Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
What a wonderful thread, and a great idea. I would also like to mention the whole site looks fab. I do keep tabs on what is going on throughout the year, honest I do! I am just quiet!

·
Registered
315 Posts
On to last Friday , it called for rain but once again my daughter insisted on us hunting so we rolled the dice for the morning at least , up at 4:30 to prep , shower and get breakfast at the cottage and get the heat on as well . Said to her we will check the new sets on way out and go from there .

Weather stayed calm till 8:30 when wind started and not long so did the rain , we sat still and waited things out till 11 pm when rain finally held up enough to walk back out , nothing moved , even squirrels b4 the rain stayed put , there was our sign things were not to be . Cameras showed evening b4 they were back but not at the pace in prior days . Soon as we got to the truck the sky opened up , dawned on the rain gear to check sets and it turned into a 2 coyote morning on drag sets / post scent , of course they worked and had one that took 10 mins in pouring rain to find , the other was trail side both curled up under heavy brush . Rest of the day was total was out due to heavy rain . Back to the cottage , look after my fur and settled down for supper my daughter made for us .sat down and watched the rains and wind settle down by about 7 pm , said we will try the other hardwood stand to see if they moved over as we keep a log book on activity at both sites, we find them moving stand to stand every day and half to two days .

Saturday morning pretty much started same as day b4 weather was cooler 3 *C , crispy and light frost , the other stand is easy 20-30 min hike in , its mix of hardwood and swamp with pockets of small spruce but when activity picks up there its steady usually very late season . Sat up in the ladder stand and simply took in the sunrise and sounds of grouse coming off the roost , our group of Whiskey Jacks moved thru several times thru the morning . Place was dead calm , every sound of every vistor could be heard thru out the stand and back side . Trying to whisper as not be heard and just move quietly while having coffee and snacks , at around 9:40 a lone small doe ( yearling ) made its way to the apples only to move along within a minute or so , when we heard a big doe bleat who was only 10 yards away beside a big maple , watched her every motion to see if her male counterpart was in tow . Nope just those two , they moved out only to return back a hour later and straight to tbe apples . Watching them to see what may take place , my daughter has a Doe Tag but saying that , if thats her option it must be a lone doe with no yearling trailing or joining her . We have enough bucks on camera to wait it out .

By 11:30 we made our way out for break time and trap checks , quiet on that end we made it back by 2 pm for last hours of the day , afternoon was filled with grouse moving about sometimes right at the foot of the ladder . Watching the sun go down the quietness set in with no more visitation to the apple pile.

Sunday came and figure We bring in another load of 200 lbs of apples to the ladder stand in the morning b4 my daughter headed home for work as I was staying the night again for Monday B4 the oncoming weather . After that it was just a day to get work done .
I love reading these stories! Spending time with your daughter in the woods is so special, my kids love time out there, they are still too young to hunt but soon enough! Looking forward to hearing more :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Walter, you started this thread with a great story, the middle and the end stories too where great reads, thank you for sharing. It is shame you could not tag the one you wanted, the season came around and went quick. But, I also find that each year it seems to come around quicker and quicker, that may also be due to getting older (time seems to go by faster!) As mentioned in the other thread, hubby had success this year and tagged a nice doe early season and a buck late season, so we will be enjoying them over the winter months. For the first time in 5 years, the buggers have been in our garden munching on our kale, so we spent yesterday sorting the fences out. Two nice bucks by the prints in the snow, hopefully they will stick around until next year. Congrats to all who had success, and congrats to all who learned new skills, found new places and in general spent time in the great outdoors observing nature, the best part of it all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts