Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
16,480 Posts
Thanks , tried finding one identical to it last couple yrs , one snap is broken , few wear spots starting come thru , plus inside is well worn , its got many hunting and even fishing trips over the yrs , many miles of trails , off roads and bush trips on the ole thing , its paid for itself tenfold
Does yours have a removable water proof liner. If it does it may be another brand I have seen
Most seem to be called shoulder messenger bags however. I got mine for dog training which seems to be the big end use for them
But a great bag as you say
Take care

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Does yours have a removable water proof liner. If it does it may be another brand I have seen
Most seem to be called shoulder messenger bags however. I got mine for dog training which seems to be the big end use for them
But a great bag as you say
Take care
No , it has a non removable waterproof liner , Its heavy Cordura shell , heavy weave nylon style waterproof liner , inside flap is really starting flake , and crack apart .

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Moving up to Thursday Dec. 16 ,

Day started of very calm with light snowfall coming down thru the night , Up at 4 am as had drive from home , with roads being snow covered with icy spots on some the more sharper turns the 1 & 20-40 min drive easily took 2 + hours .

None the less after after stop for a coffee and enjoying the fresh snow fall while watching for eyes looking back at me along the road , catching 4 different Foxes crossing or walking ditch side , ( good looking fur at that ). Getting out to start checking first snare sets watching for fresh tracks coming , going or circling my sets as always . Same time looking for fresh rabbit runs for new spots . It was certainly a day for rain gear in the woods to keep the wet heavy snow from giving me a soaking as my day went by .

After first walk up to my snare trail for bunnies the obvious sign of fresh coyote track going right in the trail opening , well that got fixed quickly with double trail set
Snow Plant Natural landscape Twig Wood
Snow Twig Plant Wood Evergreen

The snow continued on thru the day making it impossible most times to see thru or around any heavy cover areas . What a difference from last couple days out to a snow filled day , the landscape can change so fast in detail with fresh snow , or new foliage even with the coming on of fall as leaves drop . Details of such can alter ones perception of the area . None the less the day ended with just one rabbit snared and no fur . Theres always another day , for this day was now to head back home as work needed be done at my sons house .

·
Registered
16,480 Posts

·
Administrator
10,865 Posts
Great reading..thanks Walter ! I always said I wanted some of my ashes put in the Atlantic and the Pacific. I spent 35 yrs runnin coast to coast. BC holds a lot of great memories and dear friends too.
Then I'd like to have someone to load a box of 12 ga hulls with some, and then, have some of my buddies and my grandsons shoot them off at the clubs I've been shooting at for the past 30 years...lol
Probably be enuff ashes to load several flats 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 · (Edited)
Good Evening Everyone ,

On to another Chronicle of the current day , well what a very wild weather day it was for waterfowl hunting , up at 4 Am and out the door by 4:30 , grab a java at Micki D's and away I went for a very wet and windy drive for next hour plus to lower end of the Island ( Framboise area ).

Took my time as well since legal time was not for 7:14 Am , but still love the drive early mornings to watch for wildlife , to no avail with heavy rain at times , gusting winds , only thing to be spotted was a Fox that tucked itself inside a culvert along the highway .

Got down to one my regular blinds and parked the truck down in the field , and just sat listening to sounds of a angry Ocean and winds with rains that came and went with the gust , tides were dropping fast but still lots of water to be found in side the salt marsh , ( storm surge ). Set out a plan for crossing the murky channels and took the old way that takes me in a longer route but cuts out the new double channel crossing that has few soft muddy spots , something you really don't want get caught in by yourself or in the darkness . By 6:30 am I was geared up and ready to get out to the Island blind , well lets say it was a wild crossing and soon as I got to the side where the blind is , wind was right in my face off the raging ocean .
Water Sky Natural landscape Lacustrine plain Fluvial landforms of streams

When the rains picked up only thing to do was lower your head , hold onto the rain gear hood and hunker down for it to pass trying to spot ducks coming outta no where at times and getting blown around off course and at times outta range . Just get ready to squeeze off a rounds and its a no go . Managed bag One Black Duck , only shot I got off thru the morning .
Water Bird Liquid Fluid Beak

Had lots these little guys around all morning ( Little Auks) , at times a dozen or more coming to the decoys or just resting along the shore after getting blown in from open water , very tame to and curious . Even stopped my hunting to see how close I could get up close .
Water Plant Wood Lake Beach

by 9:30 am it was time to get off the island and cross over to safer ground , tide was rising fast and did not want get caught out on the storm surge flats . Birds thru the morning were pushed around , fighting the winds best they could , winds and rain in the face was piercing at times 40-70km gusts , but thats waterfowling on these rough and stormy days , I'll take it any day over staying at home wishing I was out and not working away

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Set up my spread to resemble resting birds on or along the shore line and grasses , it worked as birds were willing to pitch in till winds would blow them off course or away and outta range , no sense Sky Blasting or scaring them off , some made several attempts to get in range but winds just not co-operate to allow it.

·
Registered
16,480 Posts
Interesting Walter you show those Little Auks. They were on the news tonight a few were dropped off at the wildlife hospital this week.
They say they got off course in the last storm and rarely get this close to land noi idea if that is true or not
Cool little bird
Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Little Auks are a off shore deep diving duck , 30 meters down , Storm surges and storms have blown them in off the open ocean . Seen that on the news myself , they say they were in distress from being blown inland , but IMHO not so , just cant get back out with constant rough seas and now snow storm coming . Must seen several dozen flying around , landing and moving about thru the few hours I was there . This is from all my own observation

·
Registered
16,480 Posts
Little Auks are a off shore deep diving duck , 30 meters down , Storm surges and storms have blown them in off the open ocean . Seen that on the news myself , they say they were in distress from being blown inland , but IMHO not so , just cant get back out with constant rough seas and now snow storm coming . Must seen several dozen flying around , landing and moving about thru the few hours I was there . This is from all my own observation
Makes perfect sense to me
take care

·
Administrator
10,865 Posts
they were called bull birds when we were growing up, still are to this day here. Least to us older folk. Most millennials wouldn't have a clue ...they always come around the ice free harbors in the winter time.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
My Season came to grinding hault , literally on Jan 14 , after 2 days of waterfowling , barely made it home with blown rear wheel bearing and rear seal , so in the Garage the Toyota went for full overhaul to either repair , replace b4 needed or upgrade b4 fishing season comes along .

not to say this is going be cheap , cause it's not . 4 new wheel bearings al l around , new CV HD Axles for the front , Rebuild both front and back drive shafts , rear wheel seals , back brake lines , rear wheel cylinders , parking brake cables both sides . Either needs be done now or later , so while its half torn apart , its all getting done . Good thing is I've got time on my hands and dry place to do it .

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I guess this thread is good a place as any to post my days adventure.

A few days ago I finally got around to setting some rabbit snares as I’m working not far from where I usually hunt so I can just stop by on way home. First trip out it was hard to find good snare spots. Lots of tracks but mostly just randomly running, nothing really funnelled together. Combined with hard crusty snow under the brush so no tracks it was kind of just a guess where I set them. So no surprise no rabbits first check. Set a pile more with some better trails forming and caught one Thursday morning. Still alive in snare poor thing. Kinda weird it was caught perfect around neck but just sitting there. Set a bunch more yesterday so a total of about 15 or so out.

Took the two oldest girls out this morning to check them before the storm picked up and also turned them all up as I don’t know what kind of mess we are getting this evening. Hard to say if it will freeze the snares or maybe can’t get out tomorrow so sensible thing was turn them all up.

Well, the two girls must be my good luck charms as we found 4 in the line today! Sadly once again the first one was alive, again caught around the neck. I was a little worried about what the kids would think seeing it caught alive and then me have to shoot it but they didn’t even flinch, I’ve done well with them so far I guess. 6 and 4 they are right now but I’ve been bringing home rabbits and ducks and deer since they were babies and have taken them duck and deer hunting.

It was great seeing their excitement at finding the marker tapes on branches and then trying to find the snare and then even more when we would find one caught. The weather held off well enough, it was snowing constant but light while out there and they had a great time being pulled in the pelican sled.
Snow Plant People in nature Leaf Tree

Snow Freezing Jacket Event Winter

101 - 120 of 136 Posts