Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Double whammy right there, TrueGrit. Congrats !! Doesn’t matter what game I am hunting … if I see a ‘yote … it turns into coyote season real quick.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I agree on the Bushnell’s with Rainguard…. I have 3 of them. Fantastic during damp, rainy weather. As for the deer changing it up … I totally agree. Most of my camera activity is through the night or mid-day. I had a very close encounter with a “very eager” 4 pointer yesterday around 11 am. I heard him grunt 3 times, so I hit the Doe in heat bleat and sprayed a few mists of estrous doe scent in the air. I could hear him circling me and blowing at me. Obviously he could smell me, but the urge was too much. I hit the bleat a couple more times, and he came running right towards me. To my disappointment … he was only a 4 pt. I was hoping it was the big one. He probably got to within 15 yards before he veered off and went up through the woods. Very exciting. I love being in the woods at first light, but I’m starting to think that I should sleep in and go in around 10.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I remember seeing it when she posted it on Fakebook. Some comments were kind of rude. “How can she shoot a sacred deer” … and the likes. Good for her. It’s a beautiful animal and I would not hesitate to pull the trigger on that. VERY worthy of a shoulder mount. Not sure if she is getting this one done or not.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I’m sure every hunter at some point in their hunting career has had a “buck fever” experience. 1993 was mine. Missed a B&C buck at about 100 yards. I was hunting a fresh chopping and heard this buck continuously grunting. I couldn’t see him but he was getting closer and closer, and my heart was racing faster and faster. When I eventually saw him, he was walking the edge of this chopping. When I put the crosshairs on him, no way I was steady. Had I walked another 30 feet, I could have rested against a tree. I tried my best to steady and pulled the trigger. He stood there and looked at me and then turned and walked into the woods. I was sick. Probably the biggest buck I would ever shoot in my life … gone, just like that. I continued to follow his tracks but no such luck. A kid in the neighborhood shot him a few days later. I think it was his first year hunting and his first deer. Not exactly sure of the score, but it was around 172 net Boone and Crockett, with a very symmetrical 10 point rack. It’s in one of the editions of the NS record books. So … yes it happens. even to this day, when I see a deer in the woods, whether buck or doe, it still gets my heart racing a little bit. I would like to say that will be your last case of buck fever, but we all know it won’t be. Keep on hunting !!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I have the same problem TS. A few does buzzing around and numerous small bucks (1.5 years old). The big ones that normally pass through are not around. Checked all cams today. 6 pointer passed through yesterday and I have a 5 pointer that I could set my watch to. Saw him many times. Nothing I want to put a tag on.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
1993 was the first year for "buck only" ... at least it was for my neck of the woods. (Zone 102). I had 2 target bucks this year. I don't shoot she deer or small bucks. My one target buck broke his whole right antler off, so he gets a pass from me this year. ...and my other one disappeared. I know they have a large territory. I had pics of a bigger 4 point that was shot 3.5 km away. I'm assuming the other large one is in a freezer or has found a harem. I still keep going, because you never know when a big one will pass through... especially this time of year.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Congrats on the deer !! … and I agree … the new format is much more user friendly. I was hoping to grace these pages with pics and a story of my buck … but the darn thing won’t make an appearance while I’m there !! Still have a week and then another week with the smoke pole. I have a lot of activity around my camp recently. Two small bucks, with each an antler broken off, that I can almost set my watch to … a 5 point, several does and fawns. And recently … a nice 8 point. Of course … he was out Thursday morning at 7:45 am … and I had an appointment and couldn’t go. That’s how my luck goes. Congrats to all those that tagged out. There seems to be an abundance of really nice deer taken this year. I’m on a few FB groups, and there is some dandy’s on there.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
The deer have covid this year … according to some studies .. so they are doing everyone a favour and practicing social distancing. On a more serious note … I have had a really weird season myself. The deer numbers have dropped considerably.… almost to the point of concern.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I wear a mask when I have to enter a retail store.... only because I have to ... BUT ... I'll be GODDAMNED if I'm wearing one while processing a deer. They'll soon want you to wear one in your living room while you're watching TV.... when you're alone !! Lord knows ... I see enough people driving their car .... alone ... with their GD mask on. People must be scared to death of this flu.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
DDD .... The deer are here when I'm here. I chase them off the bait pile, only for them to walk out 15 min later. I have 2 in particular that I can almost set my watch to. When there are carrots there ... they will come out every 2 hours until they are gone. Doesn't matter what time of day. The weird part for me, is the lack of doe's and bigger bucks. Places where I have hunted for 30 years with healthy deer populations are almost null and void of deer. That is strange.... especially when it's only me hunting that area. Good numbers last year ... this year it seems they packed up and left.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
That's awesome. Never know where they will be. I sat for 3 hours this afternoon and never saw a thing. First time in a few weeks that my unicorns didn't show.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Great job em. I tried do it once and it was an epic failure. Now I just buy the Uncle Mike's plastic skulls. They look good but just not the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts