#61 caperaway

caperaway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 26 April 2021 - 09:52 AM

If you live in NS it's harder than anywhere else pretty much. They raised the price to almost a grand about 25 years ago to discourage people from trying it and at the time they only wrote the tests twice a year on the Cape. At the same time in Toronto it was around $100 and they wrote weekly and you could bring your own  interpreter if you didn't speak english.

I worked in Toronto in the early 2000's and saw some sketchy crap. Many times the "interpreter" was already a red seal tradesman in the trade they were helping the guy write the test for. In immigrant could get a license in a couple weeks in Ontario with no actual knowledge of the work. All that was needed was a letter,on company letterhead, saying you had completed the necessary hours,something you could print up at home, and take your red seal "interpreter" in to write the test. Next week you got a license in the mail. The week after they had their own business and could speak english just fine. Guys that didn't know jack about wrenching were out running mobile service trucks around the huge trailer yards pulling wheels and doing cvips with no clue what they were even looking at.

I was sent to cvip a trailer one day and the frame was broke on both sides just behind the 5th wheel plate. Trailer was supposed to head to Texas at noon,big rush. Called the office to tell them it was hooped and went to do another one that was on my list in the same yard. While I'm working on it I watch another service van pull up to the original trailer and the east Indian guy gets out and slaps a cvip sticker on the trailer without even looking at it. 

I called the office and lost it at the guy who dispatched the second truck. I was still in the yard when the tractor showed up to grab the trailer and I told the driver the frame was broke. Turned into a big sh*t show. Dispatchers were taking kickbacks from the independent service trucks to feed them gravy work like cvips. Usually they didn't even look at the units,slap a sticker on and send a thousand dollar bill saying they did such and such. Big companies didn't verify the work they just paid the bills. My company had 25k trailers in the GTA alone, over 100k in North America.

#62 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12988 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 26 April 2021 - 12:29 PM

If you live in NS it's harder than anywhere else pretty much. They raised the price to almost a grand about 25 years ago to discourage people from trying it and at the time they only wrote the tests twice a year on the Cape. At the same time in Toronto it was around $100 and they wrote weekly and you could bring your own  interpreter if you didn't speak english.

I worked in Toronto in the early 2000's and saw some sketchy crap. Many times the "interpreter" was already a red seal tradesman in the trade they were helping the guy write the test for. In immigrant could get a license in a couple weeks in Ontario with no actual knowledge of the work. All that was needed was a letter,on company letterhead, saying you had completed the necessary hours,something you could print up at home, and take your red seal "interpreter" in to write the test. Next week you got a license in the mail. The week after they had their own business and could speak english just fine. Guys that didn't know jack about wrenching were out running mobile service trucks around the huge trailer yards pulling wheels and doing cvips with no clue what they were even looking at.

I was sent to cvip a trailer one day and the frame was broke on both sides just behind the 5th wheel plate. Trailer was supposed to head to Texas at noon,big rush. Called the office to tell them it was hooped and went to do another one that was on my list in the same yard. While I'm working on it I watch another service van pull up to the original trailer and the east Indian guy gets out and slaps a cvip sticker on the trailer without even looking at it. 

I called the office and lost it at the guy who dispatched the second truck. I was still in the yard when the tractor showed up to grab the trailer and I told the driver the frame was broke. Turned into a big sh*t show. Dispatchers were taking kickbacks from the independent service trucks to feed them gravy work like cvips. Usually they didn't even look at the units,slap a sticker on and send a thousand dollar bill saying they did such and such. Big companies didn't verify the work they just paid the bills. My company had 25k trailers in the GTA alone, over 100k in North America.

Understand. Thanks for the info

I always figured we got some sweet heart deal at devco especially when the announcement came they were closing the mines and everyone was losing their jobs

They wanted us to write everything we could at no cost but I assume the government which was devco paid the fees since I never did

Cheers

#63 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6129 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 26 April 2021 - 06:57 PM

Sweet Jesus time to straighten you fellas out
I’m way smarter then both you combined I got red seals and blue seals and a green seal
I’m the best at everything including engineering and mining and mechanics and everything else
I’m the Great White Hunter
The whatever they call the top fisherman
FFS I KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT EVERYTHING !!!
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈπŸŽ±πŸ¦ŒπŸ€ 

#64 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6129 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 26 April 2021 - 07:02 PM

AND IMTHE BEST ATSPELLING ANDENGLISH ANDGRAMMER PLUS
IMA HOOKT ON FONIX CAUZE FONIX IS HOOKT ON ME !
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈπŸŽ±πŸ¦ŒπŸ€ 

#65 30-06

30-06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 07:24 PM

Lmao

#66 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12988 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 27 April 2021 - 06:27 AM

Sweet Jesus time to straighten you fellas out
I’m way smarter then both you combined I got red seals and blue seals and a green seal
I’m the best at everything including engineering and mining and mechanics and everything else
I’m the Great White Hunter
The whatever they call the top fisherman
FFS I KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT EVERYTHING !!!

