Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
GREYBEARD
2,966 Posts
Hopefully the poacher will not be back considering you almost caught him.
Your updates are making for some very good reading Tyson10gauge.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Good Morning everyone ,

Well another couple days have passed in the woods and not much on the trapping front, even tho Coyotes are still a heavy issue everywhere .

Had chance for Father / Son hunt yesterday and eagerly got up for head start of our day. Left from home this trip , up early enough to get thermos of coffee and slip out quietly not to disturb the misses and our dogs . Headed over to Micky D's for coffee and so on for our trip out , taking our time to enjoy one of the first frosts of the yr down our way .

Talking along the way about how one of our blinds have gone without activity last 4 weeks +, other than coyotes as close as 100 yards along the edge line of small brook of run off water from the hardwood ridge up back . Even saying with this cold coming in should see something moving along the roads where we always see deer . Sure enough a big Doe and a Spike buck crossed in front of us giving enough time to come to almost full stop and get full look at the spike buck .

Continued along watching eagerly for more movement but nothing other that a fox was to be seen , still good sign first ones spotted in the many drives out or back in over a month , was getting bit nervous if this was going be our season , repositioned 2 cameras on opposite side of where coyotes have been big issue about km away plus stuck a cell cam down bottom of the 60M high hardwood , evening b4 showed big doe just traveling thru on cell cam and nothing else .

My son's blind once he got down in the mid morning showed 2 big does and a young spike buck cruising the small hardwood stand all hours of the previous evening and thru the night with few day time pics

My blind has gone stagnant last 4 + weeks showed finally a button buck on video at the apples from the evening prior just before dark , was waiting for mid day to go check other 2 cameras a km away at a ladder stand I put up back in 2015 and has been either hit or miss spot , but this yr seems to be spot to work on for rest of the season , a very nice 8 point showed up with 3 different does , where apples were only dropped at same time cameras were set up.

My morning hunt went from deer hunting to coyote hunting from Sun up till 9:15 constant barks , howls from just inside the tree line , even using a distress call and then going in to stalk and sit till just before 11 where i just said time to check the big hardwood . Nothing dared venture out into the crosshairs of my .308

So said well gotta move where there are and backed out quietly for noon time lunch and texted my son to say I'm keeping put for afternoon up at the big hardwood ridge . I'll come down so we can fire up the stove , make fresh coffee and hot soup for the cool slight breezy afternoon to that evening wait for sundown .

After lunch I headed back up parking the truck at bottom of the trail head and proceeded up the 1/2 km hike in got up in the stand and started checking GPS and some mapping once I heard Chainsaws in distance , I know two nearest roads are both on opposite side of a still water ravine that goes back up to another small hardwood/spruce mix

No sooner that 2:30 pm I heard a shot off in the distance , about couple mins a second , my heart sank in some ways , then with in a 10 min span 18 shots , Cripes sake target shooting coming into prime time of the day and yes I hunt as much of the day as I can , From 2:30 pm - 4:20 pm over 200 plus shots and even sounds of exploding targets going off . Must be nice to go into the woods , waste money lime that and screw up someone elses day hunting ! ! None the less I sat watched hoping the 8 pointer would come my way from all that B.S about 3 kms away . But no I sat right till sun went down listening , scanning , waiting , nothing moved and nothing but sound of few grouse off side of me going to the trees for the night .

Texted my son said meet you out at the road , coming out your way , no sooner picking him up coyotes went in to full howls , yips and barks , off in the distance . Soon as its time for Snares , going in and be plastering the area.

pardon me for being all over the place in this part of the thread , still tired from long week and not much sleep.

At the end of the day it was all good , just spending time with my son in the outdoors was the best part of the day

Happy hunting .

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Good Afternoon everyone ,

Guess I'll give some more to the Chronicle , well trapping is at stand still guess since I've relocated most my leg holds as coyotes have changed up their traveling a bit with taking some of their members out , sitting at #16 with them and they have seem to be in 3 groups and sticking to same areas but staying off beaten path , turned to my survey lines for travel now and soon time for snares for them .

On the hunting scene has had some good and really bad weather days , we are working 2 blind sites that the deer are frequenting regular as rut seems to be getting more in swing with colder weather even getting some day time action now . 2 different occasions on same day last Tuesday morning had big doe in at day break then another deer walked on my back side , not winding me but standing off to the back facing away in part thicket looking into the thicket of spruce and swamp . Tried getting better look b4 it went in but to no avail just hearing it go around and back out to front of me walking along the inside of the thicket for at least 2 hours b4 leaving the area. Thought it must been the 8 pointer we have on camera following a big doe that she herself was no show . Rest of that day was quiet , and peace full , watching Blue Jay frequent the apples , squirrels running about chattering making noise thru the fallen leaves , woodpeckers flying about the hardwood pecking for insects , the 5 Whiskey Jacks who all come from same direction every time and leave the same route . Morning and evening routine of the Grouse coming off the roost and then back again in evening time .

Then theres the piece and quiet of ones own thoughts and ideas , funny how one can think more clearly when in such a less stressed environment . Pretty good day in my book , that's what counts .

Skip up to Friday and Saturday , well Friday was a real quiet day not a breeze , with lots of smaller wildlife moving about as previous days prior , no deer in the morning , tons of camera vids on night time action with few daytime vids of the buck moving about in the thicket sometimes there for a hour or two , but not coming out for a clear and clean shot . Friday was also another father/son hunt , he in one stand in smaller hardwood while myself in the bigger hardwood , keeping in touch and meeting up for lunch and trap checks or change of location for them . He had couple coyotes on Friday come about 30-50 yards in the bottom of the hardwood to the left is thickets and swamp , barely getting rifle up them gone again . What ever reason they are not coming up to the apples but are brazen enough to go right along the blind in tbe thicket and bark or howl right off to the side of it .

Myself for friday had big doe come in at 4:40 and just stand there looking back , I knew she had company but it would not come closer , just right at dark the doe quietly slipped back out the way she came in . Only to see next day on camera 40 mins later was her and the 8 pointer both at the apples on video for almost 2 hours back and forth .

As for Saturday , My daughter wanted to get out for day of deer hunting so yes we went , instore for a blustery , raining heavy at times , but time to catch up , wait it out and take the day for what it was . Checking cameras at that stand showed , 83 videos from night b4 on one shooting lane , 8 point in mid lane at the mock scrape and 9 vids of big doe and 3 newbies at areas a spike , 3 pointer and a 4 pointer , never b4 on camera at either of two hardwood stands .

The day went on , neither wanting to move , just watching , even the grouse stayed put most the day barely walking from cover to cover spots of the brush piles . Rain kept up once 4 pm hit got even harder hoping it would let up for getting back as it would not so called it quits at 4:45 not wanting to risk losing a deer that time of day if opportunity arose . Theres still time in the season , talk about a fast walk back out in the pouring rain , only to have to travel back home as my daughter got called into work on her night off . So no stay at the cottage last night.
Smile Glove Wood Workwear Shawl
Plant Plant community Natural landscape Branch Trunk

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Good Afternoon everyone ,

Guess I'll give some more to the Chronicle , well trapping is at stand still guess since I've relocated most my leg holds as coyotes have changed up their traveling a bit with taking some of their members out , sitting at #16 with them and they have seem to be in 3 groups and sticking to same areas but staying off beaten path , turned to my survey lines for travel now and soon time for snares for them .

On the hunting scene has had some good and really bad weather days , we are working 2 blind sites that the deer are frequenting regular as rut seems to be getting more in swing with colder weather even getting some day time action now . 2 different occasions on same day last Tuesday morning had big doe in at day break then another deer walked on my back side , not winding me but standing off to the back facing away in part thicket looking into the thicket of spruce and swamp . Tried getting better look b4 it went in but to no avail just hearing it go around and back out to front of me walking along the inside of the thicket for at least 2 hours b4 leaving the area. Thought it must been the 8 pointer we have on camera following a big doe that she herself was no show . Rest of that day was quiet , and peace full , watching Blue Jay frequent the apples , squirrels running about chattering making noise thru the fallen leaves , woodpeckers flying about the hardwood pecking for insects , the 5 Whiskey Jacks who all come from same direction every time and leave the same route . Morning and evening routine of the Grouse coming off the roost and then back again in evening time .

Then theres the peace and quiet of ones own thoughts and ideas , funny how one can think more clearly when in such a less stressed environment . Pretty good day in my book , that's what counts .

Skip up to Friday and Saturday , well Friday was a real quiet day not a breeze , with lots of smaller wildlife moving about as previous days prior , no deer in the morning , tons of camera vids on night time action with few daytime vids of the buck moving about in the thicket sometimes there for a hour or two , but not coming out for a clear and clean shot . Friday was also another father/son hunt , he in one stand in smaller hardwood while myself in the bigger hardwood , keeping in touch and meeting up for lunch and trap checks or change of location for them . He had couple coyotes on Friday come about 30-50 yards in the bottom of the hardwood to the left is thickets and swamp , barely getting rifle up them gone again . What ever reason they are not coming up to the apples but are brazen enough to go right along the blind in the thicket and bark or howl right off to the side of it .

Myself for friday had big doe come in at 4:40 and just stand there looking back , I knew she had company but it would not come closer , just right at dark the doe quietly slipped back out the way she came in . Only to see next day on camera 40 mins later was her and the 8 pointer both at the apples on video for almost 2 hours back and forth .

As for Saturday , My daughter wanted to get out for day of deer hunting so yes we went , instore for a blustery , raining heavy at times , but time to catch up , wait it out and take the day for what it was . Checking cameras at that stand showed , 83 videos from night b4 on one shooting lane , 8 point in mid lane at the mock scrape and 9 vids of big doe and 3 newbies at areas a spike , 3 pointer and a 4 pointer , never b4 on camera at either of two hardwood stands .

The day went on , neither wanting to move , just watching , even the grouse stayed put most the day barely walking from cover to cover spots of the brush piles . Rain kept up once 4 pm hit got even harder hoping it would let up for getting back as it would not so called it quits at 4:45 not wanting to risk losing a deer that time of day if opportunity arose . Theres still time in the season , talk about a fast walk back out in the pouring rain , only to have to travel back home as my daughter got called into work on her night off . So no stay at the cottage last night.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Tyson10gauge, love seeing that your daughter wanted to get out with you.
Thanks Beaverhunter
She has a real love for the outdoors and travels regularly with me when she has the time to do so , both hunting and fishing , my other daughter is away in N.B and misses those chances to do the same .

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
And yes Time for an Update ,

Going Move on up to November 16 , Turned out to be a great day in the woods even tho trying get back on track with coyotes , between freeze outs and too much rain soaking up the ground heavily , some game trails have become small brooks with the rain as of late .

Morning in the stand started off about as normal a day would till at around 8:10 it looked like a parade came to town from 5 does coming in at once from two different directions , not one was being pushed or followed except by other does , did not take long for 200 lbs of apples to become maybe 60 lbs in roughly 2 hours , then the real action came in at around 10:30 when the grunting started just inside the thicket area is a small semi open area under the hardwood canopy. I could hear a buck kicking up the ground , sounds of heavy scraping and chasing two does who never walked in to the apple pile . Next thing I knew was another 3 point buck who came thru the swamp , had the rifle up just waiting for one or the other to give that right shot , but thats when the clash between both erupted inside the thicket area , does at the apple pile scattered either direction .

Just could not believe they finally came in during full daylight mostly all together , the clash lasted maybe 5 mins and then nothing , just the sounds of them moving about back down the side of the hardwood ridge . I never moved till 1 pm then had to due to bladder needing drainage and regroup from what the morning provided. Left long enough to grab fresh thermos of coffee and grab a sandwich for back up in the stand.

By time I got back in to the stand there was a single doe once again in the apples and not wanting get busted I stayed still by a big hardwood watching , I know she felt my presence as she kept looking my way , finally moving off I watched and waited to get back up in the stand. Its been the best action and day of the season so far to hear those bucks fighting it out . Rest of the afternoon I tried few Doe bleats to draw out either buck , notta chance tho . As the sun started setting I once again could hear the snapping of branches from same area the bucks were going at it , but nothing appeared , just that sound of one walking back and forth 4:45 I finally got a look at what was making noise , the 8 pointer I've been watching last 2 weeks on camera only at night he's shown at the apple pile . The shot tho was not to be , he never gave me a clean take down shot for the time of day 5 Pm and it was a done day , backed out only to get busted by 3 does who were just on my trail head headed back in , what can you do but admit defeat for the day and hope for another chance .

Wednesday was nothing more than dragging back in another 250 lbs of apples and checking cameras , 8 pm that evening the 5 does had everything cleaned up , not a apple , pumpkin or cabbage leaf left . Nothing else moved after that Tuesday night or Wednesday morning . Backed out for rest that day , said I'll cone back Friday , another Father / Daughter hunt , no matter the weather called for rain she had 2 days off and wanted get back out hunting with me again and I never say no to having one of them tagging along .
Will ad once got the bait pile replenished , in the area the bucks were fighting it out are atleast 15 new scrapes and 4 different spots where they were battling it out plus more crap and track than all season long combined .
More to come for catch up on Friday and Saturdays hunts .

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
On to last Friday , it called for rain but once again my daughter insisted on us hunting so we rolled the dice for the morning at least , up at 4:30 to prep , shower and get breakfast at the cottage and get the heat on as well . Said to her we will check the new sets on way out and go from there .

Weather stayed calm till 8:30 when wind started and not long so did the rain , we sat still and waited things out till 11 pm when rain finally held up enough to walk back out , nothing moved , even squirrels b4 the rain stayed put , there was our sign things were not to be . Cameras showed evening b4 they were back but not at the pace in prior days . Soon as we got to the truck the sky opened up , dawned on the rain gear to check sets and it turned into a 2 coyote morning on drag sets / post scent , of course they worked and had one that took 10 mins in pouring rain to find , the other was trail side both curled up under heavy brush . Rest of the day was total was out due to heavy rain . Back to the cottage , look after my fur and settled down for supper my daughter made for us .sat down and watched the rains and wind settle down by about 7 pm , said we will try the other hardwood stand to see if they moved over as we keep a log book on activity at both sites, we find them moving stand to stand every day and half to two days .

Saturday morning pretty much started same as day b4 weather was cooler 3 *C , crispy and light frost , the other stand is easy 20-30 min hike in , its mix of hardwood and swamp with pockets of small spruce but when activity picks up there its steady usually very late season . Sat up in the ladder stand and simply took in the sunrise and sounds of grouse coming off the roost , our group of Whiskey Jacks moved thru several times thru the morning . Place was dead calm , every sound of every vistor could be heard thru out the stand and back side . Trying to whisper as not be heard and just move quietly while having coffee and snacks , at around 9:40 a lone small doe ( yearling ) made its way to the apples only to move along within a minute or so , when we heard a big doe bleat who was only 10 yards away beside a big maple , watched her every motion to see if her male counterpart was in tow . Nope just those two , they moved out only to return back a hour later and straight to tbe apples . Watching them to see what may take place , my daughter has a Doe Tag but saying that , if thats her option it must be a lone doe with no yearling trailing or joining her . We have enough bucks on camera to wait it out .

By 11:30 we made our way out for break time and trap checks , quiet on that end we made it back by 2 pm for last hours of the day , afternoon was filled with grouse moving about sometimes right at the foot of the ladder . Watching the sun go down the quietness set in with no more visitation to the apple pile.

Sunday came and figure We bring in another load of 200 lbs of apples to the ladder stand in the morning b4 my daughter headed home for work as I was staying the night again for Monday B4 the oncoming weather . After that it was just a day to get work done .

Pic of the full moon rising over the driveway to the cottage
Sky Astronomical object Science Electric blue Event

·
Registered
294 Posts
On to last Friday , it called for rain but once again my daughter insisted on us hunting so we rolled the dice for the morning at least , up at 4:30 to prep , shower and get breakfast at the cottage and get the heat on as well . Said to her we will check the new sets on way out and go from there .

Weather stayed calm till 8:30 when wind started and not long so did the rain , we sat still and waited things out till 11 pm when rain finally held up enough to walk back out , nothing moved , even squirrels b4 the rain stayed put , there was our sign things were not to be . Cameras showed evening b4 they were back but not at the pace in prior days . Soon as we got to the truck the sky opened up , dawned on the rain gear to check sets and it turned into a 2 coyote morning on drag sets / post scent , of course they worked and had one that took 10 mins in pouring rain to find , the other was trail side both curled up under heavy brush . Rest of the day was total was out due to heavy rain . Back to the cottage , look after my fur and settled down for supper my daughter made for us .sat down and watched the rains and wind settle down by about 7 pm , said we will try the other hardwood stand to see if they moved over as we keep a log book on activity at both sites, we find them moving stand to stand every day and half to two days .

Saturday morning pretty much started same as day b4 weather was cooler 3 *C , crispy and light frost , the other stand is easy 20-30 min hike in , its mix of hardwood and swamp with pockets of small spruce but when activity picks up there its steady usually very late season . Sat up in the ladder stand and simply took in the sunrise and sounds of grouse coming off the roost , our group of Whiskey Jacks moved thru several times thru the morning . Place was dead calm , every sound of every vistor could be heard thru out the stand and back side . Trying to whisper as not be heard and just move quietly while having coffee and snacks , at around 9:40 a lone small doe ( yearling ) made its way to the apples only to move along within a minute or so , when we heard a big doe bleat who was only 10 yards away beside a big maple , watched her every motion to see if her male counterpart was in tow . Nope just those two , they moved out only to return back a hour later and straight to tbe apples . Watching them to see what may take place , my daughter has a Doe Tag but saying that , if thats her option it must be a lone doe with no yearling trailing or joining her . We have enough bucks on camera to wait it out .

By 11:30 we made our way out for break time and trap checks , quiet on that end we made it back by 2 pm for last hours of the day , afternoon was filled with grouse moving about sometimes right at the foot of the ladder . Watching the sun go down the quietness set in with no more visitation to the apple pile.

Sunday came and figure We bring in another load of 200 lbs of apples to the ladder stand in the morning b4 my daughter headed home for work as I was staying the night again for Monday B4 the oncoming weather . After that it was just a day to get work done .
I love reading these stories! Spending time with your daughter in the woods is so special, my kids love time out there, they are still too young to hunt but soon enough! Looking forward to hearing more :)

·
Administrator
10,319 Posts
Nothin like getting your kids involved and then see the fruits of your labour blossom !

Ya got my vote for one of the best threads on NSH Walter !! Thanks for sharing your chronicles.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Nothin like getting your kids involved and then see the fruits of your labour blossom !

Ya got my vote for one of the best threads on NSH Walter !! Thanks for sharing your chronicles.
Thanks Kevin , and em.fisher .
more to come as the season rolls on

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Totally agree with Kevin and Em, awesome thread a great read keep them coming.
GOOD LUCK WALTER HOPE YOU GET ONE SOON!

Reactions: Tyson10gauge

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
Well going on to yesterdays hunt ( Monday )

Typical start to the day at the cottage , stood out on the deck and listened to the coyotes off in the distance at 5 :30 am , could also hear one of our resident Owls just off the side of me , was not far from I where was outside , Have not seen my friend the Owl in the big hardwood this yr , no idea what happened to it but have seen another in the small hardwood but that one stays clear of the box blind stand .

After the full moon last few days and impending weather should be few a few deer on the move , going roll the dice and go up in the big hardwood swamp ladder stand , after fresh load of apples in there on Sunday the smell of fermented fruit and several pounds of cabbage leaves hoping something will come thru in daylight once again .
It 's been trying as seeing them just at dusk and no clean shot , but that's hunting , off I go for short drive up then get my gear ready to walk in I pull up to my park area to see 2 big does and the large spike buck running up towards the trail head , did everything not to spook them anymore than just did . Well that 20-25 min walk took me 40-45 mins , having those deer just in front or either side I could hear them going up thru the swamp area . I crawled up that ladder stand and tried making as little noise doing so . Watched as the sun came up and winds being about 15-20 with light rain tapering off , even just to get on my big jacket from my rain jacket was a job and a half . Sat , waited then said going try a few doe bleats and see where that goes, nothing not a thing . After few hours and winds picking up I crawled down to check the cameras , well I said , over 300 plus pics and 79 videos from Sunday eve 5:13 pm till 1:37 Am Monday morning there was a party I missed out on , apples beat up , no cabbage leaves left once again and deer sign galore . Pics revealed 3-5 Does in at once and being chased by one of the two big 8 pointers maybe both .
Plant Black Tree Goat Fawn
Natural environment Plant Branch Tree Wood
Plant Black Tree Natural landscape Wood
Plant Black Tree Natural landscape Wood

These are just some of that action from the evening and night b4 , for some reason I walked back to the stand thru some thick ground cover only about 2 ft tall , I spotted what I knew was a antler shed several seasons old , A Ghost from yrs prior maybe even one I'm still chasing , after all the big 14 pointer from 2016 never got tagged on My end .
Plant Photograph Road surface Tree Asphalt

Sat in that stand despite the winds picking up I spent the day reviewing pics from my swapped out cards , I was trying to see where that big fella was coming and going , Checking the tracks , trails and such it was clear they are hanging down on lower side of the ravine by the river , traveling thru there in the thicket of alders and small thickets of hardwoods .

After a windy afternoon and nothing come to grace me it's presence , the days end at dusk said it was once again one for the books . Soon as I reached the forest floor , BUSTED ! Two does off to the side that stood in the cattails in the swamp and ran back towards the ravine , that sinking feeling of having one wind you after long day trying not to , but winds were circling Sw-Se not much you can do at dusk when trying retreat from you area. Back out I go to lock up and drive home for what today has presented as one miserable blustery and hopefully not a flooding day .

Thanks for taking the time to read , hope it's a enjoyment for all ?
for me back at it soon as storm passes .
Plant Black Natural landscape Tree Wood

41 - 60 of 62 Posts