Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

Who's Hunted Moose On The Rock?

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  3macs1 
#1 ·
I'm interested in getting the boys together for a NL moose hunt.Any guide(outfitter) recomendations?What are the costs?Success rate?Looking at next fall as a target time.No more donating to our farce of a draw system(lat year was my 25th and final time).Thanks.

#2 ·
I've hunted the island portion of nl 4 times. Beautiful country. Awesome folks. I've done both...the fly in camps and the drive to camps. I prefer the fly in camps. Not that the hunting is all that much better maybe....but it adds to the overall epic-ness of the trip, at least for me.
not sure we are supposed to promote outfits that dont advertise on ns hunting, but if u pm me or send me email....i can offer up a suggestion ir two.
Although numbers are down, and license numbers are dropping fast, and if they don't cancel the season altogether by then, I'd look for an outfit that offers caribou hunting too, another magnificent critter to see on the barrens during the fall.

#3 ·
I have been to Nfld once for a drive to camp hunt , we had a 5 day hunt booked got our moose second day and was back home by the end of the fourth day . Good overall experience a bit expensive but I am sure if you check around you can find a deal that would suit you . The people of course are very friendly , and fun to hang out with . This is the outfit I hunted with .
Burgeo Road Outfitters Inc.
Box 450 RR#2
Doyles, NL Canada
A0N 1J0
Telephone: (709) 955-3133
Dwayne O'Quinn
Telephone: (709) 955-3133
Email:df.oquinn@nf.sympatico.ca

#4 ·
Costs can range anywhere from $2000 to $5000, depending on where you hunt. Remote fly-in camps are in the $4-5000 range while the drive-in camps are in the $2-3000 range. If you go, you are guarunteed to see some moose. Your abilty will determine your sucess rate.

One of my buds last year missed a few times--figured his gun got bumped or scope got banged. Was pretty discouraging!
Turns out his nerves got the better of him! We checked his gun out at the range and it was dead on!

If you go, the best advice I can give is do not shoot a moose on the first day!

#5 ·
Thanks for the leads guys,keep em coming.Bea i'll send a pm thanks.

#6 ·
Check out newfoundlandoutfitters.com for a lengthy list of outfitters plus there's others on line. This site will give the regs for non-residents http://www.env.gov.nl.ca/env/
Non-residents have to be accompanied by a guide either 1:1 or 2:1 unless theyre changing the reg this year.
Whether fly in or drive in ask if they have a butcher they use/recommend - some butchers will cut to your request, vacuum pack and flash freeze (if you go this route and pack in an old freezer or tub it'll last a couple days without thawing out or adding ice). If you dont go the flash freeze way make sure you ask where there is a dependable place for ice pick up.
Their moose rut is pretty well the same time as ours if your looking to call them in.
Take rain gear and waterproof boots - you'll need them. And if you're doing any amount of walking you'll need to be in shape, especially if your going to keep up with your guide - them Newfies legs just keep pumping whether its hills or tuckamore.

As with any outfitter, make sure you ask lots of questions and check out a few of the references that have gone in the last couple years.

Ian's got the prices pretty well pegged. And I agree with Bea - fly in sure adds to the experience, just keep in mind fly in is weather dependent so be prepared.

Bears are seen fairly often so you might want to consider a bear tag (if I recall they are around a hundred bucks).

Newfoundland moose hunt is a great time - Lots of moose over there, awesome country plus really nice knowledgeable down to earth people. Take lots of pics. Best of luck

PS - try not to drive at night on the highway - you are going over there to get a moose by gun or bow not vehicle..

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Been there twice Nomad but not in the last 10 years so not up on current outfitters. Both times around 3000 total when it was all said and done and it was not much of a hunt. Ist time I think it took like 22 minutes from leaving the camp and it was all over after what seemed to be a week of driving on an atv the day before to get in to the camp. Second time may have been 3 hours. Not much of a hunt to me like shooting a cow in a field.,Moose were everywhere and they say even more today.
Perhaps we had some real good luck also who knows. Great people as you know and the meat was good..
I would also price up Ontario which was cheaper since I had a brother living there at the time. Now we hunted our butts off up there to get a small calf after a week and for me was a more enjoyable experience as far as hunting goes.
Also tired Quebec once which also was a better price than the rock at the time but will never go back. Too many run ins with locals who don't want you there and will ruin the week as they did for us.Good luck on the rock and cannot wait to see the pics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.