27 replies to this topic

#1 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 12:10 PM

Ordered a bolt release from Brownell's March 14th and It came to Mississauga and was there for over a month in Customs. I checked the tracking everyday and there was no movement. kind of gave up, was told by other guy's at the gun range that they weren't allowed to ship any kind of gun parts across the border. I thought that Brownell's should of heard something about that if it were true. Checked my tracking # this morning to start my day off in an uproar and it said  "Out for Delivery" WTF No I said, that must be Vesey's seeds went out to check after the mail came and there was a box just able to get in the mail box, why such a big box I can't tell you, I don't know, Inside was this tiny little bolt release, fit perfect, All good,,,

#2 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 27 April 2021 - 12:46 PM

Ordered a bolt release from Brownell's March 14th and It came to Mississauga and was there for over a month in Customs. I checked the tracking everyday and there was no movement. kind of gave up, was told by other guy's at the gun range that they weren't allowed to ship any kind of gun parts across the border. I thought that Brownell's should of heard something about that if it were true. Checked my tracking # this morning to start my day off in an uproar and it said  "Out for Delivery" WTF No I said, that must be Vesey's seeds went out to check after the mail came and there was a box just able to get in the mail box, why such a big box I can't tell you, I don't know, Inside was this tiny little bolt release, fitted perfect, All good,,,

Bolt release for what?

Gotta Love The Nova Scotia Federation of Anti Hunters

#3 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12988 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 27 April 2021 - 01:02 PM

Only bolt release I know of was for my AR 15 and that is banned now

Agree for WHAT

#4 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 27 April 2021 - 01:04 PM

could be for a 10/22 but I would just give it the old dremel job

Gotta Love The Nova Scotia Federation of Anti Hunters

#5 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 02:23 PM

Ruger MK11

#6 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2370 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 27 April 2021 - 04:58 PM

Ruger MK11

If the bill of laiden mentioned ruger .I am sure there would be a number of check to be sure it was not a part for a prohibited firearm . 

#7 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12988 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 27 April 2021 - 05:02 PM

If the bill of laiden mentioned ruger .I am sure there would be a number of check to be sure it was not a part for a prohibited firearm . 

Yep a few cases on nutz now where they canada customs take the parts and send a nice letter sad.png Mostly AR-15 items so far were mentioned but all would be the same if now prohibited as you say

Cheers

#8 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 05:27 PM

Brownells told me that they are aware of what they can ship over the border and what they can't. If for some reason that it changed in mid stream they would return it to them and Brownell's would credit back to my C/C. They (Brownell's) would never even try to ship across the border if knowingly it was an illegal item. So with that note I got my part, fits good, going to take her to Truro tomorrow and see if it works good, sure it will

#9 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12988 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 27 April 2021 - 05:59 PM

That is interesting since most of the cases are from Brownells . Here is one

Items Seized by CBSA

In Mid April 2020 I placed an order for few items from Brownells.

1. Hogue AR-15 grip
  2. Sinclair AR-15 cleaning link (to hold the gun open when cleaning)
  3. Strike Industries AR-15 forward assist
  4. Troy Open sights

I just got my shipment today and 3 of the 4 items were seized by CBSA.

The grip, forward assist and cleaning link.

The letter indicates that my order contains "various AR15 parts" and the goods
are classified under tariff item 9898.00.00 and is prohibited against importation
based on section 136(1) of the Customs tariff.

Did a bit of investigating and I can't see what I did wrong.

Basically section 136(1) says whatever is in 9898.00.00 is prohibited.

#10 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9601 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 28 April 2021 - 06:42 AM

Most companies that DO ship cross border...esp gun parts companies, usually have the parts noted what can or cannot come into Canada. I would think that they would have had a bit of a scramble to figure what's in and what's out and the rest of all the bullchit that come with the turds new gun ban

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#11 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12988 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 28 April 2021 - 06:45 AM

Most companies that DO ship cross border...esp gun parts companies, usually have the parts noted what can or cannot come into Canada. I would think that they would have had a bit of a scramble to figure what's in and what's out and the rest of all the bullchit that come with the turds new gun ban

Yep I would say you are bang on since in the past it was very rare for Brownells to screw up but happening a lot lately it seems from the posts out there

This new ban covered tons of makes and models and may take them years to get it straight

Cheers

#12 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9601 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 07:22 AM

