Tyrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:51 AM

Hello all,
I am new to the area and between the crazy regs. and the farmers that wanna charge me to "use" their fields I am at my wits end looking for a place to hunt. Could someone please help me out?? I am looking for a place to hunt either ducks or geese, sadly I do not have a boat so that throws another wrench into the works...but I do have a car and I dont mind driving a bit

Hope someone can help!
Thanks

#2 woot

woot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationElmsdale

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

I have resorted to pond hopping. I have a canoe and just paddle about. I tried knocking on doors and had no success... Basically it seems like you need to be family or close friends. Only other alternate is to reach out like you are doing and hope someone has room for a decoy mule. I hear of folks limitting out in a field in an hour where a lot of my full days I might see 4 ducks. I have only room for one person in my small canoe and I have been taking a friend of mine.

I do have permission for farmland in grand pre which I will hit up after deer season for pheasants. I havent had chance to scout it for ducks but I am 90% sure it would require a dog. :(.

The good news is that the few ducks you get a chance at, you earned!!!

Good luck!

Wanted: More places to hunt and more time to do it.

#3 Inuk

Inuk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationCole Harbour

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

That is the single biggest obsticle in Nova Scotia, finding a place to hunt. There is a lot of private land and getting permission to hunt is very difficult. All I can say is to keep knocking on doors and asking around. It took me years, but finally I was granted permission to hunt an area up in Pictou, 2.5 hour drive, one way, but at least I get a chance to hunt!
If you are too busy to hunt, if you are too busy to fish..........you are TOO BUSY!!

#4 kris

kris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

Drove home tonight,through park street in the marshlands(behind) the mall.Hundreds of ducks flying,one guy hunting the salmon riven with his lab.Lots of people duck hunted there for years,certain isn't much traffic there this year,never hunted it but know lots that have.
It's not a hobby...it's a way of life...

#5 Tyrel

Tyrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

Do you know which part of the river you are allowed to hunt?

#6 Tyrel

Tyrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

Just an update, was out again this morning and managed to get 4 black ducks, beautiful birds! I have permission to hunt a very large corn field not too far from truro and there seems to be lots of ducks and geese flying there....now if only I had decoys lol

I would still like more info on places nearby that one can hunt and where on the salmon river people are allowed to hunt.

Thanks,
Tyrel

#7 woot

woot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationElmsdale

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

Well... I have a bunch of floaters that would work.

#8 Tyrel

Tyrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

Yeah i was thinking of buying some floaters. Seen about 50 geese (tonnes more off in the distance) and 200 ducks but couldn't bring them low enough with just a call, got lucky on one small bunch and took those 4 blacks.

I know of another place about 30-40 min drive from truro where there's a little mud creek not far (100 yrds) from open water and there are thousands of blacks flying there. Ideal place for floaters I bet. I was there on the low tide and didnt have any luck as the birds were following the shoreline.

Interested woot?

#9 woot

woot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationElmsdale

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

Yup. Check email.

#10 Daniel Wayne

Daniel Wayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationFletchers Lake

Posted 10 October 2020 - 12:25 PM

Can someone tell me where I can hunt ducks in. Truro ? Thanks Wayne

#11 labradort

labradort

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 10 October 2020 - 08:57 PM

Hello all,
I am new to the area and between the crazy regs. and the farmers that wanna charge me to "use" their fields I am at my wits end looking for a place to hunt. Could someone please help me out?? I am looking for a place to hunt either ducks or geese, sadly I do not have a boat so that throws another wrench into the works...but I do have a car and I dont mind driving a bit

Hope someone can help!
Thanks

You better check up with the federal laws on hunting waterfowl.  I think you need access to a boat or a dog.  Federal laws mention "the requirement to have adequate means to retrieve birds immediately".  If you don't have a way to retrieve the bird, that kind of activity is better done as clay shooting.

#12 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 11 October 2020 - 07:34 AM

Hunt the cobequid bay when the tide is going out
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users