14 replies to this topic

#1 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3678 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 11:06 AM

So last year leaving my stand I positioned my muzzle loader on the rail to get turned around. The movement caused the muzzle loader to slide and over the side it went. I was lucky to catch part of the sling before it went to the ground but the scope contacted the stand. No marks but I tested it and it was now off. I installed another older one I had home but wonder if the Bushnell that was on it would still be useable. Is it normal for a scope to take impact knocking it out of adjustment, and then be readjusted to hold zero?, or are they mostly done?

#2 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12988 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 27 April 2021 - 11:38 AM

So last year leaving my stand I positioned my muzzle loader on the rail to get turned around. The movement caused the muzzle loader to slide and over the side it went. I was lucky to catch part of the sling before it went to the ground but the scope contacted the stand. No marks but I tested it and it was now off. I installed another older one I had home but wonder if the Bushnell that was on it would still be useable. Is it normal for a scope to take impact knocking it out of adjustment, and then be readjusted to hold zero?, or are they mostly done?

Not done until you try it again on something. Most good ones will take quite a wack I have found before the internals are damaged. No marks doesn't sound like it took a real hard hit

Worth remounting on something else and trying again IMO 

Cheers

#3 Caper391

Caper391

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationGlace Bay

Posted 27 April 2021 - 12:09 PM

I did almost the same with my 308. I checked it and sure enough it was off. I re-zeroed it and it's been fine ever since.

I would remount it and give it a try...it's probably fine.

#4 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5260 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 27 April 2021 - 12:10 PM

I've knocked them off zero and had to dial em back in more times than I care to admit. Yes, I'm that clumsy lol. Most people's idea of a successful season is filling a tag. Mine is getting through it without going "arse over kettle"!
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#5 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3678 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 01:03 PM

I've knocked them off zero and had to dial em back in more times than I care to admit. Yes, I'm that clumsy lol. Most people's idea of a successful season is filling a tag. Mine is getting through it without going "arse over kettle"!

I think it gets worse the older one gets.

#6 caperaway

caperaway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 27 April 2021 - 01:07 PM

Rezero it then dial it up eight clicks and fire a shot, then dial right eight clicks and fire a shot, dial down 8 and fire then dial left 8 and fire a shot. The last shot should be where you started. It's a box test to make sure everything is functioning properly. You should have a square of shots about 2"  between each one if done at 100 yrds. Depending on the quality of the scope it could be dead on 2" or they could be off a bit. If it's not even close I would have concerns about its reliability.

#7 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3678 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 01:10 PM

Not done until you try it again on something. Most good ones will take quite a wack I have found before the internals are damaged. No marks doesn't sound like it took a real hard hit

Worth remounting on something else and trying again IMO 

Cheers

Thinking of putting it back on the muzzle loader. The scope rings on the muzzle loader are so close together it takes a scope that is a certain length and this one had the square housing for the adjustment turrets. The bell scopes will not work.

#8 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12988 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 27 April 2021 - 01:13 PM

Thinking of putting it back on the muzzle loader. The scope rings on the muzzle loader are so close together it takes a scope that is a certain length and this one had the square housing for the adjustment turrets. The bell scopes will not work.

I would. Are the rings lapped  

Do you have enough blue loctite in stock for that big joblaugh.png laugh.png a quart should do

#9 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3678 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 05:31 PM

I would. Are the rings lapped  

Do you have enough blue loctite in stock for that big joblaugh.png laugh.png a quart should do

I don't lap the rings, I just lather the blue stuff all over them until it squishes out the sides. My range day has now been cancelled. Back to the woods to finish off my fire wood extraction and maybe a new deer plot with no range time. The local co-op brought in some special deer seed for me to try. Taking the pup over night to the cabin this week. He has spotted the stuffed bear and is not just sure what to think.

#10 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12988 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 27 April 2021 - 05:35 PM

I don't lap the rings, I just lather the blue stuff all over them until it squishes out the sides. My range day has now been cancelled. Back to the woods to finish off my fire wood extraction and maybe a new deer plot with no range time. The local co-op brought in some special deer seed for me to try. Taking the pup over night to the cabin this week. He has spotted the stuffed bear and is not just sure what to think.

Only reason I asked if not sometimes it doesn't take much of a bump if not lapped to see what you are

My guess is that scope is fine

The pup will love it  and in a few weeks he will be able to eat a live bear the way he is growing

take care and don't work too hard

#11 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9601 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 28 April 2021 - 06:19 AM

TS..IMHO It'll be fine.

Most scopes are pretty resilient to hard knocks. Like Nomad...I've had my share of "oops chit" moments too. But that comes with territory of doing a lot of hunting/walking in ALL kinds of weather. I put a 1/2 inch dent in the objective bell of a Bushnell Scopechief scope many ...many moons ago. Re-zeroed it and it stayed on that very same Sako 7mmRM rifle for another 7 or 8 yrs !! Never an issue with fogging or holding zero.

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#12 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3678 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 07:55 AM

TS..IMHO It'll be fine.

Most scopes are pretty resilient to hard knocks. Like Nomad...I've had my share of "oops chit" moments too. But that comes with territory of doing a lot of hunting/walking in ALL kinds of weather. I put a 1/2 inch dent in the objective bell of a Bushnell Scopechief scope many ...many moons ago. Re-zeroed it and it stayed on that very same Sako 7mmRM rifle for another 7 or 8 yrs !! Never an issue with fogging or holding zero.

I was going to take the one I have on the muzzle loader off yesterday and put the the one in question back on for the range but that went south quickly with no ranges. I re zeroed it in the mirror, things seem to adjust as normal.

#13 45-70

45-70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationMilford

Posted 30 April 2021 - 05:01 AM

If it is a Liberal scope it should zero it self lol. Should be able to go all the way on x an back to it's tru center and on y then re sight and see if any problems.

#14 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12988 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 30 April 2021 - 04:38 PM

If it is a Liberal scope it should zero it self lol. Should be able to go all the way on x an back to it's tru center and on y then re sight and see if any problems.

My old pal Thunderstick would never let trash like that even touch one of his leverswacko.png

#15 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9601 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 01 May 2021 - 09:09 AM

tongue.pngtongue.png

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users