Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Congrats. Hoping to head out today. Had a little stumbling block this week, got hauled in for laser eye surgery. Old eye is not feeling the best, hoping it comes around today. Good week of temperatures coming up.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Congrats. Hoping to head out today. Had a little stumbling block this week, got hauled in for laser eye surgery. Old eye is not feeling the best, hoping it comes around today. Good week of temperatures coming up.
Ha ha- waiting for my phone call, getting the lens replaced in both eyes. Who’s you doc?
Dr, Magdalena Kujath. My original doc was Scott, believe he retired because of covid. I was a bit worried, took her four attempts, eye is still pretty sore. Not sure it went as well as it should.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
" took long time to heal and was quite sore for a long time...hope yours is the same now ".....that wasn't very nice Mr Cheerful ;)
The coyotes are sneaking in on my right side now (bad eye) there smart:)
I'm sorry Thunderstick it is not what I was trying to say but see it as Kevin posted somewhat he left the came around out however :rolleyes:
I wanted to say hers took a long time to heal and was sore for a long time but in the end it was fine that is what I want for you
Not pain for a long time and then a bum eye
We beat each other here for sure but never would I want you to experience any pain or lose your eyesight
My apologies for not being clear
Especially when you won't get a vaccine and grow a third eye :p
Joe
I
I'm sorry Thunderstick it is not what I was trying to say but see it as Kevin posted somewhat he left the came around out however :rolleyes:
I wanted to say hers took a long time to heal and was sore for a long time but in the end it was fine that is what I want for you
Not pain for a long time and then a bum eye
We beat each other here for sure but never would I want you to experience any pain or lose your eyesight
My apologies for not being clear
Especially when you won't get a vaccine and grow a third eye :p
Joe
I never took it that way, leave to Kevin to always be examining everything.:) Had a blocked drain in my eye. They stuck one of those spigots in it for tapping maple syrup.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Seems to be the strangest, hardest year yet, Just no patterning anything in my woods. Doe after doe, as many as 13 one evening then nothing for the last week or more. I have been going since last week September. Only seen on 2 point, 3, and 4. Terribly small bodied. Got tired getting up at 5 yesterday and going and seeing nothing. Stayed home instead to do some work and a recharge. Headed out yesterday for the evening hunt early to get to the blind and set up. Windy, cold, -1. First day really with the proper wind direction. Same old nothing as the clock ticked down. Started to fight off a chill for some reason, not what one wants at that time. 4:45 and wait a doe pops out on the old road below me heading to my bait pile. Half way there she is frightened to death by something and runs away over the hill. Before I could take in what happened, was it that bear again I get a glimpse of a buck as he jumped jumped the road below in hot persuit. Wondering what to do I gave it a couple minutes then grunted. Few minutes went by and I see a deer coming, its a doe. Its coming from where the one had run. She makes it to the pile and starts to eat. This was short lived as something again scared her of the bait. I took the rifle up and to my surprise it was the 4 pointer. Thinking is this as good as this year gets and examining him in the scope, he too becomes alarmed. As he takes of I see a buck coming barreling out at him diagonally across the bait pile. Not much light left by this time and having the rifle already up on that spot, when brown went through the hairs I pulled. The buck just accelerated. Disappointment, have I missed? why did I even shoot with such a poor opportunity? Down out of the blind, proceeded to the pile to only be faced with the 4 pointer who is there pounding the ground and snorting at me, 20 feet away. I left him there to search in the direction I thought the buck went. There is no sign, no blood. A few circles nothing out of place, no blood on saplings, no turned up sod, etc. Its really now flashlight time. Back to the bait pile with the 4 pointer still there. He is snorting again. I had laid out my bait in a long line this year because of the cranky porcupine not letting others eat. Looking further up the bait pile there was a big clump of brown hair. The hair was a considerable amount. Now getting a better reference I headed to the tree line. No blood but did pic up a track where sod was over turned. Yep he went this way. Still no blood to be found just the track, a little ways ahead I could see a head with horns turn and yes I had to finish the job there with the light. There was still next to nothing for blood to be found. Hit him on the run on the edge of the shoulder, appears to be the only damage, could have been much worse with the 356. Got to thank the guy that reloads my ammo. Healing day, my body is old and sore. Snow and crap here this am.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Good job you old Goat :p I knew you would do it. Nice deer Don't you carry a spray of peroxide
I bet you would find some blood spots back when I hunted deer it save my ass a few times
Take care
I save the peroxide for my injuries :) I think I need a case. The wife being a jokester bought wine weeks back. She said its for the buck celebration. She never chilled it because no on she said would be drinking it. I told her to pay up.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
A big storm is moving in at what would of been the best weeks of hunting. Heres hoping many still can fill there tag. It is a strange year. The season clicked off fast, this is not going to help folks. Going today to prep for power outages etc. Good luck every one, deer , storm and all.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Caught a full case of buck fever today. Decided to give up the bait pile as the bears have claimed victory over that. Ventured out to some logging roads with my father that I’ve frequented in the past, parked the truck at sunrise and started walking the edge of the clear cut. 10 mins in we bumped 3 deer over the ridge ahead of us, wind was in our face so I decided to let out a few grunts. 15 mins later I see a spike come up over the ridge where the other 3 went. Let him get within about 40yds and decided to let him walk. (2nd spike I’ve passed on in 2 days). Jokingly said to myself “Lord there better be some good fortune in my future” lol. Hunted the whole perimeter of that cut and decided to go out into another cut we’ve never hunted before. Got on a real solid deer trail around 2:30pm walking a hardwood ridge, fresh droppings still warm, scrapes everywhere. As we come out the backside of the ridge back into the clear cut, my father stops me and says “don’t move, there’s a monster buck out there”. Sure enough, 50-75yds into the cut theres this beautiful thick framed buck bedded down on a south facing slope in the sun. Winds in our face, he’s got no clue we’re there. Ok how do we get him now? Moved around trying to get a clear shot as there was a ton of whips and alders in the way. Got setup, thought I had a clean shot. BANG! Buck stands up, looks at me and takes off. Crap! Went and checked for blood, it was a clean miss. Shot right over his back. My fault, I rushed it. Kicking myself pretty good over that one now.
Opps, sure sounds like a place to be setting.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I’m sure every hunter at some point in their hunting career has had a “buck fever” experience. 1993 was mine. Missed a B&C buck at about 100 yards. I was hunting a fresh chopping and heard this buck continuously grunting. I couldn’t see him but he was getting closer and closer, and my heart was racing faster and faster. When I eventually saw him, he was walking the edge of this chopping. When I put the crosshairs on him, no way I was steady. Had I walked another 30 feet, I could have rested against a tree. I tried my best to steady and pulled the trigger. He stood there and looked at me and then turned and walked into the woods. I was sick. Probably the biggest buck I would ever shoot in my life … gone, just like that. I continued to follow his tracks but no such luck. A kid in the neighborhood shot him a few days later. I think it was his first year hunting and his first deer. Not exactly sure of the score, but it was around 172 net Boone and Crockett, with a very symmetrical 10 point rack. It’s in one of the editions of the NS record books. So … yes it happens. even to this day, when I see a deer in the woods, whether buck or doe, it still gets my heart racing a little bit. I would like to say that will be your last case of buck fever, but we all know it won’t be. Keep on hunting !!
Over the years I have come up with a practice of blocking out whats about to go down by looking away, trying to think of something else and breath, I found over the years keeping eyes on the buck just made things worse with the anticipation of it finally stepping out on the bait pile. At the time it steps out every thing is immediate, happens so fast, I don't wait, I have little time to think or shake. I never go to the woods any more for a sit unless I have two hand warmers in an old sock stuffed down between my first two shirts in the middle of my back. That has been a game changer for me, I can last hours. Some really cold days I also place them in my boots and gloves. Getting a chill at the same time you see a big one is not good, not good at all.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
The hot hands brand??? they must be the grabbers for that
I have the hot hands working levers:p Yes think they are grabbers I believe. Every once and a while I will hit a package that becomes so hot I basically have to strip down to get the friggers out.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Decided to get out early this am. Got in the blind early around 6:10. After 20 minutes or so snorting starts on the other side of the bait pile. Had the right wind, never stirred, not something I caused, could be another buck approaching someones territory. Light comes on and a hour later 5 does come by, that was it for the morning so left at 10:00. Snowed here all day, bait pile was covered when I left. Went back in at 2:00, bait pile is uncovered. Nothing until around 4:00 when a small buck jumps the road on the edge of the hill. Couple grunts, 45 minutes later he comes around, 5 pointer, skinny, small, ate two carrots and carried on. Beautiful day in the woods, snow and cold. Really don't think there are any big ones this year poking around. Nothing bothering the does it seems.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Morning started off with a doe being chased of the pile by the 5 point who had a travelling companion with him a 3. They left, in come a two does each with fawns, stayed 30 minutes, they ate and left and they were then followed by 4 mature does? All these does and no bucks but the small 5 and 3 farting around. Another perfect morning. I really think the zone is showing the big bucks are way down in numbers. Hopefully these little fellows make it through the season.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Funny my bud was saying the same thing this morning and I asked how many did you kill there in the last three years and he said 6. But that has nothing to do with it he thinks
Cheers
The side of the mountain I am on, 13 mature bucks were taken in a 5 click area two years ago. I am hunting where I don't really want to be hunting as the terrian is steadily shrinking. People from Ontario bought lands, its all being cleared for homes. 5 new house have gone up in the last year. The hill side is being stripped for lumber. The areas where deer once had cover to cross from farm to farm is now gone. Its very hard finding woods. What is left is where groups of idiot hunters gather fighting and sitting looking at each other. I am surprised no one is shot. Really going to have to put the thinking cap on for next year.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
We are also seeing so much development around here, time in woods was once quiet, now all we here is people, cars and ATV's :(
Yes I smell burning brush, listen to excavator tracks clicking, power saws, dump trucks etc each day. Deer will still hide in these close areas but they are not rifle hunting areas, mine is heading that way. I hear a camp ground may go up next. Drove to Truro a week or so ago. Had to be twenty dead deer splattered on concreate. Man is developing everything.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Several hours in the stand today. Final count 15 does two small bucks. Over and over again. I think I will name them. The captain says I should stay home tomorrow :p

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Well I finally scored yesterday this was a weird season the first of it was all bears. They ate up 450lbs of apples real quick.I stopped feeding them for a week and rebaited nothing came for about 10 days then last Saturday I noticed apples being ate (don,t use trail cams) Last night with about 5 minutes of legal shooting light I saw movement and brought scope up to look 7 pointer standing there but could only see head and neck so neck shot fell in the apple pile and did not move.This was the onlly deer i saw all season no does or fawns or spikes.Thank god for good optics and a strong nephew
I only seen one eight, if I had missed on the run that would have been it. Seen lots of deer, all does and one young 5, if one called it that. Since the so called rut I have had 8 mature does by the bait pile but attracted nothing, Yesterday evening had a doe and two fawns that were chased off the pile by the baby bear I have stuck at my site. From 3-5 o'clock 8 does came in almost to the bait pile but the little bears presence stopped them. They did get pretty close to the little bear, twenty feet but that was as far as they would come. They tried for two hours running in circles before given up. The last to arrive was the 5 but he too eventually moved on. Least amount of bucks I ever seen, the behavior of the deer made no sense. I really have not seen a hungry deer yet, one that stayed longer than a couple minutes on the pile. Congrats.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts