Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Edit: Did not realize this was a classified add. Though OP as wanting feedback on them.My buddy has one and had one before for over 14 years.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The following show the fuel consumption from government of Canada data source (for spreadsheet) :
Fuel consumption ratings

2004 Ford F150 4WD 6 cyl

CITY (L/100 km)HWY (L/100 km)COMB (L/100 km)
17.2​
13.7​
15.7​

2004 Nissan Xterra 4WD

CITY (L/100 km)HWY (L/100 km)COMB (L/100 km)
16.3​
12.6​
14.6​

The fuel consumption is slightly better than the same number of cylinder F150. For a 4000 lb vehicle, this is the fuel consumption to be expected. I checked what it would be on the newest Xterra possible - 2015 model, and it is 16.0,12.0,14.2 - just a tiny improvement.

I totally agree this vehicle is a poor choice for commuting. That's why I rarely used it to drive to work. I used it for heading to the woods, and I didn't do anything rough with it. One vehicle was able to bring me down the highway, and then onto the woods roads.

If you're comparing to a side by side, yeah, the consumption is going to be way up. But how do people transport their side by side? With a heavy gas consuming truck or SUV unless you start your trips from your backyard. The number of KM one does on a woods road is surprising little if you measure it.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I replaced this with a newer Xterra, that's the only reason this is for sale.

I considered some options for the newer vehicle...

I looked at compact trucks. The only reason I could see to go with a pickup is if you get a 6 foot bed. How else can you carry a mattress when the kids move? Most trucks are crew cab now with a short bed. The Xterra can fit a single mattress inside. Finding a used 4WD truck with a low price and a long bed and not rusted out is seldom seen. New trucks sell for what we paid for our house in 2003!

I looked at modern "SUV"s, and most don't provide ground clearance in the range of 9.5 inches. Ground clearance is essential for the woods roads. 4Runner would work, but people expect over 10K for a rusty rig if it is any kind of Toyota 4WD. Their reputation doesn't even make sense if you research the number of problems and recalls in the 2004-2010 years. In addition, the newer Toyotas are large machines now, and would scratch up on the branches, as well as have a hard time when meeting traffic coming the other way on the woods road. Jeep is the only other SUV with similar ground clearance, and their lifespan seems troublesome, plus the ones which seem to come with decent ground clearance are too compact to carry something like a mattress.

So it was back to getting another Xterra for me. It took some time to find one the way the car markets are now, but it eventually worked out.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vehicle has passed an MVI done on Dec 23, 2021. New muffler on it. Ready to be sold and registered without another MVI done at this point. Waiting on part for cylinder 4 fuel injector, due to arrive in January. All-seasons are stored in the back in bags, ready for the new owner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts