7 replies to this topic

#1 FUNGY

FUNGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:20 PM

anyone on here gone goose hunting in pei. who to avoid success stories etc.

#2 Ruger

Ruger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:04 PM

anyone on here gone goose hunting in pei. who to avoid success stories etc.

hunters chance i have gone to several times (5 years in a row not last due to parents ill|) but in my opinion you won't find a better outfitter. david an rogert montgomery in french river (great people, great guides) and very reasonable rates an accomadations an meals incl.

#3 2547-removed

2547-removed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

I went out with Hunter's Chance 5-6 years ago and they are great people and the rates were reasonable, but we got very few geese (1 or 2) the whole trip. That was enough for me, we went out to Sask, the next year for not too much more and shot more than you can imagine.

#4 oldducker

oldducker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • LocationLantz

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

You should get information in Pm's from folks -Thats like asking whats your favourite local hunting store and dislikes Once you start likes and dislikes on here it can get ugly. Just my .02 cents .

#5 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11389 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

no,no, nothing ugly now,,, just their opinions,,good trips,,,,bad trips,,,,etc..were the outfitters good,,,guides,,,plenty of geese
do you feel you paid too much for what you got.I'm planing on going but I feel or think it's totally out to lunch what they charge
per day,$350.00 -$450.00 a day plus the other hidden cost, so a 2 day trip would cost a fella close to around $1500.00. Your total limit for 2 days are 10 geese if you maxed out at a cost of $150.00 a peice,,,that's a lot of profit for somebody I think,, Tell me if I'm wrong,and explain to me why I'm wrong. It appears to me it's a total rip off,,plain and simple for to go hunting for a couple of days
I realize that they lease the fields from the farmers but maybe the farmers are then to blame for their prices.

Sounds like you already have it figured out. I made my 1st trip in 1984 with wild goose lodge and have probally over 50 hunts over there since with just about every outfitter that put out a sign or handout over the years. Some years spending 3 full weeks hunting on fields we rented to hunt with family members who lived there.
I have never met an outfitter that didnot go out of their way to try to get their customers some geese and make sure they had a good experience. Unfortunately it is called hunting and they cannot garantee how the birds are going to respond but they sure do try their best. The last 10 years as the temp has increased it is getting harder and harder since the geese don't have to come into the fields to eat and it is just too warm. If you are focused on the cost which it sure seems you are no outfitter will please you.
I don't know what the average field cost is today but when we rented them a $2000 field was a cheap one and many were 2 to 3 times that. Takes a ton of hunters just to pay for the field rentals these guys pay every year, not to mention all of their high end decoys, hundreds of stuffers etc etc. If you want to pound birds save your money and go to sask as earlier suggested but from my experiences out there is just too easy and it is just shooting, shooting and more shooting not hunting.
To me breaking a small group of geese out of a large flock with your call and seeing them eventually drop their feet over the top of your decoys and shouting TAKE EM BOYS is priceless and you cannot put a dollar value on that. This pic took 15 minutes one morning to have 20 on the ground, some years we would hunt 6 days and not fire a shot.
Good luck with what ever you decide
Posted Image

#6 Goldeneye

Goldeneye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

I went out with Hunter's Chance 5-6 years ago and they are great people and the rates were reasonable, but we got very few geese (1 or 2) the whole trip. That was enough for me, we went out to Sask, the next year for not too much more and shot more than you can imagine.

Yeah, We went to Hunters Chance 8 or 9 years ago, I think it cost us $700.00 each for the trip and everything.
They said they were going to give us a real good guide in the fields... lol... we went out 3 days or so, the young fellow that was our guide couln't call a crow in let alone a Goose.. long story short.. we got 1...lol

Enough of that stuff.. I'll stay around here and maybe kill a couple.

#7 Halftail

Halftail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts
  • LocationBarrington,NS

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

Kaw Kaw......sound like a Goose goldeneye? lol
If you can't convince them,confuse them.

#8 R.Wyre

R.Wyre

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationRiverside Rd.

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:12 PM

I'm booked with Pointview Outfitters this year. The Newfoundland Sportsman will be there the week before. I seen the shows from previous hunts with Pointview and it looks good.......    It's been a few years since I've been over and this is the first trip with them. I hope it's as good as it looked on tv!

Robbie Wyre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users