Caleb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationBridgewater, Nova Scotia

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:16 AM

AWESOME!!!
If we aren't meant to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?

#4 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9280 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:45 AM

How KOOL is that !! God bless her!!
If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#5 wibskey

wibskey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1832 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

Wow! I hope if I make it to 95 I'll still be out hunting...

Maybe all those grandmas putting in for the NS moose draw are more legitimate than they seem. ;)

#6 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2515 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:11 AM

Take a look - Laura went back again this year - absolutely  incredible.

20131_zps1beef3bd.jpg

20132_zpsb6e77a88.jpg

#7 long-gone

long-gone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:12 AM

thats wut Im talkn about.....way kool....

every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#8 linnie

linnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3847 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:07 AM

That`s awesome!! And she got her horns.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you

#9 heavyweight

heavyweight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

God bless Laura ,its awesome to see her truely enjoy her life at her age.welldone and kudos Laura ,may you have many more moose hunts in the future!
Its not the mountains ahead that may deter you from your goals,but merely the grain of sand in your shoe

#10 50 cal

50 cal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Locationwoods

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:23 AM

That is awesome to see  

What an inspiration

Congrats Laura

#11 Moose1967

Moose1967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

Incredible - if I can do that at 70 I will be happy !!!

#12 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

That's a great story!  Quite a gal.

I never killed a buck with the shot I didn't take!

#13 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2515 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

96-year-old bags eight-point bull
author_thumbnail.jpg Krysta Carroll Published on October 08, 2013

Last year Laura Wood of Nova Scotia had bragging rights, but this year she has even more.
During last year’s moose-hunting season in this province, the 96-year-old woman travelled from the Yarmouth County area of southern Nova Scotia with family members in an attempt to shoot her first moose.

article.jpg

Laura Wood travelled to Sandy Lake Lodge from Nova Scotia for the second year in a row. The 96-year-old is pictured with the eight-point bull moose she got this year. — Photo courtesy of Si Thompson/Special to the Advertiser

“The first year I got a cow,” Wood told The Advertiser in a telephone interview last week.

But she wanted to come back this year for the second time.

“So I could get a bull,” she said. “I wanted the bull so I could put the horns up on my porch.”

Wood said she has been hunting for decades.

“I have ever since I could first get my licence to go deer hunting. ... I don’t know if it was 16 or 18 that you could get a licence,” Wood said. “I’ve had a licence for a long time and I most always get one every year.”

When she decided she wanted to try her hand at moose hunting for the first time last season, she chose a family friend’s place, Sandy Lake Lodge, 35 miles south of Grand Falls-Windsor as a crow flies.

“I knew **** and Anna (Fevens),” Wood said. “They live in (Lower) Argyle and they come up here sometimes to play games.”

The Fevens come to the lodge twice a year — spring and fall — and go back home to Nova Scotia for the rest of the year.

Grand Falls-Windsor’s Si Thompson was Wood’s guide during the week of Sept. 16.

On the first day they got some animals but never got a good opportunity for a shot, Thompson said.

“On Wednesday morning she come across this bull and she was successful in taking it down,” Thompson said. “I don’t think there was any more proud than I was. She was awesome.”

Wood is the oldest person Thompson has ever taken hunting.

“She wouldn’t have it any other way,” Thompson said. “She drew the first blood, and usually after that I move in. ... I just laid down the knife and she picked it up and had to get involved in it too.”

Overall the family had a successful week, he said. Her grandson got the first moose for the week for that family — a six-point bull. Then Wood got the eight-pointer, and her son, Laurie, got a little spike horn.

Thomson said Wood’s drive and determination, along with her strength, were amazing.

After getting her moose on Wednesday, she took the afternoon to play cards, Thompson said. Thursday morning wasn’t a good morning, so Friday Thompson and Laurie Woods planned to do some walking, but they weren’t going without Wood on the last day of the hunt.

“While she was with us, we saw seven animals that morning,” Thompson said.

“She is just a joy to be around. There is nothing in the world that I don’t expect from her now. There’s always bear hunting, and there’s always caribou hunting.”

There are some factors playing a role in if she is coming back.

“That’s according to how I feel,” Wood said. “I’m only 96 so I don’t plan to go too many more years.”

She enjoyed both her trips hunting in Newfoundland to the fullest.

“It was a very nice trip. Everybody was good to me,” Wood said. “(It was) the very best trip you would want. I had a very nice time. I did enjoy it the first time, but I enjoyed it more the next time because I got my bull moose.”

She does have another goal now that she got her bull — she is waiting to go hunting to get a buck.

Why hunt for eight decades?

“Just because I love it,” Wood said. “I love the outdoors and I love the beauty of it all. The Lord is so good to me. He gives me such good health and everything.”

The Advertiser

Geographic location: Nova Scotia, Newfoundland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users