Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts
Your handy kelvins have you checked with him to see what might be available . Or flint and steel in Debert . Hummason in ontario would also be a good starting point . For powder and wads . Leads shot they will have. shipping one bag will be expensive .I would try to source the lead locally if at all possible . Pick a load you wish to build and buy the exact componetes for that load including the hulls ,primer ,wads and powder . A 2 3/4" 7/8 0z load at 1200 fps with the aproperately sized shot will harvest all the grouse ,pheasants and rabbits one could carry .

The gun dealer? Flint and steel?? Young guns?
Ive got some shot to spare and a full bottle of longshot
The gun dealer has hulls and wads right now according to the website

Everything you need except the actual loader.

Shouldn't use those CB wads for Cheddite or Federal hulls Tim. They have a lead in taper for Remington and Winchester hulls (which are also tapered) The feds and the cheds are straight walled hulls and there's a real good chance of getting powder migration past the gas seal.

Reactions: 3macs1
The CB-1078-20 is the replacement wad for the WAA 20 listed below.
THIS IS 7/8 OZ LEAD SHOT (any size) LOAD DATA

MANUFACTURERPOWDERPRIMERWADCHARGEPRESSUREVELOCITY

Hodgdon
LongshotWin. 209WAA2016.59,800 PSI1,200
HodgdonLongshotWin. 209WAA2017.810,600 PSI1,250
HodgdonLongshotWin. 209WAA2018.611,700 PSI1,300

It wouldnt let me post specific loads just the front page
I figured he could play with the hulls/wads/powder i listed until he found a good combo

The gun dealer as a good selection of 20ga stuff compared to 410 and 28ga.

410 and 28 ga hulls go real fast on there...lol
We know how long that stuff lasts on the net don't we 😅😅

410 and 28 ga hulls go real fast on there...lol
We know how long that stuff lasts on the net don't we 😅😅
Winchester and sts I get 25 cents each now no questions asked in 410 and 28ga Last of the 410 win what I call the inhouse easy to find stash of 400 left went yesterday rest are buried in the garage which is a sept job and have to count the 410 before I sell anymore since I want to keep 4000 or so in case that club is ever built

Sometimes those hard to find hulls just mysteriously appear in the mail too !!...wink wink, nudge, nudge...lmao right Joe ?

Sometimes those hard to find hulls just mysteriously appear in the mail too !!...wink wink, nudge, nudge...lmao right Joe ?
Yep as you know never be short since you have friends in LOW places :Das I have been told :rolleyes:
The 28ga and 410 mainly came from Irv's shooting supply for maybe 12 years Not sure if you dealt with him LLoyd a hell of a shooter and a super nice guy reminded me of ross
I said every 410 and 28 ga hull you get I will buy just send them and your cheque will be in the mail and he did
Even then and he gathered in Ontario where there was a lot of shooting I may see just one or two boxes a year so they were hard to get even in the day
take care

No worries Kyle...only too glad to help you out bud, or any other fellow shooters for that matter !!
Like I mentioned to ya...I'm only a call away if you need anything else.
I heard great Praise this week from Tim's Wife ( Michelle ) for helping another younger shooter getting started out , when she came to the house dropping off and picking up items .

Kudos for that as well , great job there

Thanks Walter !! Right back at ya !!! Was a great thing you did as well...not many would do that for a friend, let alone a stranger. KUDOS to you !! I'm only getting started on that young fella ;);)

Thanks Walter !! Right back at ya !!! Was a great thing you did as well...not many would do that for a friend, let alone a stranger. KUDOS to you !! I'm only getting started on that young fella ;);)
I was more than happy to help out a younger shooter/ hunter , he has a great mentor in Tim and I was simply passing on the torch many still fight to keep lit and show when a friend is asking for a favor that favor will be looked after properly , even if means dig in to my own a little .

Discussion starter · #57 ·
Got out shooting yesterday eve. Broke in the new tikka and man shes a tack driver with 1/4" groups at 100 yards. Think i worked up a good load for the 300 win mag with 3/4 groups at 100. But patterened some of the 20 guage loads i reloaded and wouldnt mind a bit tighter pattern. Think ill try a faster load and see how that works. Also the big problem i found with the shell reloads was jamming.... this gun has never jammed on me with thousands of factory shells through it. Its almost like the brass was swollen but unnoticably. She jammed 6 shell outta 40 but the ones that jammed its was like the breech was not fully locked in place? Firing pin wouldnt let go when trigger pulled and had a bit of a time extracting the live jammed shells. Is this common with semis and reloads or am i doing something wrong?

Got out shooting yesterday eve. Broke in the new tikka and man shes a tack driver with 1/4" groups at 100 yards. Think i worked up a good load for the 300 win mag with 3/4 groups at 100. But patterened some of the 20 guage loads i reloaded and wouldnt mind a bit tighter pattern. Think ill try a faster load and see how that works. Also the big problem i found with the shell reloads was jamming.... this gun has never jammed on me with thousands of factory shells through it. Its almost like the brass was swollen but unnoticably. She jammed 6 shell outta 40 but the ones that jammed its was like the breech was not fully locked in place? Firing pin wouldnt let go when trigger pulled and had a bit of a time extracting the live jammed shells. Is this common with semis and reloads or am i doing something wrong?
Nice groups from your handloads.
As for the 20 gauge, it seems like the shell isn't being resized correctly. Just out of curiosity, what loader are you using?

Im figuring you know unless a semi is cleaned inside on a regular basis dirt and fouling can cause issues. If thats done then check the resizing die and the size of the brass bases, it could be not fully resizing the brass due to an incomplete ram cycle on the reloader

Discussion starter · #60 ·
I keep her spotless as all my guns are like my kids to me so im confident thats not the issue. Id say your right tim with the resizing die not seating the best or maybee i didnt press them enough. Im using a lee load all 2. Thanks caper would still like to tighten the group on the 300. Might try some more fine tuning

41 - 60 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.