Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the Opening day for Ducks is tomorrow , been busy as a beaver all morning getting stuff ready , went thru my check list after getting the truck fixed for inspection ffs , but that's a whole different topic , INPECTIONS , GRRRRRR ,
Let's see the check list so far , boat and trailer loaded , Check , Start the outboard up after full rebuild on top end electrical , started right up and purring , Check , Fresh gas and full tank in outboard , along with full tank in the truck , Check , chest waders and life jackets , Check , Oars , Check , emergency items and spare plugs and tools for out board, Check , spare tire for trailer and truck , Check , Tie downs are secure for everything , check , DECOYS ! , Check ,

This is just small example of things we as outdoors man need to do before a excursion to the great out doors , since tomorrow is opener , I'm gone for the day , hoping for good overcast with some westerly light winds , few showers to boot , keeps the birds down that way moving from spot to spot , got few sheltered places too I can jump shoot if need be .

My only issue is deciding which one my waterfowl guns to take along for the day either way I'm just going be happy smelling the salt air, hearing the sounds of whistling wings and the sounds of ducks responding to my calls , anyway I slice it up there are no bad days in the blind . Be shooting some vids as well tomorrow .

Good luck to all heading out and stay safe .

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Will be going in the morning myself . good luck to all .

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I went through all this last Monday night!! Packing, repacking, making a list, repackin again, lol. Then finally staring at all the gear trying to figure out what you're forgetting. Then not being able to sleep waiting to hit the road. Good times.

Our opener was awful, calm warm day with no rain at all. Not a lot of birds when we went.

Don't forget your licenses!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Cmon oct 22 ...
Ok second that , geese were everywhere this morning !

Well here it goes for me , up at 3:15 am quick trip to the bathroom not the last either lmao , had everything packed and ready , truck was hooked up to the trailer and boat and off to Tim's once put rest of the gear in the truck . Weather was blowing pretty good South /South West 25-40ks , never seen a thing on my drive down , until I hit my turn off and old yote face standing on the road , pulled to my place and low and behold a second yote going across the mud flats, stopped for a while to listen to the sounds of the waves crashing and for the faint sounds of ducks and geese.

Waited till 6 bells and slight bit of daylight to help guide the way down the main channel , Damm tide was going out fast but the old 6hp pushed thru and got 3/4 the way across till had to row just a bit , got settled up and decoys spread set next thing I knew birds were coming in early , sat and waited for legal shooting time out came the semi , and started to do few calls , birds were singles and doubles , light fog and mist , very overcast with the south west winds staying steady . Birds were co-operating , if they were too high they just kept trucking , no sense blasting at out of range high birds , the ones that met thier fait came in slow and low with the wind in thier face , anything with wind on the back I let circle or just go by and try call them on back side . By 10:20am limited out, was time to pack up and head back across and birds were still circling as I was standing in the decoys spread .

Over all it was great morning , listening to the shore birds and watching the flocks of them going back and forth on the seaweed and kelp that was bedded on the mud flats .

Any day out is a good day ! As well! Any day out and getting home safe is what matters, just getting out to enjoy the passion that lives deep within your soul .

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
WTG tyson!

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
Nice job Tyson

The one gun old dudes had three flocks of geese also come into their duck decoys this morning and like you they limited on ducks

They said the mosquitoes were unreal

Cheers

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Nice job Tyson
The one gun old dudes had three flocks of geese also come into their duck decoys this morning and like you they limited on ducks
They said the mosquitoes were unreal
Cheers
Thanks guys !
No misquiters biting at this ole die hard , was surprised I heard only few shots down one the coves , altho someone tried get in where I already was , it was like sorry everything's in the boat and tied to the shore , just had shove er in last foot or two and keep from getting blown down the channel , that old Johnson 6hp started first pull and away I went . Had one small flick of geese come by my blind and these were very big birds , it was small hands of geese but they were all nice size birds , one of the ones from early Goose last month is Supper for Thanksgiving !

My only problem is , do I go hunting waterfowl , or sit in the stand for deer , trapping opens soon and this year may be bit limited , I'll see how things go .

I'm not looking to limit every day , but I do have a family that loves duck and with 4 kids the family enjoys it , last year they got 3 good size feeds of 3-4 birds each time , so Saturday I'll be back at er and what ever comes in is going toward them .

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
Thanks guys !
No misquiters biting at this ole die hard , was surprised I heard only few shots down one the coves , altho someone tried get in where I already was , it was like sorry everything's in the boat and tied to the shore , just had shove er in last foot or two and keep from getting blown down the channel , that old Johnson 6hp started first pull and away I went . Had one small flick of geese come by my blind and these were very big birds , it was small hands of geese but they were all nice size birds , one of the ones from early Goose last month is Supper for Thanksgiving !

My only problem is , do I go hunting waterfowl , or sit in the stand for deer , trapping opens soon and this year may be bit limited , I'll see how things go .

I'm not looking to limit every day , but I do have a family that loves duck and with 4 kids the family enjoys it , last year they got 3 good size feeds of 3-4 birds each time , so Saturday I'll be back at er and what ever comes in is going toward them .
My old buds are pretty much the same on the limits. Once they get 3 or 4 in the freezer they go back to grouse or deer hunting until goose opens

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
9,769 Posts
Great stuff !!...and keep up the reporting Walter ...love reading this stuff !!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll fill you guys in on this Saturday's upcoming hunt , BOTH DAUGHTERS are coming for hunt with dear ole dad , my oldest getting home from University for weekend and is excited to take trip out as well as her younger sister , this should good , both shooting 20 Gauges as both are smaller shooters , for me this one is just bonding time and memories to hold onto .

