Registered
6,746 Posts
Ffs R.E.D. N.E.C.K.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 · (Edited)
Good Morning Ladies and Gents ,

Another week has passed and my season is done for deer with closing of Muzzie season yesterday , well what can I say , I put countless hours and days in the stands and blinds , thru everything I had at it and came up skunked , not to say I could not harvested a smaller deer that came in different times small Spike with tall main beams .

My final two days Friday and Saturday , were very quiet , nothing at the apples or moving thru the hardwood or along the ridge after the storm , Friday was a hour hike in and out both ways due to snow being drifted in places 12-16 deep while other spots had nothing , hardwood stand had good 8-12 inches thru it . Checking their travel routes and see no fresh track was dis-heartning at best . Knew it was going be long day watching waiting and just taking it all in stride , with my normal visitors and sounds of the forest coming once again back to life after the fresh snowfall .

Damm if had a shotgun I could taken easily 6-10 rabbits moving thru the edge of the swamp into the alders and then back again after feeding and some nice size bunnies to boot ( I know where to set few snares tomorrow) . Besides that bit of action it was long day looking thru my binos trying catch glimpse of brown hiding in the background , to no avail it would not be the day either to take a nice mature buck .

Saturday started off my as any regular day with coffee in hand on the side deck only to see 3 sets fresh deer track going maybe 50 ft from the cottage up towards the trail head thru my wood road . Talk about getting last day in with fresh sign rubbed in my face , grabbed my gear and off I went knowing the walk in was not going be pleasant with milder temps making it slippery in spots and more water build up .

Getting to the stand and looking down at freshly dug up snow and 4 sets of track going just off the side of my stand and cameras , but not to the bait pile , was in disbelief . No activity to the apples , straight down the ravine side of the hardwood.
Never moved all day yesterday, from sunrise till sunset , large thermos of coffee and small one with hot soup for my lunch with few snacks and sandwiches I pushed for a long day , winds were light for most part 5\km W NW, made for good day with overcast and no shadows cast below me .

Tried my grunt call thru the day with few doe bleats , my only visitor was very big Doe around 10 am in response to a Doe bleat I let out 10 mins prior , she stayed 15-20 mins at edge of the hardwood ravine side , stomping her front legs back and forth , then over to the freshly dug up snow where the buck had active scrape , leaving her scent and droppings behind , I said oh plz just stick around and get one your boyfriends to slip up for just a minute or two , right then the grunting began from down hill and I scoured the edge line for his where abouts only to find he was on my backside about 70 yards out and looking straight up at me on the sharp incline of the ravine . Two quick snorts and he was gone along with the big Doe down the opposite way .

Tried figure out what went wrong , I never moved , I'm 14 ft to the deck of the stand off the ground , no wind , said WTF happened , she must been in cycle for him to come up outta the thicket , no way get a shot at him with out disturbing that doe and she clearly did not see me or hear me to be there 15-20 mins and go to the active scrape . Rest of the day my head was on a swivel trying figure out how or why he tore off . As the final hour came around I watched , listened and scanned the area , thinking these big boys got this area figured out pretty good and this is why they hide up here , waiting for the does to come thru b4 chasing them to a more comfortable spot to breed. Next yr will be different set up , more trees trimmed , longer shooting lane and so on , but not enough to spook them to badly , I 'll start in January with the battery pole saw , trimming little by little .

As the sun set and I crawled down from my perch and listened as legal light dwindled , I said to my self this chess match is over for this yr and I hope the big guys in here winter well and breed to spread their genes for yrs to come . That little Spike with tall bases will make nice deer in 2-3 yrs and those big fellas have given me a season to remember for sure . Skunked maybe but privileged to encounter such animals that truly gave me a challenge . None the less neither a win or a loss but memories made with both my son and daughter thru this season past .

·
Registered
920 Posts
Tyson 10 Gauge, I have followed your chronicles from early Goose until today and have enjoyed every word. You are a steward of the Great Out of Doors. Hopefully you continue your chronicles over the winter trapping and coyote season.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Tyson 10 Gauge, I have followed your chronicles from early Goose until today and have enjoyed every word. You are a steward of the Great Out of Doors. Hopefully you continue your chronicles over the winter trapping and coyote season.
Thanks ;
I'm heading back out in the morning to set some bunny snares and do some coyote snare checks , plus got 24 freshly done up Predator snares with extensions ready to be put down . There will be more Chronicles to come , still got 4-5 weeks of waterfowl left as well .

·
Registered
413 Posts
Reading your stories gets me that much more excited for next years deer season already lol. It seems like deer season is the fastest 3 months lol.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Reading your stories gets me that much more excited for next years deer season already lol. It seems like deer season is the fastest 3 months lol.
For me deer season never ends , I'm always planning for next season even during open season .

·
Administrator
10,510 Posts
Another good read this morning Walter !! Only issue I see is that small thermos you're using....lmao...I have 2 of those...one for chicken cuppa soup and the other for black coffee.
I / WE ...DO SO appreciate your time and effort to share these adventures with us. It's almost as good as being there !!

·
GREYBEARD
3,067 Posts
Another excellent read, thank you for sharing your season.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Walter, you started this thread with a great story, the middle and the end stories too where great reads, thank you for sharing. It is shame you could not tag the one you wanted, the season came around and went quick. But, I also find that each year it seems to come around quicker and quicker, that may also be due to getting older (time seems to go by faster!) As mentioned in the other thread, hubby had success this year and tagged a nice doe early season and a buck late season, so we will be enjoying them over the winter months. For the first time in 5 years, the buggers have been in our garden munching on our kale, so we spent yesterday sorting the fences out. Two nice bucks by the prints in the snow, hopefully they will stick around until next year. Congrats to all who had success, and congrats to all who learned new skills, found new places and in general spent time in the great outdoors observing nature, the best part of it all.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Walter, Thank-you very much for sharing your stories and adventures throughout the season. I enjoyed each and every one and it certainly helped to keep the adrenaline going during this, my favorite time of year. Thank-you and great job!!!

Dakota

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
More to come Ladies and Gents as the Small game , Duck hunting and Trapping seasons roll on , I'll post about todays trip once I get some rest from Brush Busting

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
More to come Ladies and Gents as the Small game , Duck hunting and Trapping seasons roll on , I'll post about todays trip once I get some rest from Brush Busting

Yes yes yes more to come- awesome!
A thread 100% about hunting trapping and the great outdoors!!!
Like you hunting is 365 days a year for me as well. This time of year is excellent for practice still hunting and seeing how close you can get and that’s what I’ll be doing tomorrow!
THANKS RED - NECK

Reactions: Tyson10gauge

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 · (Edited)
Good Evening ladies and gents ,

Well here we go on a recap of last week or so , got tied up between trips helping my son with the house he just bought , installing new kitchen cabinets and building walls down basement area, so not much time for getting to post .

Start off with Monday Dec. 13 , set out to get some rabbit snares out as well as coyote snares , day went quite good , flushed first rabbit of the yr , got about 8 sets of coyote snares in on different trails and our property boundary line trails . Was nice enough weather for bush whacking for bunnies . Must say they must be on down cycle, pockets of them are what's coming to be . A day filled with visiting haunts I travel regularly thru my travels as the yr goes on .
Water Water resources Plant Plant community Fluvial landforms of streams

This little brook feeds a lake out back side of our property where I got a canoe stashed for trout fishing , it also has small falls just up further , trout only come up so far and stop at the log jamb just b4 the falls . As day went on and snares got set , I was doing up a Coyote set and moving around quite a bit , could not see the rabbit that was hiding down in small hole under a sunken log in the moss and leaves , soon as I moved away from the set , the rabbit emerged about 15 ft from me , quick double whistle and it was game over for it . My dad's ole .410 made quick work of it . I make it a point to take this gun out later in the season and so far on last 5 trips its been out , its busted 1 rabbit and 4 grouse .
Road surface Dress Asphalt Fawn Wood

It's just like my side satchel bag , its been with me last 15-17 yrs , geting time for replacement but yet cannot find one suitable to replace it with , its like a o ld companion , hard to replace . The old .410 has a hidden meaning , I gave it to my dad some 28 yrs ago , he said anything happens to me , its yours again , but take me hunting when you go with it. So I had a small Vial of my Dad's ashes done up in a .410 Shell , took off the butt cap and there it has stayed for last 19 + yrs . Traveling with me and the gun ,taking rabbits and grouse over the yrs . No matter what the day brings when carring one my Late Father s guns with me in the woods , he's always there with me .
Plant Natural landscape Wood Twig Tree

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
That is an awesome idea with the ashes, Walter! I love it! Still recuperating so I'm living vicariously through your posts!
get well soon and take it easy thru the Holidays , More to come , got some time today to post on few more days .

·
Registered
15,757 Posts
Your bag looks like an early Mud River Messenger Style Shoulder Bag in the original mossy oak shadow grass pattern
I have a newer version here
Still being made. Camo Pattern has been changed somewhat but bag still looks a lot like yours
Take care

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Your bag looks like an early Mud River Messenger Style Shoulder Bag in the original mossy oak shadow grass pattern
I have a newer version here
Still being made. Camo Pattern has been changed somewhat but bag still looks a lot like yours
Take care
Thanks , tried finding one identical to it last couple yrs , one snap is broken , few wear spots starting come thru , plus inside is well worn , its got many hunting and even fishing trips over the yrs , many miles of trails , off roads and bush trips on the ole thing , its paid for itself tenfold

81 - 100 of 118 Posts