Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
41 - 60 of 507 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Flushed two grouse and made a friend, fellow hunter I ran into on the hike out, so I'm thinking the day was a success.

Got to 60 yards from a buck and watched him for ten minutes with bow in hand last week, and passed on a doe shot yesterday that was far beyond my bow skill, so of course with .308 in hand I'm not suprised I didn't see anything today! Heard just one shot today, but more than a few yesterday?!?!?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Sat on the stand this afternoon untill 6:30 no whitetails at all... at 6 out walked mother and cub black bear watched for about ten minutes and then said to myself time to get them outta here yelled at em and momma took to running and baby wasnt far behind.... hope they dont come back... even though its nice to see im hunting deer not wildlife photography

·
Registered
298 Posts
Had a doe and 2 little ones 15 fet from me today. She blew at me at least 50 times but didnt run. Very interesting to watch
Then the circus began. In total there were 11 shots around me today. I thought it must be all deer but the last one at 5.30 was an approach of a truck a slammed door and a shot. It was at this point I decided to go and have a little yarn with this MORON. Then on the way to see him while my blood was literally boiling I ecided maybe an argument with a gun in my hand was probably not a great idea so I came home.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got in from my blind bout 30mins ago lots of tracks down at my bait site and could see and hear the deer moving but couldnt get a clean shot off..On the way back home came up on a doe and she took off into the woods before I could rase my rifle..hopefully better luck tmrw

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Had another great evening. Put my little 3 legged fold up seat in a patch of raspberries on the edge of a field and figured that would break me up pretty good. Not exactly.
Had a few chickadees fly around and chirping away when I heard some snap snap. Out came a doe and fawn at 25 yards on my right. She came out into the field about 20 yards and then spotted me,the stare down was on! After 2-3 minutes she turned around ,with the young one following and walked to 5 yds of the tree line.At this point The brush between us was much thicker and I could barely see her but could still see the little one. Stare down number 2 was on!
I think the chickadees saved me but also almost killed me. As the doe was staring at me the chickadees were flying around me and chirping away when one landed on my shoulder! Almost had a heartattack as I tried not to flinch. Anyways I think they actually calmed her as she turned around and back out into the field they went, mind you the were some long looks back until they were about 80 yards out.
All was cool and then the big blow came from my left. Slid my head around a little bit and there was another doe and fawn about 40 yards away looking at the other ones. They went about another 10 yards and I was spotted again! This one wasn't so bad as she only stared for a couple minutes and the other deer were out in the field allready.
After 5 minutes all were out of sight and I pulled out at 6:20.Might have to do some weaving around my seat if I sit there again.
All in all great day, 7 deer and one was a buck. Could've shot 6 legally, only the buck was 3 minutes to early this morning.

·
GREYBEARD
2,930 Posts
Hunting with my 270 in 109 saw a few grouse no deer and a couple shots this morning and 5 or 6 shots tonite, back at it tomorrow!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sat in my stand from 11:30 till 6:30 and man is my butt sore! Watched a little 4 pt for about 20 min but that was it. Back at er again tomorrow for a full day sit, good luck guys and gals.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Didn't see anything today. I was a little over dressed for a day like today. Man it was warm. I heard a few shots. I just don't understand how somebody can fire 10 shots at one deer. Maybe it's time to site your rifle in or is it a little buck fever. I did find 3 ground scrapes today. So I'm finally getting some buck sign showing up in my area. Now if one would show up in my cross hairs. Can't wait for the morning.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Well I left work a bit early, came home for supper and then headed out. Just had time for a nice walk in my favorite spot close to home. Well I seen some sign, found where I'm going to hunt tomorrow morning and headed out at dark. Got on the ATV to headed out the road, less than 200m from where I parked I came up on 2 nice size deer, I got a good look at thier tails for about a minute as they ran. Good start to gun season.

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
I dunno if this guy is a member here or not...
Hope so cause I'd love to hear if it was...just happened along, or seen and targeted.
No-one seems to be postin about successes sooooo...
This is one crazy lookin buck...
What ya know about it Macdude?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Well I'm done for a few weeks...gotta go back to work. Seen alot of deer but no biggun's. Looking forward to the hunt in decmember now. Had an interesting morning yesterday, after i watched three small bucks come and go I settled in to read a bit. Before turning a page I looked down a shooting lane I had made years ago for the rifle and all I could see were deer coming, everywhere! There were 12 in total, all does and fawns.....nothing trailing them from behind....lol. Out of the 12 there was one huge doe that stood out, I was slowly going for the bow but decided against it at this point. Gonna be a long five weeks waiting to get back in the stand! One of the guys at the camp tagged out on a small seven pt and the other guy missed a real nice eight pt. A good friend of mine here in CB killed a beauty 10 pt last evening, I'll try and score some pics.

Congrats on the two beauties....love to hear the story on the non-typical. Good luck all!

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Man Macdude that is a gaint i would love to hear the story on that one to.Congrats who ever put that gaint down.

·
Registered
898 Posts
that things got more points than the porcupine I finished off this afternoon

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well , Ill comment, My father had to work Thursday evening. Well I woke up 530 Friday morning, had to hound mom to let me take the day off, it worked so by the time dad got home i was ready, well change of plans he slept for a hour he told me to wake him up at 8, I woke him up at 730 he was too tired to even notice I think. So he went bought his license then the fun started. We parked the truck and decided to walk since the deer arent bothering with our apples. So we walked for awhile then we came to a intersections in a road and a little buck was walking up the road and here I am saying SHOOT it walked broadside in the woods with in my eyes a clear shot. well dad went up and couldnt see him anymore, so we continued. Then we walked through a big clear cut like 2 moose then we were trying to find a different road when we spooked a big dry doe she never stopped for a shot. Well that was are day 2 deer great way to start it off, but it should be over haha
All I can say is I cant wait to go with dad Wed. as i convinced mom no school again, and one more thing DAD- I hope you see this post. When I am 16 I think I should shoot.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Not a bad first day in the woods for me. Had a close encounter with a coyote at 10 yards this morning but it was heavy cover so I couldn't get a bead on him. Saw on deer tonight, but only a glimpse, and it was gone. Saw lots of new scrapes that weren't there on Thursday, so things are starting to heat up.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've had an interesting weekend...... Couldn't get yesterday off work, so I packed the car with my gear and headed for the camp in Noel Shore at 4:00pm. Landed at the road into our camp at about 5:20pm, hunted my way back to the camp, about 2 miles. Nothing, but did manage to stir up 4 grouse, which was kind of nice as the've been scarce up that way the last few years, was nice to see. My father, brother, Uncle and Father-In-Law were already at the camp eating supper. Ate, played cards, asked if they saw anything, my brother saw a 4 point first light, but no shot. Bed by 10 pm.

Up, ate breakfast this morning, headed for my favorite blind. Lots of sign around the choppin, no deer though. Put new brush around my blind, and fixed it up some, were all heading back for the NOV 11th week. Pouring rain, so I was soaked ( wasn't raining when I headed out ) so back to the camp I go to dry out some and get my raingear. Waited about an hour and downed the gear and headed back out. Got 10 mins from the camp, and my guts start scrambling ( I have IBS and Colitus ). many more "stops" before I get to my blind, feeling like crap, no pun intended. So back to the camp I go. I layed in my bunk till around 11am, and thought, well, the worst seems to be over. So as my father, Uncle and Father-In-Law eat scallops for lunch ( I passed as this was the last thing I need at this point )( My brther had since gone home as he doesn't hunt in the rain...lol )I gear up and head for the blind...again. Rains stopped, suns coming out, but the wind is high. Again, 10 mins from the camp ( the blind is about 20 ), I see an ass end at a small pile ( half a sobey's bag or so ) of apples we put there to see if the deer are about. It's a doe. I think, " someone once said on this site , don't pass up the first day, what you won't on the last day". So I raise the gun, she's on righthand quartering shot, but as I step back aiming begind her front leg ( Oh.. she's about 50 yards at most ) the head comes up from eating, the tail stays down, and just as I squeeze off the shot, she takes a frontleg step to the left. I hit her on her right side at her lower back. She drops over on her back and is gasping, I finished ger off and clean her out. We have a set of scales at the camp, she weighed in at 121 pounds, and is now home, hung, and skinned and waiting for the butcher. Apparently, now I'm the "camp Tramp" for our week back...cooking, cleaning, etc.. lol

41 - 60 of 507 Posts