5Th Annual Ducks Unlimited Dinner - Fund Raising News & Events - Nova Scotia Hunting

Photo

5Th Annual Ducks Unlimited Dinner

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2463 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

The 5th annual Sackville/Beaver Bank Ducks Unlimited Canada dinner/auction is on Friday, April 27 @ the Sackville Legion. Tickets $25 each.

Funds raised are used for projects in Nova Scotia. To date DU has performed over 500 projects in Nova Scotia.

#2 oldducker

oldducker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • LocationLantz

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

Hey - 25.00 and that includes dinner and a years membership with DU? Ive been to a few dinners and that would be one of lowest priced combos Ive seen.
Duck Unlimited - Delta Waterfowl - both great organizations to belong to

#3 Hfx.Hunter

Hfx.Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

The 5th annual Sackville/Beaver Bank Ducks Unlimited Canada dinner/auction is on Friday, April 27 @ the Sackville Legion. Tickets $25 each.

Funds raised are used for projects in Nova Scotia. To date DU has performed over 500 projects in Nova Scotia.

Just curious, how many of those 500 projects in NS are now closed to hunting?

#4 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2463 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

Just curious, how many of those 500 projects in NS are now closed to hunting?

That would depend on:

1. whether the project is too close to dwellings, schools, etc.
2. whether the project is within the limits of a game preserve.
3. if on private property, whether the landowner allows hunting on their land.

#5 Hfx.Hunter

Hfx.Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:16 AM

That would depend on:

1. whether the project is too close to dwellings, schools, etc.
2. whether the project is within the limits of a game preserve.
3. if on private property, whether the landowner allows hunting on their land.

Obviously 1 & 2 would preclude hunting under any circumstance, so are you saying that all projects that don't violate condition 3 allow hunting? Why can't DU provide numbers -- their reputation has suffered quite a bit over the last number of years (anti-hunting, targeting granny sponsors ... etc), so you would think that they would / could state their case and show how they benefit hunters.

#6 Shawn B

Shawn B

NSFAH Fundraising Coordinator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationNew Germany / Union Square (zone 103)

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:27 AM

Damn, some of these dinners need to be on a Thursday! I cant justify skipping a weekend at the cottage my wife would kill me! :o

#7 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2463 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

We were thinking about having it on a Thursday but figured we might get a bigger turnout on a Friday.

#8 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2463 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

Obviously 1 & 2 would preclude hunting under any circumstance, so are you saying that all projects that don't violate condition 3 allow hunting? Why can't DU provide numbers -- their reputation has suffered quite a bit over the last number of years (anti-hunting, targeting granny sponsors ... etc), so you would think that they would / could state their case and show how they benefit hunters.

DU has several programs that they put their dollars towards. Conserving wetlands for ducks and other wildlife being a major focus. Their "case" is clearly stated in both the Canadian & US websites including their hunting initiatives, hunting tips, etc.

I'm not getting your reference to no hunting on DU projects.

#9 Shawn B

Shawn B

NSFAH Fundraising Coordinator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationNew Germany / Union Square (zone 103)

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

LOL I was just whimpering because I like these dinners. Lots of great food, a chance to meet like minded folks and usually great auction items etc.

#10 Hfx.Hunter

Hfx.Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

DU has several programs that they put their dollars towards. Conserving wetlands for ducks and other wildlife being a major focus. Their "case" is clearly stated in both the Canadian & US websites including their hunting initiatives, hunting tips, etc.

I'm not getting your reference to no hunting on DU projects.

Pretty simple question: Of the 500 projects completed, how many still allow duck hunting?
Here's another: How many projects that were completed or undertaken in the last two years still allow hunting?

#11 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11412 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

I have one questions also. A few years ago (5-7) we made a donation of prizes and I asked a question. How many projects have been carried out in Cape Breton and they could not identify any at that time. The individual indicated this would be addressed.
Has it??

#12 Hfx.Hunter

Hfx.Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

Bump for answers.

#13 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2463 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

Pretty simple question: Of the 500 projects completed, how many still allow duck hunting?
Here's another: How many projects that were completed or undertaken in the last two years still allow hunting?

I know DU does projects under many different scenarios - private land, preserves, land willed to DU and the will might state no hunting allowed so DU would honour the deceased wishes, partner with other orgs, etc, etc. DU projects I hunt (private & Crown lands) allow hunting including one that was completed in 2009. Its all good as they all produce ducks and other wetland related wildlife.
Sounds to me like you should contact the Provincial DU office in Amherst if you want to discuss specific numbers/places.

#14 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2463 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

I have one questions also. A few years ago (5-7) we made a donation of prizes and I asked a question. How many projects have been carried out in Cape Breton and they could not identify any at that time. The individual indicated this would be addressed.
Has it??

3macs1 - I'm a member of Sackville area chapter of DU. Only know about certain projects where I hunt, put up nesting boxes, check out wildlife, etc. Dont know diddly about CB projects. I did find a map on the NS DU website: http://www.ducks.ca/...cure/index.html
Click on the map on the right of this page and you'll see a map where a few areas where DU is present in CB are identified. There's probably more stuff on their website than this.

#15 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11412 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

3macs1 - I'm a member of Sackville area chapter of DU. Only know about certain projects where I hunt, put up nesting boxes, check out wildlife, etc. Dont know diddly about CB projects. I did find a map on the NS DU website: http://www.ducks.ca/...cure/index.html
Click on the map on the right of this page and you'll see a map where a few areas where DU is present in CB are identified. There's probably more stuff on their website than this.

Thanks Gary for the info. It was not my intention with my post to put you on the spot, my apologies. I hoped there would be a member on the site from cape breton that knew.
It did tick me off years ago when the the group contacted us to donate additional items and they could not name even one project completed in cape breton when I asked but promissed that was going to change. Looking at the map you have provided in the link doesn't look like too much if anything other than some eider nests has been done to that effect.
Funny how they have no issue taking our money or donations however. Take care

#16 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2463 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

Thanks Gary for the info. It was not my intention with my post to put you on the spot, my apologies. I hoped there would be a member on the site from cape breton that knew.
It did tick me off years ago when the the group contacted us to donate additional items and they could not name even one project completed in cape breton when I asked but promissed that was going to change. Looking at the map you have provided in the link doesn't look like too much if anything other than some eider nests has been done to that effect.
Funny how they have no issue taking our money or donations however. Take care

Didn't put me on the spot at all - legit question that needs looking into. I'll be calling their head office, Monday. I'll let you know what I find out.

#17 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2463 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

3macs1 - sent you a pm through your profile.

#18 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2463 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:46 AM

bump.

Still a few tickets left.

prizes/auction items/draws include 2 shotguns, camo accented gear, prints, bino/rangefinder, layout blind, etc, etc. A fun night to raise funds for a great cause.

#19 bog_trapper

bog_trapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationLawerencetown, Nova Scotia

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:01 AM

Cannot wait, see you all there.

#20 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2463 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

Thanks to all who participated in last night's event, hope you all enjoyed the evening.The money raised goes to projects here in NS.

And a huge thanks to all sponsors, the Sackville Legion and volunteers. Your efforts and contributions are much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users