All joking aside 3D 99% of the guys that post here are very smart, qualified  and capable all one has to do is see some of their pics and read some of their posts of what they are into

Drop dead gorgeous camps they built etc etc. Dam we even have smart lever guys which is rarelaugh.png laugh.png and guys that predict the weather bang on with pigs smile.png

Not much one can need help with here that someone cannot assist with 

On the know everything F'k I did not know wally had another twin laugh.png  

Agree about you wacko.png but you are like one in a million smile.png and all one has to do is read three of your posts of what guns you saved and how you set up your pension and how you educated your kids  to know you are not a stupid man far from it 3D and yes that is a compliment from me smile.png

In the big picture IMHO it all means nothing the degrees and education as one will see after they have serious health issues or as they age

I hate to even say I have another bud but I do that is a self made millionaire a few times over with grade 9 education so like they say smart is not something one can teach

His line is I will sleep when I die

To this day I remember him walking out of class saying he quit and the session the teacher gave us after where is was going to end up nope it was not welfare

Wish that teacher was alive today to see how wrong he was

AS one wise man said success in life is directly linked to the time and effort you make

And to me now what is success not money, or where I reached on that career path ladder, or what I have done,  nope watching and helping my family grow and  live comfortably and happy is what I strive for cause really nothing else means **** in life IMHO

Take care

#67 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6129 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 27 April 2021 - 05:39 PM

All joking aside 3D 99% of the guys that post here are very smart, qualified  and capable all one has to do is see some of their pics and read some of their posts of what they are into
Drop dead gorgeous camps they built etc etc. Dam we even have smart lever guys which is rare:lol: :lol: and guys that predict the weather bang on with pigs :)
Not much one can need help with here that someone cannot assist with 

On the know everything F'k I did not know wally had another twin :lol:  
Agree about you :wacko: but you are like one in a million :) and all one has to do is read three of your posts of what guns you saved and how you set up your pension and how you educated your kids  to know you are not a stupid man far from it 3D and yes that is a compliment from me :)

In the big picture IMHO it all means nothing the degrees and education as one will see after they have serious health issues or as they age
I hate to even say I have another bud but I do that is a self made millionaire a few times over with grade 9 education so like they say smart is not something one can teach
His line is I will sleep when I die
To this day I remember him walking out of class saying he quit and the session the teacher gave us after where is was going to end up nope it was not welfare
Wish that teacher was alive today to see how wrong he was

AS one wise man said success in life is directly linked to the time and effort you make

And to me now what is success not money, or where I reached on that career path ladder, or what I have done,  nope watching and helping my family grow and  live comfortably and happy is what I strive for cause really nothing else means **** in life IMHO
 Take care

Reading that one paragraph makes me woder what you want from me ! LOL anyone else reading it will wonder how much I paid you to say it!

To me success is measured by ones self what others think really doesn’t matter

#68 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6129 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 27 April 2021 - 05:41 PM

Education does not make anyone smart it simply makes them educated.
Smart comes with having good common sense and applying it as required

#69 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12988 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 27 April 2021 - 05:42 PM

Education does not make anyone smart it simply makes them educated.
Smart comes with having good common sense and applying it as required

Agree 100% and one is born with it

Cheers

#70 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12988 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 27 April 2021 - 05:45 PM

Reading that one paragraph makes me woder what you want from me ! LOL anyone else reading it will wonder how much I paid you to say it!

To me success is measured by ones self what others think really doesn’t matter

Not a thing just stating fact. Yes we love to tease each other here but in the end I have a lot of respect for you and know you are top notch not to mention how good you are to your family which to me is the most important 

take care

#71 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6129 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 27 April 2021 - 05:50 PM

Had to laugh today because a friend I went to school with called and asked me to come look at his chainsaw that wouldn’t start. AND he is actually an engineer! So I went over and checked it out, nope would not start like all gas operated tools and equipment you have to put gas in it! Poor guy turned 13 shades of red! It reminded me of this thread. As I said above common sense beats education hands down!!!

#72 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6129 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 27 April 2021 - 05:57 PM

Not a thing just stating fact. Yes we love to tease each other here but in the end I have a lot of respect for you and know you are top notch not to mention how good you are to your family which to me is the most important 
take care

So I don’t owe you anything! AWESOME
I have a lot of respect for everyone on here (yes you too ghost ) I try not to judge people until I meet them and get to know them.
Of course politicians are an exception especially liberals!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users