now.

Gotta Love The Nova Scotia Federation of Anti Hunters

#5 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2803 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 19 April 2021 - 03:49 PM

Hmmm... maybe I should sell off some land, might be the best time.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#6 682bubba

682bubba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationCape Breton Island NS Canada

Posted 19 April 2021 - 05:49 PM

All its goin to do is ruin things for our kids when they wanna buy a house cause its goin to be to expensive just like in BC.Great short term gain but down the road our kids will be living in a van at the end of the road lol...

#7 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12988 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 19 April 2021 - 06:03 PM

All its goin to do is ruin things for our kids when they wanna buy a house cause its goin to be to expensive just like in BC.Great short term gain but down the road our kids will be living in a van at the end of the road lol...

No they won't they will be living with mom and dad like they are now until at least 40 years old

#8 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3678 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 07:30 PM

Its already started, they cannot afford a house now.

#9 Tombraider

Tombraider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationLower Sackville

Posted 19 April 2021 - 09:27 PM

Well if the cost of housing and living in general is going up, maybe people in this province better start demanding higher wages in order to keep up ;otherwise us locals cannot compete with other people coming into our province .It just sucks for us who have been dealt the regional desparity card  for years, and now what??

P.E.T.A.- PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS

#10 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:37 AM

The chickens will come home to roost sooner or later, the massive printing going on, inflation is huge we just don't all realize it yet, Canada has the highest real-estate costs in the world now, they purposely don't want to cool the markets because our real estate is tied directly to our GDP, it's a massive scheme, there was a reason there was nothing in the budget to help this market.

#11 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12988 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 20 April 2021 - 06:45 AM

Its already started, they cannot afford a house now.

Not just now been a lot of years since kids bought their first house at the age we did

Cheers

#12 hityad

hityad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 20 April 2021 - 10:18 AM

Very upsetting for for someone like myself who stayed in NS after University so that I can get a house, horrible job market combined with crazy high rentals and overbidding for housing market, this can backfire easily.  Calgary, AB or AB in general hasn't seen a crazy real-estate boom yet, with low taxes  and more job opportunities, even though oil is down still way better than NS's job market, I am waiting for this pandemic thing to be done with so I can start looking for work there and move. 

#13 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 20 April 2021 - 12:06 PM

Very upsetting for for someone like myself who stayed in NS after University so that I can get a house, horrible job market combined with crazy high rentals and overbidding for housing market, this can backfire easily.  Calgary, AB or AB in general hasn't seen a crazy real-estate boom yet, with low taxes  and more job opportunities, even though oil is down still way better than NS's job market, I am waiting for this pandemic thing to be done with so I can start looking for work there and move. 

What industry you in?

I actually have friends who are moving back to NS from Calgary because things aren't as great out there as they once were.

#14 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12988 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 20 April 2021 - 02:30 PM

No but they have had crazy home prices for years

Two different friends moved back to retire in the last two years both when out to Alberta in the early 80's and both sold their homes out there before the virus stuff one for 850K and one for a cool million and IMO they were nothing fancy mind you both were survivors of the fire which may have drove the price up I don't know

Homes equal to or more than what they had prior  bought here for under 300K to replace them they said

Plus they have enough land now that they don't have to park their cars in the garage vs a drive way and don't have to listen to the neighbor snore when they both have their upstairs windows open sad.png from being built so close together

Cheers

#15 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12988 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 20 April 2021 - 02:31 PM

What industry you in?

I actually have friends who are moving back to NS from Calgary because things aren't as great out there as they once were.

Agree. Guys coming back I have not seen since high school for that reason

Cheers

#16 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6129 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:21 PM

Well guys welcome to the NEW AGE NS. Although our province may be behind the times in many ways our real estate is starting to come on line with the rest of the country. About six months after buying our house I started asking myself and my wife ( and still do ask ) if we really belong here in this subdivisions. You see I look out the window and see two Audi’s in one driveway (firefighter and accountant) a Benz and a Lexus in another ( HPD and real estate agent) and down the street two benz’s and a new F-150, ( radiologist and RN ) etc,etc,and here we have what,a ten yr old Camry and a Tacoma, ( retired mechanic and estatician )
We paid $360,000 for this place about 15 yrs ago, it’s now worth about $675,000. So I say yip yip yip eeeee! And let the market continue to rise! Hey I paid 56;000 for my first house back in 84, after the divorce it was worth $280,000. ( ex bought me out).
So when you think about it our kids and grandkids make a lot more then we did back then and we all managed to buy a house and so will they.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#17 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12988 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:24 PM

Good to hear from you 3D. Golfing start yet ?? Going to be real nice tomorrow they say

Take care

#18 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6129 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:29 PM

Don’t know what line of work your in but salary and wages here are pretty good
RN 80-90
Radiologist 450,000+
anasthesiologist-$350,000+
Take a look at the sunshine list, I couldn’t find the one for 2020 but did find 2019
and guess what - full of cops and firefighters! So there ya go $100,000 plus a yr, and that’s without a university degree!
I do know that four Metro Transit mechanics made the sunshine list for 2020!
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#19 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6129 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:32 PM

Good to hear from you 3D. Golfing start yet ?? Going to be real nice tomorrow they say
 Take care

Still fishing plus busy with lawn and garden buisness!
I usually don’t start golf until late May, have to get my fishing in before I start golfing!

#20 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12988 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:46 PM

Still fishing plus busy with lawn and garden buisness!
I usually don’t start golf until late May, have to get my fishing in before I start golfing!

Understand 

take care 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users