Yep I would say you are bang on since in the past it was very rare for Brownells to screw up but happening a lot lately it seems from the posts out there

This new ban covered tons of makes and models and may take them years to get it straight

Cheers

Yup...or worse...just say fuggit and stop all cross border shipments  !!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#13 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 01:01 PM

I also would like to think that the CBSA would have some idea of what can and what can't come across. This is a very small part, I made one out in my shop while they were trying to figure what to do and after I put it in the gun and used it I realized I didn't need the one from Brownell's, it worked perfect. they put a yellow tape around the box saying it was opened by CBSA. Then has a stamp where it was sent for second viewing, If I had the money to waste I would order one everyday just to piss them off. Spend all that time on a piece of bent metal when there are assault weapons coming across the border, 

#14 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12988 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 28 April 2021 - 01:59 PM

I also would like to think that the CBSA would have some idea of what can and what can't come across. This is a very small part, I made one out in my shop while they were trying to figure what to do and after I put it in the gun and used it I realized I didn't need the one from Brownell's, it worked perfect. they put a yellow tape around the box saying it was opened by CBSA. Then has a stamp where it was sent for second viewing, If I had the money to waste I would order one everyday just to piss them off. Spend all that time on a piece of bent metal when there are assault weapons coming across the border, 

Be Careful. They can charge you. It is not their responsibility to make sure the item is allowed in canada it is yours

From CBSA

To avoid the possibility of penalties, including fines, seizure or prosecution, make sure you have all the information you need before attempting to import items into Canada.

#15 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 03:29 PM

Yea right, they are not even sure themselves for F'S sake. Find it hard for them to charge someone for that reason when they have no clue themselves what's allowed and what's not.

#16 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12988 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 28 April 2021 - 03:33 PM

Yea right, they are not even sure themselves for F'S sake. Find it hard for them to charge someone for that reason when they have no clue themselves what's allowed and what's not.

The old days are long gone my friend when we could take that paper out of a new gun box and order our parts through the mail no problem directly from the gun makers in the US.

Not true at all about them charging you. They can charge you quicker than you think if they want to and know a hell of a lot more than you or I think on theses items and it is all here if you like to take the time to read it. Confusing at first for sure but once you get into it the details are there 

What applies to you now IMHO is this which is why they opened and checked your package. It is not a waste of time they are just doing their jobs

Gun parts flagged period now what ever they are and all they did was check yours to make sure they were Ok to allow into canada. Normally when they open they charge the processing fee so looks like they did give you a break

117. The importation of parts for prohibited firearms is controlled by the Export and Import Permits Act. An import permit may be required for such goods. If a component or part is declared, but still falls within TI 9898.00.00 because the correct authorizations, licences, or permits are not available, then the parts are prohibited from entering Canada. More information on the import permit requirements for prohibited firearms parts may be obtained by contacting Global Affairs Canada.

. Like said above

Basically section 136(1) says whatever is in 9898.00.00 is prohibited.

complete copy

#17 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 05:22 PM

All good.

#18 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12988 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 28 April 2021 - 06:27 PM

All good.

Brownells have to get their crap together for these new restrictions and quickly maybe they have I don't know

Just hope they don't do like many others and say F'k canada it is not worth it

Cheers

Just read the entire 9 pages of this example I posted from nutz. Looks like as figured they are not as stupid as we think about firearms

The CBSA Officer called me to discuss this. He actually seemed like a solid fella that also had firearms caught up in the OIC and knew all about the other firearms the parts I ordered would work in. Sounds like he has already reached out on my behalf for direction. He advised this is with Global Affairs Canada.

I contacted Global Affairs Canada firearm export/import team seeking their guidance after explaining my situation too.

Crazy thing is I’ve ordered 3 or 4 times from Brownells since this OIC started. Almost all were parts from/for the AR pattern which also fit other arms. This order was the first to get held/seized.

I have another order with similar parts with CBSA right now so I’m expecting it to be held for clarification too.

Such a crap shoot.

#19 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 04:48 AM

I guess what I'm saying is that if the CBSA and Brownell's aren't sure what can come over to  Canada how do that expect a hillbilly like me to know before I order or they could charge me for an offense. Again politics and stupidity on my part I guess.

#20 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9601 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:34 AM

Just trying to get more of  the John Q Public to do their jobs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users