Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some older componants as in herco powder and sp 10 wads i'm hopin someone on here got some old data that might contain that recipe.I want it for coyotes.

·
Registered
17,024 Posts
Have never used herco in any of the 10ga lead loads I have done over the years always blue dot
But not saying it can't be used
I have all versions of the lyman back to no. 1 so If they are where I think they are I will have a look later tonight
What is wrong with the load buddy gave you on the duck chat forum other than the cheddite hulls which I have no idea where to get those
Cheers

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Here are 2 loads from my rcbs book . from the book it would appear that Herco is to fast a powder for 2 oz payloads . loads listed are 1 5/8 oz .
10 ga 3.5" Federal plastic target shell with fiber basewad . 1 5/8 oz lead shot ,cci 209m primer , 36 grains Herco , rem sp10 wad +4 .135" cards under the shot . 1285 fps , 10300 psi .

10ga 3.5" Winchester Polyformed plastic shell with white plastic basewad .1 5/8oz lead shot ,cci209m primer ,35.5 grains Herco ,rem sp10 wad + 3 .135" cards under the shot . 1285fps , 10400psi .

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are 2 loads from my rcbs book . from the book it would appear that Herco is to fast a powder for 2 oz payloads . loads listed are 1 5/8 oz .
10 ga 3.5" Federal plastic target shell with fiber basewad . 1 5/8 oz lead shot ,cci 209m primer , 36 grains Herco , rem sp10 wad +4 .135" cards under the shot . 1285 fps , 10300 psi .

10ga 3.5" Winchester Polyformed plastic shell with white plastic basewad .1 5/8oz lead shot ,cci209m primer ,35.5 grains Herco ,rem sp10 wad + 3 .135" cards under the shot . 1285fps , 10400psi .
I'm hopin to find a published load with a 1300 plus for 2 oz thxs for the recipes tho .

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
To get that kind of velocity with a 2oz payload your going to need a different powder . blue dot or longshot are more suited for heavy payloads with higher velocities . note the near max chamber pressures for the two 1 5/8 oz loads I listed using Herco. they are your limiting factor .

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To get that kind of velocity with a 2oz payload your going to need a different powder . blue dot or longshot are more suited for heavy payloads with higher velocities . note the near max chamber pressures for the two 1 5/8 oz loads I listed using Herco. they are your limiting factor .
Thx Rembolt but the bp recipe i got is 800 gr doin 1300 i got bluedot and longshot powders but the herco and sp10 wads are the combo i want cause i got a alot of those wads and herco so i can save my other componants.I also have an 1 7/8 oz hammer load i used for years on coyotes but those componants are gettin more expensive i'm tryin to get a little more cost efficient..

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Yes BP has some fast loads .what components does the BP load use .and at what chamber pressure .

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes BP has some fast loads .what components does the BP load use .and at what chamber pressure
The recipe i usually run is 1 7/8 oz there is 10800 pressure at 1360fps with bpd 10 wad and 4756 imr powder which isn't made anymore now most recipes run bluedot or longshot.The new/old recipe i got is off the bp website its 9500 at 1300fps .The higher you go in weight the slower it goes ueually, the 1 7/8 was the fastest lead i ever used on coyotes.

·
Registered
17,024 Posts
Just got a chance to check the old lyman books and 1 and 2 are way too old for the components you have . Third edition has a few herco loads for 2 oz but they use the cc1 157 and remington 57 primers and I would not switch them for a 209 and to find the old small ones forget it. I just have a couple 100 of the 57 and they were saved for 16ga loads in rem paper hulls
Not sure where my edition 4 and 5 are but will look

·
Registered
17,024 Posts
i'm goin to go with the 800gr recipe this year
You don't have much of a choice it seems. I reloaded a lot of 10ga years ago when we could shoot lead and never used herco . In fact don't remember anyone I knew doing 10ga using it either. Yes the good old days 2 1/4 oz in federal hulls with sp-10 wads, blue dot and copper plated BB with of course buffer to boot and deadly to 75 yards :) with a full choke
I have maybe 2 pounds here of herco and that was for 16ga hunting loads and very few got that
Cheers

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You don't have much of a choice it seems
I can play with it theres alot of forgivenes with sp 10 wads i'll probally drop from 39gr to 35 and load up to 2 oz and see what the chrono says if its around 13 plus i'm good.IT WON'T TAKE LONG TO DIAL IT IN..LOL dumb cap lock

1 - 20 of 20 Posts