Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

Mushrooms

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  3006semiauto 
#1 ·
Too bad the chanterelles weren't better this year, I hear they are paying up to $3/ pound for the little suckers. The boys got a feed of them for us, but the woods are SO dry, they aren't much of a size.

See less See more
#3 ·
From what I understand, you need to be an expert when it comes to mushrooms. There are quite a few that will make you really sick or worse. I once knew a guy who was an expert on edible plants and mushrooms and I tried to learn from him but could never remember which mushrooms were good to eat and which ones to avoid. Now I just pick fiddleheads!

#4 ·
Not as scarry as it seems, I bought a book from Chapters 3 years ago taught myself stay away from the ones with gills especially white ones, have eaten many different kinds since and never got sick.Main thing is to get familiar with gills,tubes,ridges to make positive identification.Chanterelles have distinct ridges under the cap and have that creamy yellow color.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.