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Took my 4 yr old girl out this evening to a marsh close by. What started out as appearing to be a bad luck start turned out to be good luck. I pulled in the parking lot and saw another vehicle so started looking around the fields to see if I could spot them and lo and behold there was a guy way over right beside the pond I had planned to take her to, which was also where we had our Delta heritage hunt a few weeks back. So there I am a little bummed wondering what to do. So I dragged all our gear and her in the sled to the opposite end of the marsh, a much longer and harder drag. But it all paid off!! There were ducks flying off everywhere as we moved in. I got her sat down where we would set our decoys and I took a quick stroll over to a drainage ditch beside us and a flock of ducks lifted off out of it, dropped 2 drake mallards with the trusty Maverick 88. Then we set all our decoys out in a pond where the drain ditches meet and shot 2 more hens one at a time coming in to us. She had a great time drinking hot chocolate and having some bubblegum and wouldn’t let go of the ducks once I brought them back to her. She might be a long way off from being able to actually hunt but she sill likes going! She’s saying now she wants to come with me deer hunting and wants me to shoot a little one so she can carry it back. Haha

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took my 4 yr old girl out this evening to a marsh close by. What started out as appearing to be a bad luck start turned out to be good luck. I pulled in the parking lot and saw another vehicle so started looking around the fields to see if I could spot them and lo and behold there was a guy way over right beside the pond I had planned to take her to, which was also where we had our Delta heritage hunt a few weeks back. So there I am a little bummed wondering what to do. So I dragged all our gear and her in the sled to the opposite end of the marsh, a much longer and harder drag. But it all paid off!! There were ducks flying off everywhere as we moved in. I got her sat down where we would set our decoys and I took a quick stroll over to a drainage ditch beside us and a flock of ducks lifted off out of it, dropped 2 drake mallards with the trusty Maverick 88. Then we set all our decoys out in a pond where the drain ditches meet and shot 2 more hens one at a time coming in to us. She had a great time drinking hot chocolate and having some bubblegum and wouldn't let go of the ducks once I brought them back to her. She might be a long way off from being able to actually hunt but she sill likes going! She's saying now she wants to come with me deer hunting and wants me to shoot a little one so she can carry it back. Haha

Great job , this is how we get the next generation started , glad it worked out for you both and she got some great memories with you to last a life time as well as some excellent table fare

·
Super Moderator
9,769 Posts
Them little ones are SOOOOOOOOOMMMME TASTY.....LOL

This is a Great addiction for any of todays millenials to have....
wink.png
wink.png
good stuff Dave !!!

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Great stories guys . the opener for us was agood day out . we only got six birds 4 black ducks and 2 pintail hens . we had lots of birds work our decoys but as suspected the wind kind of hampered us as they would not commit . it was great just to sit there as day light came listing to the marsh come alive . never seen a goose all day although they are around .

·
Registered
266 Posts
Took my 4 yr old girl out this evening to a marsh close by. What started out as appearing to be a bad luck start turned out to be good luck. I pulled in the parking lot and saw another vehicle so started looking around the fields to see if I could spot them and lo and behold there was a guy way over right beside the pond I had planned to take her to, which was also where we had our Delta heritage hunt a few weeks back. So there I am a little bummed wondering what to do. So I dragged all our gear and her in the sled to the opposite end of the marsh, a much longer and harder drag. But it all paid off!! There were ducks flying off everywhere as we moved in. I got her sat down where we would set our decoys and I took a quick stroll over to a drainage ditch beside us and a flock of ducks lifted off out of it, dropped 2 drake mallards with the trusty Maverick 88. Then we set all our decoys out in a pond where the drain ditches meet and shot 2 more hens one at a time coming in to us. She had a great time drinking hot chocolate and having some bubblegum and wouldn't let go of the ducks once I brought them back to her. She might be a long way off from being able to actually hunt but she sill likes going! She's saying now she wants to come with me deer hunting and wants me to shoot a little one so she can carry it back. Haha
That is lovely, our two youngest daughters (8 and 5) love all things to do with hunting, foraging and everything outdoors. We got a grouse yesterday so they were super stoked but the 8 year old was fuming that Daddy ran after a flyer and left two that were hiding clearly visible. By the time he got back they had left the area. She was saying that of she had a gun they would have been for it!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Our youth are the future of anything today , best way to get them active in anything is get them out early and instill deep roots to help grow the passion , woke up to my daughter getting in from N.B. at 3:20 am from late night drive to get home for the weekend , first thing she asked was are we still going for Saturday duck hunt in the rainn, I said Damm right and I got a big smile in return . Going head up to the cottage this evening , stay there then it's a short trip to the blinds for the morning ,

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not a bad day this morning, managed to take home 8 birds between two of us. wouldve been two limits if it were for a family of half a dozen otters that stole two cripples before we could paddle out to get em. first time ive seen that happen. theyll get theirs as soon as trapping season kicks up. 1 blackduck,2 mallards and 5 teal

1 - 20 of 23 Posts