#1 Tokala

Tokala

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1033 posts
  • LocationCumberland County

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:44 AM

Yesterday my 9 year old daughter had it with the rain!!! Out of the blue she made a request that when mom got home from work could her and I go Bear Hunting :D .... Well I would never say no to a hunting opportunity to take a princess hunting and so began the preparations. I said if she wanted to hunt bear we had to experience everything we got the bait buckets packed up loaded in the truck in the pouring rain with her three year old sister we got soaked!!!
After drying off and a hardy lunch of my best Zoodles and buttered bread we started going through some cloths to keep her warm and dry. Women are a mysterious creature even though we were going bear hunting she still had to have cloths that matched :blink: ??? They also need to have a properly placed ponytail so it fits out the back of her camo ball cap... she was disappointed that she only had the rubber boots with pink polka dots that didin't quite match the pattern of being camouflage I assured her that bears like pink polka dots!!! She rolled her eyes at me.... when she was 5 the explanation that bears liked pink polka dots would have been satisfactory inspiring other thoughts that bears may also like pretty butterflies lollypops and rainbows....
Mom arrived home to find two camo clad bear hunters ready to roll!!! After assuring our boss (The Queen) that the princess would be kept safe by "The King" to witch I received the same roll of the eyes as the princess gave me earlier :P we headed out. I did some quick baiting while she sat in the truck playing with her I-pod.
We did a safety check of our gear and I did another explanation on gun safety were the muzzle points and safe places to be when you are a princess. Then I committed the ultimate fashion offence and draped her outfit in hunter orange :lol:
We were sitting comfortably in the blind at 3:30 and she sat perfectly still and very silent on several occasions over the next hour I asked her was she ok, cold, hungry, bored... I was shussshed on each occasion :huh: which is strange cause at home she never shuts up....
After an hour and a half she broke Thank God LOL.....and we got to chatting about nothing in particular. Thats when a slug traveling on the window sill took her interest that was when I received my education on slugs :blink: she described things like how they move by laying down slime to reduce friction against their bodies allowing them to ``slide`` along much like us when we are skating or sledding :huh: Who Knew... I asked where she learned all this stuff and it turns out ``school`` while they learned about invertebrates!!! I guess the do teach them stuff in school because when ever I ask her what she learned in school today at the supper table she always says... ``nothing``
After educating me on invertebrates the topic changed to BOYS :blink: and that they are disgusting....wheeew!!! But funny Huh :blink: ... she told me stories about the boys in her class giggling like a 9 year old school girl while I thought about how to break it to her that boys are always disgusting but funny at any age....Boys are FUNNY...... so it begins :wacko:
Before I knew it there was about 10 mins of light left and I decided to take her out to the truck and call it a night while we could still safely see....
We never saw a bear lots of squirrels, bluejays, and a grouse but my night was a complete success!!! I took My Princess hunting and talked with her while enjoying the great outdoors!!! What more could a man ask for....
"We are a part of nature and not above it" - Grey Owl

#2 readeth

readeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationValley

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:10 AM

that is an awesome story... I've got a 15 month old little girl that I can't wait for the day to take her hunting with me..

Well done!!!!!

#3 heavyweight

heavyweight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

Tokala i have to say your story and your princess s stories sent all kinds of emotion through me,taking me back a few years to the days of when my oldest daughter used to like to go along on some hunts,what a wonderful time you and your daughter spent ,nothing like special memmories,thanks for sharing . :rolleyes:
Its not the mountains ahead that may deter you from your goals,but merely the grain of sand in your shoe

#4 linnie

linnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3842 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:00 AM

That's great to hear Tokola.
Gotta love time with the kids.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you

#5 prosser

prosser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

AWESOME!!! i have a 14 month out that i cant wait till she is old enough to go!

#6 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9153 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

WTG ..."Dad"....it don't get much better than that right there TOK!! She'll remember that for the rest of her life. :)
You will too !! :wub:
If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#7 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8805 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

Good stuff!!

#8 hotwire

hotwire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • LocationAuburn, Kings County, Nova Scotia

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

Great job Tokola!
Teach others to enjoy and respect nature.

#9 CAT COUNTRY

CAT COUNTRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

Thats what its all about,getting the kids out and spending quality time together something i enjoyed greatly with my son.

#10 Tokala

Tokala

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1033 posts
  • LocationCumberland County

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:48 PM

Thanks so much guys it was a great day and one of the best times I've had hunting I just couldn't resist sharing it... I called my Dad to tell him... its also his B-Day today.... I owe everything I know about hunting to him and enjoyed all the times him and I shared in the woods together and now I get to share it with children of my own!!!
"We are a part of nature and not above it" - Grey Owl

#11 Cjeep

Cjeep

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationAmherst

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

There's nothing llike taking the young ones out with you. Getting something during that hunt just never seems to be that important. A bonus but not important. Great job Tokala and I hope there's many more for you and your Princess.

Mark

#12 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2463 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for sharing!!

#13 Radar

Radar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationEast Lawrencetown, NS

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:32 PM

Awesome story Tokala! With 3 daughters myself, looking forward to getting out with them myself. Think my 12 year old and I are heading out for the bow opener next Saturday, we were into Giant Tiger yesterday and got her an orange hat and vest, she's all too excited! Pending on how her interest goes this year, I'll put her in the HWW Course next summer, provided they have it again ( I sure hope so ). Here's to many more years and trips with "the girls".

Radar

#14 First Nation HUNTER

First Nation HUNTER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1350 posts
  • LocationNB

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

Excellent..Tokala...

my baby girl is now 11 .. when she comes out with me, we spend more time talking than hunting...
But i wouldn't have it any other way.. :)

Keep it up, and enjoy every minute / memory... they grow some fast!
"If they run, they'll just die tired"

- Browning BLR PG, .300wsm
- Savage Model 111, .270win
- Savage Model 11, .243
- Mossberg patriot - wood/iron sights, .30-06
- My trusty 1958 Winchester model 12, 12ga
- Limbsaver dz30, Easton FMJ and a muzzy

#15 Bowhunter

Bowhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip