#1 Ian

Ian

Gone Fishing!

• Moderators
  • 1857 posts
  • LocationHRM & PEI

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:22 AM

From CBC.CA

The P.E.I. Bait Fishers Group is applying for a permit to cull cormorants in certain rivers and ponds on the Island, complaining the birds are travelling too far inland to feed.

Group president Bill Warren said the large, fish-eating birds usually congregate along the shore in nesting colonies, but over the last few years, cormorants have been travelling inland to estuaries and ponds where they are eating most of the fish.
"They just keep eating fish, so what they do is they literally chase the fish down and swallow it, come up for a breath of air and then go back down and keep fishing and they'll just keep fishing and fishing and fishing," said Warren.

"Most of this fishing is taking place in our estuaries where most of our smelts and our trout, and our salmon are."
Warren said the permit would allow recreational fishermen to hunt cormorants only at selected sites across P.E.I. He hopes this will help control the birds.
The proposal is being submitted to the provincial fish and wildlife division this week.
About five years ago wildlife officials allowed a hunt of double-crested cormorants, but there were problems with people shooting the wrong kind of bird.

#2 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

I can recall back in the 80's and early 90's dozens of cormorants gathering to feed at the falls just above Sherbrooke on the St. Mary's Rivers. They were there all day, every day. I'd like to know how many salmon and trout fry those things devoured. I think in such situations a cull is in order.

I never killed a buck with the shot I didn't take!

#3 Please Delete

Please Delete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3272 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:09 AM

I fought this fight when in Ontario. Our clubs were stocking the great lakes with salmon along with the mnr and these massive rafts of cormies would eat everything as fast as we put it in. We called for a cull because of the massive population numbers. Flocks were litterly km's long. The mnr was a typical govt group and needed to look into studies, blah, blah, blah....eventually after 3 years the New York State guys said "this is stupid, there's too many, and they culled them.".

The ON govt finally got on board because the birds were destroying the tree's in the lakeside parks. It wasnt the the dept of natural resources that acted, it was the dept of environment.

It really is a tough road when you want something culled. I understand the needs completely, but not everyone does.

#4 Wayne

Wayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

They are also one of the biggest reasons the restocking of salmon on the Lahave River never made a go of it. You could go up and down the river for about a month after they stocked it with smolts with the blue tags attached and you could pick all the tags up off the rocks where them **** hawkes just kept crapping them out. They had some real good feeds. I mailed a couple of envelopes full to DFO at the time but thats as far as that went! :angry:
Things that I have witnessed over the last 20-40 years. Society has become devoid of common sense and reasoning skills. Idiots breeding more idiots who are led by the nose through simple flashing lights from their iphones and other gadgets. Not only are they told what to think and what to do all under the BS of " social connectedness" but they pay a monthly fee for it.

#5 TREV

TREV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Locationblockhouse

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

Make good target practise ...wouldn they...put cormrant season on just before duck season so we can get tuned in...lol

#6 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2332 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

I can recall back in the 80's and early 90's dozens of cormorants gathering to feed at the falls just above Sherbrooke on the St. Mary's Rivers. They were there all day, every day. I'd like to know how many salmon and trout fry those things devoured. I think in such situations a cull is in order.

Yup and you see what kind of fishing we have now on the St Marys NONE!.back then the river association wanted to do a cull as well they got a firm no from DFO as the birds are protected.

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

​Remington 1100 std weight 20ga 

#7 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9153 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

There's millions of em round here...every point...rock...island...wharf...no prob to see em. There's an island here at home...it's called Mackeral Island...IT'S NOW DEVOID OF TREES ......THANKS to the cormorants nesting there for years. !!... "shags" as their sometime's also called. Growing up it used to be called "Shag Island"....cuzz it was always full of nesting birds. Well now it's in such poor shape...there's not enough trees there to let ANY more birds nest. Allll dead white / gray trunks only!! They've picked on a new island quite a few years ago..WOODY Island. Off of lower prospect....and they're STILL there...but not for long. Half the trees are dead now...and the rest will be gone soon enough. Often wondered if you catch their poop and use it as an "ECO" pesticide...sure as hell works as well as "roundup" or any of the others ...probably better. ;) .
I've seen them feeding pretty good in the river's waters in the mouth of Musquodoboit Harbour before. They were eating lots of fish. What kind..??..dunno...it looked varied to us...sea trout ??..smelt ??...young salmon ??...gaspereau ??
I would think ..some of each of the above for sure. Cull wouldn't hurt around here either IMHO.
If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#8 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2711 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:57 PM

How about an open season from july 1st to Oct.15, that would be great for me boating and shooting all at once, YAHOO!
Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#9 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8805 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

KEL could probably help out on this but I believe there are about 7-8 differant kinds of Cormorants around here.
I suspect ID'ing each on the wing or from a distance would be a bit difficult.

No shortage of em around here (work) either :angry:

#10 Joyrider

Joyrider

So much anger towards everything... :-(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:42 AM

There's millions of em round here...every point...rock...island...wharf...no prob to see em. There's an island here at home...it's called Mackeral Island...IT'S NOW DEVOID OF TREES ......THANKS to the cormorants nesting there for years. !!... "shags" as their sometime's also called. Growing up it used to be called "Shag Island"....cuzz it was always full of nesting birds. Well now it's in such poor shape...there's not enough trees there to let ANY more birds nest. Allll dead white / gray trunks only!! They've picked on a new island quite a few years ago..WOODY Island. Off of lower prospect....and they're STILL there...but not for long. Half the trees are dead now...and the rest will be gone soon enough. Often wondered if you catch their poop and use it as an "ECO" pesticide...sure as hell works as well as "roundup" or any of the others ...probably better. ;) .
I've seen them feeding pretty good in the river's waters in the mouth of Musquodoboit Harbour before. They were eating lots of fish. What kind..??..dunno...it looked varied to us...sea trout ??..smelt ??...young salmon ??...gaspereau ??
I would think ..some of each of the above for sure. Cull wouldn't hurt around here either IMHO.

I wondered about the history of Woody's Island over the last couple of years. It looked like it had lots of trees, but clearly they are in trouble now. I didn't know for sure it was the shags, thanks for the history Kevin.

Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users