Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

20 guage

2K views 69 replies 10 participants last post by  3macs1 
#1 ·
I recently acquired an 20 guage lee loader and im not sure what wads and powder to get. I like shooting 3" #6 long range and have hulls from browning 3" and remington express 2 3/4". Id love to have something that patterns close to theese factory shells. So what wads would be best. Also the reloading book i have calls for long range powder. Should i try and track this down or would imr blue work as i have a lb of that?
Fluid Drinkware Alcoholic beverage Glass bottle Bottle

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
What reloading book do you have
The browning hulls are normally winchesters with browning stamps and have to be checked to make sure they are and if compression formed or seperate base wad Can almost see lines in the hull wall in your pic and if so seperate base wad design
Have to find the exact hulls in a reloading manual the speed you want to reload to match factory speed and it will tell you what wads and powder and primers is suitable etc etc
Only use published tested recipes from reloading manuals not what some one tells you is Ok to use Pattering will vary pending your choke and firearm make and has to be paper tested to get what you desire
Cheers

#5 ·
Your right guys longshot is what the book calls for. I have the lyman 5th addition shotshell manual. For 1 1/8 oz heavy game load calls for long shot with rem sp20 wads. In a remington hull. So im assuming the rem hulls i have i can use this load, but the brownings different? Or cant use them at all? Or should i look into getting new hulls?

Also wheres the best place to source the items needed?

#12 ·
Finding a different make of 3 inch hulls to buy new or used will not be easy Most don't reload 3 inch and toss them so hulls are scarce and yes the brownings are different and as said are normally made by winchester so COULD if the same use winchester data which would be in your manual Do you have 3 inch remington hulls since 1 1/8 normally won't fit in a 2 3/4 which is in your pic
Cheers

#14 ·
I would save them for down the road until you get more familiar with reloading one type as you say since if winchester they may take the same components or maybe just need a different wad or powder charge If you have enough remington 3 inch it would be a lot simplier at this stage for the 1 1/8 loads you desire
Cheers

#15 ·
When you say "Lee loader" are you talking about the one in the flat box and you do it all by hand / hammer or the Lee load all...mounted to a bench ?
I have some of the newer Remington Gun Club hulls here...2 3/4 inch, once fired..I can give you a hundred to start you out.

#18 ·
I don't think so Joe...1 oz only...I haven't ever done anything over 1 oz for all my 20 ga stuff. I didn't look that deep into it. I know BP makes short wads for that reason and loading short shells.

#19 ·
Didnot think so I know I had to use fiber wads in the few I did to get a pattern wad cutting no good Only reason I mentioned it is he said he wants to do 1 1/8 loads so I could not see how the gun clubs you offered were good for that MY guess the factory ones have special wads also for 1 1/8 in a 2 3/4

#22 ·
Makes sense to hold on to them mac. Thanks kevin thats awesome. I have the lee load all thats bench mounted. If you have any hulls and or wads youd be willing to sell that would be great. I havnt been able to find any 20g hulls locally and am not 100% sure what to order or where from. I have 2 boxes of w 209 primers and 1 box of cci 209 primers

#24 ·
I stand corrected Joe my RCBS book shows one only 1 1/8 load for the 20 ga Federal 2 3/4 inch paper base hulls as well as three 1 1/8 oz loads for the Fiocci 2 3/4 inch hulls with the plastic base wad

#28 ·
I have the data here for those 3 in Browning hulls (( IF they're Winchester HS style )) just look inside you should see a white cup sitting in the bottom...coming up the side of the hull about 5/8 inch

#31 ·
Great reloading information:

Question one: what type of shotgun are you using, what barrel length and what choke(s) do you have?

What are you hunting? Ducks? Grouse? Pheasant? Woodcook? ????

What kind of shotgun are you using?

What is your normal shooting distance?

Do you normally shoot gun up or gun down?

Apologize for the questions as load recipes may vary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.