Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Baikal Over/Under, 12 Gauge 2,3/4” chambers, 28” barrels with vent-rib and aftermarket interchangeable thin-wall choke tubes. Model IJ-27E. Manufactured circa late-70s/early-80s, I guess.

I got it many years ago from the original owner, who had hardly ever fired it, though it seems he had cut the stock down to fit him. I made the investment in getting a gunsmith to bore it out for the choke tubes and to add spacers to the stock to fit me properly so I could hunt grouse with it. I tried it for one season but could not get used to the double-trigger arrangement. Too many grouse escaped after I blew the first shot and pulled again on the cold trigger. No doubt a few rounds on the trap/skeet range would’ve corrected that issue, but I said the Hell with it and bought a Citori. Never looked back (till I discovered the perfection of the Browning Double Automatic for grouse hunting). So, this Baikal has not been fired in 20 years. It is in nearly-new condition. Blueing is perfect, wood is undamaged, chequering is unblemished.

This Russian gun is a relic of the Cold War sporting-arms trade, with a US importer having brought them into North America. Baikal shotguns of that era have a reputation for being very robust and durable. It sure feels solid in the hand - probably built like a T37 tank! Sporting iconography is stamped into the receiver, so the Soviets were at least trying to make it look nice too.

With the included interchangeable choke tubes (Skeet, Modified, Full), this particular Baikal shotgun could be pretty useful to a bird/rabbit hunter or clay-shooter who is looking for an over-under at a modest price. $600. PAL, secondary ID, and face-to-face transaction only, please.
Wood Sleeve Tool Sports equipment Knife
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Shotgun
Automotive tire Bumper Synthetic rubber Rim Cylinder
Cylinder Gas Auto part Nickel Household hardware

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
You are selling it for the cost of what the thin wall choke tube installation would be today on a o/u and yes built like a tank and should not last long
All the best with the sale

1 - 2 of 2 Posts